Canadian Ice Dancer Caught In Immigration Red Tape

Tanith Belbin is caught in a snafu that may make it impossible for her and her partner Ben Agosto to represent the U.S. in Torino  :glare:

Canadian Needs U.S. Citizenship by November To Compete for U.S.

It just amazes me that all these illegal immigrants can get into the country and there are people here who essentially want to give them all kinds of rights.  But this girl goes about it the legal way and she gets caught.

:grinning:  Not the first time this has happened though.  

It also happened to Gorsha Sur and Peter Tscherneshev(sp?), male ice dance emigres from Russia to the US.  But I think they got their citizenships in time.  Tanith will get hers - if not for 2006; then they are also realistically looking at Vancouver.  And she's also a VERY beautiful gal as well.  

BTW, kids, how do you like my new closing sig?   :laugh:

Oh, boy.  :rolleyes:

What a way to play politics on her now, and right at the time when the Winter Olympics is almost upon us. She doesn't need this kind of distraction haunting her now!  :help:

I thought Belbin and Agosto skipped the process to qualify for Torino because of her citizenship issue? I remember hearing them say that at the last US Nationals, as well as saying they're just looking forward to the Worlds.

I think it's pretty silly for them to suddenly change their minds and not plan ahead.

i remember this at the worlds, the Canadian and American commentators both said that they won't be in Torino and both said it would be a shame, since they were/hopefully are in the haunt to finally crack European dominance in ice dance, something Bourne and Kratz couldn't do, at least at the Olympics.

i hope a miracle happens and they can compeat, cause i would love to see the Americans take away a medal from the Russians or French

i hope a miracle happens and they can compeat, cause i would love to see the Americans take away a medal from the Russians or French

Well, the US does have the past 3 of 4 ladies titles... It doesn't really matter who wins to me as long as the competition is good.

• 2 months later...
Caught by red tape?? Not anymore. Belbin is going to be an American citizen today, paving the way for her and her partner to compete in Torino 2006 for the USA:

Figure Skater Belbin To Become U.S. Citizen

Thanks, G.  I knew it would happen in time.  Apparently her and the US FIgure Skating's lawyers knew how to do this.  I do hope though that Ben gets over his groin injury -- same thing that doomed Randy Gardner and Tai Babilonia in their quest to unseat the Russkies at Lake Placid -- in time.  

So, it's funny that 2006 US Ice Dancing team might include 3 couples half of whom are new U.S.citizens.  But that's the story of the US - new blood always.  If I were Navka and Tamarov, I would be a little jumpy now that Tanith and Ben will be competing.

Caught by red tape?? Not anymore. Belbin is going to be an American citizen today, paving the way for her and her partner to compete in Torino 2006 for the USA:

Figure Skater Belbin To Become U.S. Citizen

Thanks, G.  I knew it would happen in time.  Apparently her and the US FIgure Skating's lawyers knew how to do this.  I do hope though that Ben gets over his groin injury -- same thing that doomed Randy Gardner and Tai Babilonia in their quest to unseat the Russkies at Lake Placid -- in time.  

So, it's funny that 2006 US Ice Dancing team might include 3 couples half of whom are new U.S.citizens.  But that's the story of the US - new blood always.  If I were Navka and Tamarov, I would be a little jumpy now that Tanith and Ben will be competing.

You're welcome, baron. However, I didn't know that he has a groin injury. I hope that he will be all right in time for the both of them to compete in the US Nationals. By the way, how many US ice dance teams can go to Torino?

We are entitled to 3 dance teams because Ben & Tanith won silver at last year's worlds.  B&T had to pull out of this year's Grand Prix finals because of Ben's injury.  Hopefully, this gift will accelerate his healing.

Also, this is a good sign that the Bush White House is still behind any Olympic efforts, I mean, fast-tracking Tanith's papers like that... on a Saturday no less, it just doesn't happen to anyone.  So the retard in DAF (Drugs, Alcohol & Firearms) who yapped about banning Cuba from the Baseball Classic in the summer, will I think be told to shut up soon.  All Ueberroth has to do is to get to Romney and Giuliani to approach the White House and the Congressional leaders, and that stupid Cuban ban will be killed.

Baron, that is excellent. That is the maximum amount of them that is allowed by the IOC and the ISU. Good luck to all of them on the January 7th. to 15th. event at St. Louis.

Why can't Ben Agosto take the Canadian citizenship instead? It might be faster...

Their absence in Torino would really make the ice dancing competition boring and distorted, so I'd like them to take part even though I root for Marie-France and Patrice!!

Why can't Ben Agosto take the Canadian citizenship instead? It might be faster...

Their absence in Torino would really make the ice dancing competition boring and distorted, so I'd like them to take part even though I root for Marie-France and Patrice!!

well,...obviously between the 2 of them and their whole team, they felt they would have better chances representing the U.S.  Anyway, it's a done deal now, and the point is moot.

This is great news and highly unusual for the White House to get involved in pushing for a faster track on immigration.  

It probably would have been faster for Ben to get Canadian citizenship but I think they wisely played their cards the right way.  The U.S. has always sucked at Ice Dancing at the Olympics.  If they medal there will be a lot of money being offered to them

This is great news and highly unusual for the White House to get involved in pushing for a faster track on immigration.  

It probably would have been faster for Ben to get Canadian citizenship but I think they wisely played their cards the right way.  The U.S. has always sucked at Ice Dancing at the Olympics.  If they medal there will be a lot of money being offered to them

Has the USA medalled in the ice dance event at the Winter Olympics before? I know about the rest of the figure skating events for the nation, but I don't recall with ice dance.

Recalling the case of the Duchenays as well, it seems the Canadian Figure SKating federation just cannot match the incentives and terms offered by their US or French counterparts -- which is why skaters like the Duchenays and Tanith jump ship.  I think it's as simple as that.

The Duchenays... how can I forget about their exploits then. Even though this Quebec duel skated for France, they really helped the French figure skating program in this aspect, cumulating in the silver medal for the host nation at Albertville 1992.

Has the USA medalled in the ice dance event at the Winter Olympics before? I know about the rest of the figure skating events for the nation, but I don't recall with ice dance.

Yes, in Ice Dancing's debut at the '76 Winter Games (which should've been in Denver), US ice dancers James Millns and Colleen O'Connor won the bronze.  And except for Torvill & Dean in 1984, the Russkies have had a stranglehold on the gold.  It's time that string be broken again!!

Well, the USA should do well in all the figure skating events, especially ice dance in Torino 2006. Who knows, a drought could end here, with the Americans sending 3 ice dance squads.

Well, the USA should do well in all the figure skating events, especially ice dance in Torino 2006. Who knows, a drought could end here, with the Americans sending 3 ice dance squads.

It would be nice.  I think B&T stand a very good chance.  Hopefully they will be our Sale/Pelletier of '06 and break our losing record against the Russians!

We always seem to medal in the singles competition but don't do that well in the pairs/dancing.  The Carruthers in '84 and Jill Watson/Peter Oppegard in '88 is the last time I think we medaled in pairs and of course, Millns/O'Connor in '76 for dancing.

The Russians are now being such a threat so to speak here. It wasn't until the Lillehammer 1994 Winter Olympics that the Russian men "caught up" with the rest of the Russian figure skating elite. However, I think the Russian women is starting to have problems in a way. It doesn't mean that they won't be tough against the likes of the Americans and others.

Archived