Who will light the LA cauldron in 2028??

40 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Again I repeat... Venus and Serena Williams. Honestly, I don't understand where this is much debate. Other than Michael Phelps, what's the justification for picking someone over Venus and Serena? 

psst.. people are allowed to have opinions that differ from yours.  I agree that Venus/Serena are an excellent choice.  Doesn't mean there isn't a case to be made for other athletes, and not just Phelps.  i.e. Allyson Felix, speaking of athletes born and raised in LA. 

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

psst.. people are allowed to have opinions that differ from yours.  I agree that Venus/Serena are an excellent choice.  Doesn't mean there isn't a case to be made for other athletes, and not just Phelps.  i.e. Allyson Felix, speaking of athletes born and raised in LA. 

Well, yeah. I'm all for other opinions. That's why I asked. So... what's the justification for Allyson Felix over the William's Sisters?

3 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Well, yeah. I'm all for other opinions. That's why I asked. So... what's the justification for Allyson Felix over the William's Sisters?

Well, initially you didn't ask though.  You "repeated" something you had yet to bring up in this thread and immediately tell the rest of us to stop debating and just cede to your choice.  The case for Venus and Serena is obvious, but again, not like it's them or Phelps and no one else should even be consider.  So, Felix..

9 medals, 6 of them gold.  No American woman has won medals.  No female track athlete has been more successful.  5-time winner of the Jackie-Joyner Kersee award.  She's worked on programs involving the Obamas and the White House, less anyone thinks her fame and success doesn't extend beyond the track.  And yes, she's from Los Angeles.

Again, I'm not doubting the case for the Williams sisters, who are cultural icons in a way few female athletes ever have been.  Doesn't mean that they're the only logical choice on this one, aside maybe from Phelps.  Could make a case for Carl Lewis as well (not from LA, but has strong roots with the Santa Monica Track Club)

On 6/29/2017 at 4:36 PM, zekekelso said:

Again I repeat... Venus and Serena Williams. Honestly, I don't understand where this is much debate. Other than Michael Phelps, what's the justification for picking someone over Venus and Serena? 

Well for Venus I don't think we should award this opportunity to a murderer.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/venus-says-shes-heartbroken-by-fatal-accident/ar-BBDvuPT?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Here's another thought.. how about Katie Ledecky?  Obviously depends on what she does over the next 10 years.  Not inconceivable to think by then, she might have more gold medals than any female Olympian ever and only trail Michael Phelps overall.  And who knows, might even still be competing in 2028.  She'll be 31 by then, old for a swimmer, but perhaps still competing.

On 7/1/2017 at 1:21 AM, LatinXTC said:

Well for Venus I don't think we should award this opportunity to a murderer.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/venus-says-shes-heartbroken-by-fatal-accident/ar-BBDvuPT?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Good thing then Venus didn't actually murder anyone..

Venus Williams crash: Police say she drove 'lawfully' before fatal accident

• 2 weeks later...

Given the intensity of iconic options possible - it wouldn't surprise me if LA did a London and gathered a diverse bunch of young Angelenos to light the cauldron (perhaps in an SLC 2002 kind of way if they use the 1932 cauldron). Would also fit the LA narrative of urban regeneration and hope . 

On 5/22/2017 at 1:50 AM, JesseSaenz said:

LA 2024 = Kobe Bryant #24 of the LA Lakers seemed like a no brainer. He turned Staples Center into the globally recognized venue it is today.

That or Venus and Serena Williams

I'm only vaguely aware of the Staples Centre, and  I'm not sure sports stars in very American sports have the global reach you think. But Venus and Serena are true global superstars....in every way them lighting the cauldron would be perfect.

54 minutes ago, jtrevino said:

They should. If that's a current photo, it looks to be in good working order and shape. So the Coliseum will see 3 Olympics. Are there any other venues/stadiums in the world that have that legacy? In Paris, Athens, London? 

The only city. Tokyo will utilise a rebuilt Olympic Stadium. 

While Athens and London reused existing previous stadiums for other sports, only Los Angeles can boast the same stadium for track and field for possibly three Olympics. 

I truly hope LA does put the ceremonies in the new stadium at Hollywood Park - even if it means a less high tech ceremony can be staged at the Coliseum. The heritage value of the event is too much to ignore, and the disconnect in Rio made me feel there was a lack of 'spirit' to the occasion having the ceremonies in a football stadium. 

2 hours ago, Kenadian said:

Do you think LA will reuse cauldron from the 1932 and 1984 Games?

maxresdefault.jpg

It probably will.  I don't see why they should bypass it.  If anything, they might have a small copy of it @ the new stadium in Inglewood.  They could dress it up a little -- altho that end of the Stadium has Landmark status so they can't fiddle too much with anything on the peristyle end.   For 1984, there was a plan to install a cup around it so it would have looked more like like the traditional cup-like caldera of other Games.  

• Thanks 1