Munich - The Movie

Faster

Steven Speilberg's latest movie is about the 1972 Munich Olympics hostage/killings and is scheduled to be released on December 23.

It looks pretty good and I will see this.  They are going to use Jim McKay's actual coverage of the hostage situation which, if nobody has ever seen it, is riveting.  He won an Emmy award for his coverage.

That aside - I don't know - isn't it a little inappropriate to open this movie so close to the Turin Olympics?

mptv1.gif

Steven Speilberg's latest movie is about the 1972 Munich Olympics hostage/killings and is scheduled to be released on December 23.

It looks pretty good and I will see this.  They are going to use Jim McKay's actual coverage of the hostage situation which, if nobody has ever seen it, is riveting.  He won an Emmy award for his coverage.

That aside - I don't know - isn't it a little inappropriate to open this movie so close to the Turin Olympics?

mptv1.gif

well its not actually about the hostage taking, its about the mossad's attempt to capture and kill, or assissinate the leaders and prepitrators of the massacre Black Semptember

Yep - the actual Munich Games section is rumoured to be about 5 or so minutes of on screen time - the rest is a cat and mouse thriller about hunting those responsible.

Thanks for the info.  They way they are advertising it I thought it was totally about the Olympic massacre

Ryan, there already was a TV-movie which featured most of the drama that took place in the Village, and the airport.  It starred Franco Nero as the chief terrorist, and Shirley Knight as an interpreter gp-between.  Go to IMDB.com and find more info.  I forget the title --- something like "__ Days in Munich."
it is sad that only about 5 to 10 is on the Olympics, so few movies have any Olympic reference

We had a thread a few months back about the Olympics in Movies, where someone dug up a list of nearly every movie that had featured the games. I might try to fish it out and resurrect it.

I saw the trailer to Munich. It stars Eric Bana, Geoffrey Rush, and Mathieu Kassovitz (best known as a director in French movies like La Haine--my fave, The Crimson Rivers, Cafe Au Lait, and A Self-Made Hero, has acted in several movies too). I too was a bit fooled that it would've gotten into the Munich Olympics, but I knew it was going to centered more on the aftermath of getting the Black September terrorists. After being a comic, he'll still be Dr. Bruce Banner to me. I WANT A HULK 2 MOVIE!!! :D

I do remember the 48 Hours in Munich movie.

The IOC has been very reluctant in dealing with the Munich tragedy by itself. It hasn't even issued a public regret over what happened. When the Sydney Olympics was approaching the IOC was reluctant in setting up a memorial on the site of monument denoting the past Olympics dedicating the 11 slain Israeli athletes. It took an act of several local Jewish businessmen like Frank Lowry, a billionaire who has helped resurrect the Australian soccer scene, to put one up. This is why there has been no Official Film involving Munich in its back catalog release: any mention of Munich 1972 in general will inevitably have to deal with the tragedy of those Israeli athletes killed somewhere.

May I ask a question about Munich massacre in this thread?

Does anyone know when it was decided to stop the Olympic competitions on September 5, and when they were resumed on Sep 6 after the tragic end of the kidnapping and rescue attempt?

When was the memorial ceremony held? Is it true that there was a competition session, particularly a football match, immediately after the ceremony?

Can anyone give me some names of athletes who left Munich following the massacre?

Does anyone know when it was decided to stop the Olympic competitions on September 5, and when they were resumed on Sep 6 after the tragic end of the kidnapping and rescue attempt?

When was the memorial ceremony held? Is it true that there was a competition session, particularly a football match, immediately after the ceremony?

Can anyone give me some names of athletes who left Munich following the massacre?

Look it up on the web.

Look it up on the web.

I wish I knew where to find these details... I read detailed reports on the massacre itself, but didn't find these details yet...

I thought maybe someone here is old enough to remember...

Just because I can't be bothered not answering I will answer.

The Games were put on hold at the conclusion of the afternoon sessions.  Most events were scheduled to finish at 3pm or thereabouts - however a number of events - volleyball, equestrian, yachting and wrestling went on to about 4:30-5:00.  In fact one of the Israeli hostages was 'disqualified' for not turning up to his wrestling bout - however this disqualification has now been deleted from the original Games records - it does raise a few media notices at the time...

The events recommenced at midday the next day after the completion of the memorial service in the main stadium.  Yachting recommenced at 9am up in Kiel after a small service for the slain.

Thanks for your answer...

So the games continued for 10-12 hours after the terrorists broke into the village and killed 2 Israelis... do you know how long it took the IOC to make that decision?

The Israeli who was "disqualified" is Mark Slavin, an 18-years old wrestler who was the youngest of the victims. He was disqualified for not showing in time for the weigh-in. I read a story that just before the Olympics the Israeli Olympic commitee arranged a trial bout between Slavin, who has just arrived from Soviet Union, and a French wrestler. After Slavin won the bout it was decided to send him to Munich.

When Slavin failed to show-up for the weigh-in, that French wrestler went to the village to look for him, and was told about the terrorist attack.

It seems it took some hours before most athletes became aware of it.

Slavin was the only Israeli athlete who hasn't started his competition yet on the day of the attack.

One female athlete, whose coach was among the victims, has withdrawn from the semifinals of 100m hurdles (4 years later in Montreal she would become the first Israeli in an Olympic final at this event), and 2 sailors withdrew from the competition with 2 races left.

now back to the movie

Munish is getting sh!t on by most critics and Jews, calling it pretentions and lacking in substance. The only good reviews its getting is on the acting of Eric Bana. Since it was shout out of the Golden Globes its Oscar future is in doubt

• 3 weeks later...
it is sad that only about 5 to 10 is on the Olympics, so few movies have any Olympic reference

I saw here in Canada (on CBC news) yesterday evening a good documentary (2 hours !) about all the steps of the terrorist attack in the village.

This documentary was realised in 1999. They use different TV sources from 1972, but also interviewed differents actors : Wife and daughter from one of the hostage, Olympic Village Mayor, Head of the Mossad at this time, German Army's General, ... and the only terrorist still alive !

Very very interesting.... Unfortunately, i missed the first 15 minutes.....

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I saw a documentary on the dutch TV about the movie and they interviewed the brain behind the whole massacre......The men (Abu Daoud) was still alive and lived in Syria and was still a very strong supporter of everything that happened in 1972....

He stated that all Israeli athletics were soldiers at the time and the fact that they wore "sports clothing" still made them soldiers and they "deserved" to die....He refused to make anything like appologies or didn't show any regrets.

In the same documentary the daughter of Andre Spitzer (one of the Israeli athletics) made also some comments about the killers of her father, she never knew.

On this site you can read everything about this documentary or watch the programme again.

Documentary about Munich 1972

Munich is released in the UK on Friday. Must get round to seeing it.

yea the move have just been realeased in new zealand, i will hae to find time to see it as well

Archived