All-Time Olympic Winter Games Medal Tally

Guardian

With less than 6 months to go, I hope Torino is ready for all these athletes.

I think it is - and besides they will be many test events

I think the testing is pretty much done now. It is only the matter of touching up things and prepare for the athletes' arrival.

• 4 months later...
With Torino 2006 coming up in just over a year from now, I thought I refresh the post I made a while back here. For starters, here is the Infoplease.com list of the top 10 nations (current and former) in number of medals won since 1924. By the way, this does include the figure skating medals of 1908 and 1920, with the ice hockey medals of 1920:

1. Norway (263)

2. Former USSR (194)

3. USA (193)

4. Austria (162)

5. Finland (142)

6. UNIFIED Germany (125)

7. East Germany (118)

8. Sweden (108)

9. Switzerland (103)

10. Canada (96)

Oh, yeah. Host nation Italy is #11 with 89 medals.

For more details, come to this link:

All-Time Medal Standings For The Winter Olympics By Infoplease.com

1 month to go before Torino 2006 starts. Let the medal predictions begin.  :;):

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This piece of news could bring the overall Olympic medal tallies up for a couple of nations up slightly, but we don't know what will come of it.

If you didn't hear it before, here it is: the first Olympic curling event from Chamonix 1924 WILL COUNT AS AN OFFICIAL OLYMPIC EVENT. Because of this news, the MEN'S ONLY TEAMS of Great Britain, Sweden and France will have their medal wins as official. As for the other ones, that will be a wait-and-see game.

News Link: 1924 Curling Medals Count: IOC

• 2 weeks later...

With Torino 2006 coming up in just over a year from now, I thought I refresh the post I made a while back here. For starters, here is the Infoplease.com list of the top 10 nations (current and former) in number of medals won since 1924. By the way, this does include the figure skating medals of 1908 and 1920, with the ice hockey medals of 1920:

1. Norway (263)

2. Former USSR (194)

3. USA (193)

4. Austria (162)

5. Finland (142)

6. UNIFIED Germany (125)

7. East Germany (118)

8. Sweden (108)

9. Switzerland (103)

10. Canada (96)

Oh, yeah. Host nation Italy is #11 with 89 medals.

For more details, come to this link:

All-Time Medal Standings For The Winter Olympics By Infoplease.com

Now, the race for the Torino 2006 medals is over. Tentatively, with possible changes that could come about later on between now and Vancouver 2010, this is what I see at this time:

1. Norway -> 263 + 19 = 282

2. USA -> 193 + 25 = 218

3. Former USSR with 194

4. Austria -> 162 + 23 = 185

5. UNIFIED Germany -> 125 + 29 = 154

6. Finland -> 142 + 9 = 151

7. Sweden -> 109 + 14 = 123*

8. Canada -> 96 + 24 = 120

9. Former East Germany with 118

10. Switzerland -> 103 + 14 = 117

As for Italy, it has exactly 100 medals to its credit by winning 11 medals on home soil for 2006.

* The men's only 1924 curling results went official just recently.

• 1 month later...

This is how I would do the medal count:

I would combine the medal totals from the unified teams, East Germany, and West Germany to make the grand total for Germany.

And I would also retroactively give the medals won by the USSR, Czechoslovakia, and Yugoslavia to Russia, Czech Republic, and Serbia & Montenegro, only because the three latter countries were the main hubs of their respective predecessors.

And the medals that a unified Korean team would win in Beijing would retroactively go to South Korea, only because the majority of medalists from the team would be from South Korea, and since that part of the peninsula is considered to be the hub of the Korean nation.

But that's just me.

• 10 months later...

For me, from where I am, it is quite a moment for the Olympic Movement. We are in the midst of the one-year anniversary of Torino 2006; today being the THREE YEARS TO GO to Vancouver 2010 celebration and Calgary is going to celebrate the 19th anniversary of the 1988 Olympic Winter Games tomorrow.

According to this very link about overall Olympic Winter Games medal tally since the Chamonix 1924 Winter Olympics AND certain winter sports that was held in those past Summer Olympics, the update statistics (according to them) on Olympic medals won by nations over the years show by gold medals won. Yes, that does include nations that "doesn't exist anymore." This latest update does include the Torino 2006 tally.

1. Norway -> 98 gold, 98 silver, 84 bronze = 280 medals (FIRST in both categories)

2. USA -> 78 gold, 80 silver, 58 bronze = 216 medals (SECOND in both categories)

3. FORMER Soviet Union -> 78 gold, 57 silver, 59 bronze = 194 medals (SECOND (tie) in gold medals; THIRD in total medals)

4. UNIFIED Germany -> 57 gold, 57 silver, 39 bronze = 153 medals (THIRD in gold medals; FIFTH in total medals)

5. Austria -> 51 gold, 64 silver, 70 bronze = 185 medals (FOURTH in both categories)

6. Sweden -> 43 gold, 31 silver, 44 bronze = 118 medals (FIFTH in gold medals; EIGHTH in total medals)

7. Finland -> 41 gold, 58 silver, 52 bronze = 151 medals (SIXTH in both categories)

8. FORMER EAST Germany -> 40 gold, 38 silver, 37 bronze = 115 medals (SEVENTH in gold medals; NINTH in total medals)

9. Canada -> 38 gold, 38 silver, 43 bronze = 119 medals (EIGHTH (tie) for gold medals; SEVENTH in total medals)

10. Switzerland -> 38 gold, 37 silver, 34 bronze = 101 medals (EIGHTH (tie) for gold medals; TENTH (tie) in total medals)

11. Italy -> 36 gold, 31 silver, 34 bronze = 101 medals (NINTH in gold medals; TENTH (tie) in total medals)

If you go further down this list, it gets a bit weird for some of us to see.

In any case, it will be very interesting come Vancouver 2010, how this big medal tally will be seen. There are many potential changes to this list that I can see, if the various scenarios play out in certain NOC national teams' favors. I guess we will see about that in 3 years from now.

By the way, here's the link to the list:

Link: Infoplease.com's Overall Olympic Winter Games Medal Tally Standings Since 1924

Note: Even though the IOC is reported to give rankings by team like that, it is really not recognized as such and this information should be only be used for REFERENCE purposes!

By the way, on Wikipedia, they are quite a lot of Olympic medal tables, including tables by sports (I myself did Boxing and Sailing). It is quite interesting (altought not 100% trustworthy).

By the way, on Wikipedia, they are quite a lot of Olympic medal tables, including tables by sports (I myself did Boxing and Sailing). It is quite interesting (altought not 100% trustworthy).

yea you have got to watch wikipedia!

Archived