Sign in to follow this  
thatsnotmypuppy

Cosport Discounting Packages...

So - I got an email offering an 8% (lol) discount on all ticket and accommodation packages.  

I'm guessing based on the fact it appears ticket inventory has not dropped at all (at least on the Australian site) that we may see some ticket discounts soon?  I've noticed a new option (Ticket Packages) in the menu - so that may be their next attempt to sell some seats...  Bundle the "lesser" events with the "blue ribbon" events...

the price they charge for accommodation you would think they could do better than 8%

Do you think transport concerns or just lack of interest is keeping people away?

Transport concerns, housing concerns, political concerns - they all enter into the lack of interest.

We had thought about going and, in fact, had reserved a hotel in Seoul (fully refundable) but when we looked at the train situation we found that the trains will be very limited and if you went to a "late" event, there was a very real possibility that you could not get a train back to Seoul. Add to that the tensions with North Korea, you have a situation that we considered unacceptable considering the cost.  On that basis, we canceled the hotel and did not pick up any of the tickets that we were offered.

I just took a look at the US site for the first time in a few weeks. A couple events have dropped of the board, but for the most part everything is still there. 

I wouldn't count on any discounts for individual tickets. Best I hope for is they throw in some free stuff if you buy. 

There's a bit of a self-sustaining problem for Cosport. Normally, people snap up tickets because they fear getting shut out. But it seems pretty clear that won't happen with PyeongChang. I normally would have bought my tickets by now, but I'm content to wait since I"m not too worried. 

I can totally see CoSport bundling tickets like SLC did with their "experience packs".

For example - buy an Ice Hockey ticket and get a free ticket to the cross country earlier the same day etc.

I'm still on the fence about going - the ticket prices are ridiculously high, accommodation is still pretty much a mystery (Seoul really isn't feasible) and there just seems no excitement about the event.  Even my Korean friends both here and in Korea just think it will be a dull event. However after my weather related cancelled trip to Sapporo for the Asian Winter Games I still have that snow and ice itch to scratch...

If a lower price level Opening Ceremony pops up maybe... I'd love to see the ski jumping but sessions starting at 21.30 is just fucking stupid unless you are staying at Alpensia itself.

Also, have you noticed that the CoSport hotel packages now include transportation to and from the sporting and non-sporting venues?  I believe in the past that this was not included.

Just goes to show how much trouble the 2018 Olympics are in.

They offered that in Vancouver with the premium packages that included a Whistler event - but apart from that yeah - it's new.

I'm just baffled they are running events so late at night with no real transport plan to get people in and out (that we know about now).  It's really got me stumped.  

I read an article the other day they're even advising arriving to the Olympic Plaza the day of the opening ceremony before 2 or 3:00 PM (ceremony starts at 7:00 PM) due to fear of both heavy traffic/lack of transport and weather. This kind of speaks for itself. 

I am just baffled at the fact that transport is going to be such an issue and yet the sessions for some sports are starting quite early or late.  Biathlon at 8:15pm, Ski Jumping at 9:30pm, Snowboarding at 10:00am...  this makes commuting from Seoul pretty much impossible and based on the scant info available unless you are staying within walking distance of some venues in Alpensia you won't be getting back to even Gangneung later at night...

In the first 5 days of the Games the only realistic sport options (based on current Aussie Cosport availability) are a session of speed skating, one session of cross country and one of nordic combined.  Anything starting before noon and after 7:00pm will not be an option from Seoul.

From what has been reported, the capacity of the train system to / from Seoul is about 15,000 people PER DAY (excluding Olympic Officials).  The Opening Ceremony ends, per the schedule, at about 10:30 PM and the venue has a capacity of 50,000 people. Many other venues have a capacity of over 10,000 people.  I think that should raise major red flags for anyone that is planning on staying in Seoul and utilizing the train system to get to the venues.  Even if you were willing to put up with the hours on the train each way (and the cost), you have no guarantee that there will be space available after any of the events.

Which leads us to the crux of the problem - these Games seem designed strictly for those who stay in the immediate area only.  That by itself shouldn't be too big of a problem however there just is not the capacity accommodation wise to have more than a few thousand take advantage of this.  Add in a rather disinterested local population and we may be seeing a Games with attendence looking like Athens - or seniors/school kids bussed in to fill seats.

I have done some research and it seems you can get a bus to Gangneung from Central Seoul - takes 3 hours each way and is bookable in advance.  That may be an option for an early afternoon session - but not something you can do every day.

I think you and I are on the same page.  Finding any accommodations in the area of the venues that have close transportation will probably be a very big problem.  3 hours plus on a bus each way to Seoul is not something that I would look forward to.