Stockholm Ends Bid To Host 2026 Olympic Winter Games

GBModerator

Just one week after the Swedish Olympic Committee (SOK) named a President to guide a potential Stockholm 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Games bid, the Capital now says it won’t move forward with plans to make a run for the Games. Karin Wanngard, the city official in charge of finances, blamed the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for […]

View the full article

Mayor Karin Wanngard, the city official in charge of finances, blamed the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for the city’s inability to continue with the bid.  She told the Associated PressWednesday that the reason for canceling plans is that the IOC will not be able to report how big the financial contribution to the host city will be.

Yup. They are not buying this lie anymore and the fact the IOC is either giving halfassed info or not info at all was already suspicious. 

Sadly, i'm kind of expecting Erzurum (or Almaty if they bid again) to win tbh. This is a golden era for authoritarian governments which only care about presuming to the world how cool they are while hidingthe truth of how repressed their people actually live by getting the games.

13 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Yup. They are not buying this lie anymore and the fact the IOC is either giving halfassed info or not info at all was already suspicious. 

Sadly, i'm kind of expecting Erzurum (or Almaty if they bid again) to win tbh. This is a golden era for authoritarian governments which only care about presuming to the world how cool they are while hidingthe truth of how repressed their people actually live by getting the games.

I'm not sure they even make much effort to hide the truth about repression etc. Some international investors find repression quite useful.

• Like 1

Well, that was fast lmfao!. Living in denial-holm indeed.

But beside the "financial conditions" to blame the IOC, this is another point I want to rescue:

Wanngard also claimed only her Social Democrat Party supported the bid.

As I mentioned previously, elections are upcoming and the Conservative Party and Sweden Democrats are upgrading their chances and the CP leader mentioned she could accept the far-right party as part of the coallition. I wonder if the IOC is acting as the scarpegoat for the lack of political will and incompetence to convince the project from the Social Democrat Party.

Government officials now say they may instead focus on a 2030 Games bid.

tumblr_oji598zNrc1r1ult6o1_500.gif

8 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Almaty? Sure. Erzurum? Never. The IOC will change the rules or cancel the winter games before they go to Erzurum. As for the golen age of authoritarian governments.. the fact that Beijing is getting their 2nd games says we already are in that era. 

Such poor form.  They really should have not announced anything until they had enough guarantees in place that they were proceeding.  This is an embarrassment for a country and NOC that really doesn't need to be dragged through the mud.

I've said it before and will say it again - the IOC should just man up and start guaranteeing a set figure to bidders - US$1 billion for the Winter Games, US$1.5-US$2 billion for the Summer Games.  And lets say US$25 million for the YOGs.  

The host cities should get 2/3rds of that upon commencement of the Games projects and the balance on a needs basis.  

Throw in a portion of the TOP revenue for Games time running expenses and you'll see a steady a stream of bid cities come out of the wood work and far greater respect for the Games and hosting them.  

The IOC and the OCOG can split the domestic revenue with a caveat being that the IOC is only investing in core Games related expenditure and will only see a dollar once the books are externally audited - this will force the cities and IOC to keep everything above board.  

The IOC should not be paying for updating an energy grid or building highways for example - if you can't host a Games within your basic infrastructure when you bid you probably shouldn't be bidding - simply core needs (stadia etc with a pre-agreed limit on spend and temporary vs permanent) could be co-funded.

This guarantees the IOC is engaged and can't just shrug and say "Russians" when a Games host city goes insane.

This also allows bid cities to come up with realistic venue and Games plans that they can go to a referendum with and win.

Of course this makes sense and thus will never happen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Roger87 said:

If any case, this will bring Bach going to Ottawa to convince Justin Trudeau for going 100% to Calgary 2026.

Bach & Co should be busy going to Berne first (& Vienna for that matter, as the second option), to try & schmooze Swiss (& Austrian) officials, as well as the populance, to 100% go after the 2026 Games. But since we know they won't, since they're still living in Lausaunne-land, they'll have to take what they can desperately get their gnomeish hands on in the end. 

8 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Such poor form.  They really should have not announced anything until they had enough guarantees in place that they were proceeding.  This is an embarrassment for a country and NOC that really doesn't need to be dragged through the mud.

I've said it before and will say it again - the IOC should just man up and start guaranteeing a set figure to bidders - US$1 billion for the Winter Games, US$1.5-US$2 billion for the Summer Games.  And lets say US$25 million for the YOGs.  

The host cities should get 2/3rds of that upon commencement of the Games projects and the balance on a needs basis.  

Throw in a portion of the TOP revenue for Games time running expenses and you'll see a steady a stream of bid cities come out of the wood work and far greater respect for the Games and hosting them.  

The IOC and the OCOG can split the domestic revenue with a caveat being that the IOC is only investing in core Games related expenditure and will only see a dollar once the books are externally audited - this will force the cities and IOC to keep everything above board.  

The IOC should not be paying for updating an energy grid or building highways for example - if you can't host a Games within your basic infrastructure when you bid you probably shouldn't be bidding - simply core needs (stadia etc with a pre-agreed limit on spend and temporary vs permanent) could be co-funded.

This guarantees the IOC is engaged and can't just shrug and say "Russians" when a Games host city goes insane.

This also allows bid cities to come up with realistic venue and Games plans that they can go to a referendum with and win.

Of course this makes sense and thus will never happen.

i like the idea but the figures seem a little high. the IOC is going to give host cities a billion dollars??? what???

maybe they could start smaller, or perhaps with some insanely practical ideas like demanding NO MORE LUGE TRACKS. i don't think this planet needs even a single extra luge/bobsled track. i'm sorry the athletes may be inconvenienced and divorced from the host city, but seeing as how alpine and city cluster distances are totally negotiable these days, eliminating silly winter olympics expenses should be a no-brainer.

so in short look for a new IOC decree demanding two new luge tracks for every bid any day now.

or as third-generation IOC voting member the count from sesame street would say: three, three new luge tracks. 

The-Count-Floor-1024x918.jpg

2 minutes ago, krow said:

i like the idea but the figures seem a little high. the IOC is going to give host cities a billion dollars??? what???

maybe they could start smaller, or perhaps with some insanely practical ideas like demanding NO MORE LUGE TRACKS. i don't think this planet needs even a single extra luge/bobsled track. i'm sorry the athletes may be inconvenienced and divorced from the host city, but seeing as how alpine and city cluster distances are totally negotiable these days, eliminating silly winter olympics expenses should be a no-brainer.

so in short look for a new IOC decree demanding two new luge tracks for every bid any day now.

or as third-generation IOC voting member the count from sesame street would say: three, three new luge tracks. 

The-Count-Floor-1024x918.jpg

In my opinion we should have Bandy, Snowshoeing, Orienteering and Ski Ballet to replace all sliding sports since they'll not drawing any new interest whatsoever in recent years..

11 minutes ago, krow said:

Three new *state of the art* luge tracks. The insistence from the federations that each venue be the greatest ever in that sport really drives up costs. 

3 hours ago, FYI said:

Bach & Co should be busy going to Berne first (& Vienna for that matter, as the second option), to try & schmooze Swiss (& Austrian) officials, as well as the populance, to 100% go after the 2026 Games. But since we know they won't, since they're still living in Lausaunne-land, they'll have to take what they can desperately get their gnomeish hands on in the end. 

Bach & Co might also be busy these days calling up potential replacements if the orange one and the grandson really start pressing the wrong buttons.