Sign in to follow this  
baron-pierreIV

Ceremonies on UTube, Part 3

The IOC has been busy with blocking videos on youtube. The davidatkinsfan channel had almost the entire Sydney opening ceremony untouched for a long time, but today I noticed the opening/welcome, Awakening, Nature, and Eternity segment have been blocked.

There are other channels with bits and pieced of those segments still around, but not the entire segments and not in the same quality as the davidatkinsfan channel sadly.

Here you have the CBS coverage of the Albertville 1992 opening ceremony. It's in several parts, and begins way before the actual opening ceremony (which was kind of interesting)

Just posted on youtube: The quality is horrible but here are several clips from the Argentine TV broadcast of the Mar del Plata 1995 Pan American Games opening and closing ceremonies - the first three are from the opening and the last two are from the closing. Enjoy!

Here is a great find! An excellent quality 43 minute audio recording of the Helsinki 1952 Opening Ceremony as broadcast on YLE Sweden's national radio broadcaster.  This recording picks up where the Norwegian radio broadcast I posted a link to earlier leaves off and includes the rest of the ceremony. Click the link below and then click on the large photo of Helsinki's Olympic Stadium to play the recording (It's a flash audio file.) Enjoy!

https://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2008/06/05/rauhanenkeli-ja-nurmi-olivat-helsingin-olympia-avajaisten-vetonauloja

Here is a list with approximate times of what you'll hear:

4:49 - Opening Address by Erik von Franckell, Chairman of the Helsinki Organizing Committee (in Finnish, Swedish, English, and French)

11:05 - Opening Declaration by Juho Paasikivi, President of Finland (in Finnish and English)

12:10 - Olympic Fanfare (written especially for the Helsinki Games) as Olympic Flag is raised followed by a 21 gun salute

18:48 - Roar of Crowd as Paavo Nurmi enters with the Olympic Torch

19:37 - Roar of Crowd as Nurmi lights Olympic Flame on infield

20:58 - Olympic Hymn (written especially for the Helsinki Games) is performed by Band and Choir as Olympic Torch is carried to top of the stadium tower

28:15 - Roar of Crowd as Olympic Flame on tower is lit by Hannes Kohlamainen

28:47 - Ceremony interrupted by German "Peace Angel" Barbara Rotbraut-Pleyer who runs to podium and shouts "Ladies and Gentlemen" before being dragged away from the microphones

32:34 - Olympic prayer by Archbishop of Helsinki

34:33 - Musical performance by Choir

37:56 - Olympic Oath recited by Dr. Heikki Savolainen

38:52 - National Anthem of Finland "Maame" (Our Land)

40:43 - Exit of the Athletes

3 minutes ago, panamfan said:

Here is a great find! An excellent quality 43 minute audio recording of the Helsinki 1952 Opening Ceremony as broadcast on YLE Sweden's national radio broadcaster.  

Oops! I meant YLE Finland's national radio broadcaster.

Here is the a link to a 23 minute audio file of the Helsinki 1952 Closing Ceremony as broadcast by YLE Finland's national radio broadcaster.  Click on the photo of Helsinki's Olympic Stadium to start the recording.  It is a flash audio recording. Enjoy!

https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2008/07/03/os-i-helsingfors-avslutas

Here is a list with approximate times of what you will hear:

1:25 National Anthems of Greece, Finland, and Australia as the flags are raised.

5:34 (This is where IOC Pres. Edstrom delivered his closing address, but it has been deleted from the recording)

5:40 Olympic Fanfare played as Olympic Flame is extinguished.

9:15 Five Gun Salute

10:14 Olympic Hymn performed by Band and Chorus as Olympic Flag is lowered.

17:28 Exit of Olympic Flag followed by National flagbearers as "Song of the Athenians" composed by Jean Sibelius is played.

22:23 Finnish National Anthem "Maame" (Our Land) is performed to end the ceremony.

Here is an interesting new posting on youtube - 2 videos of the dutch ice hockey team at the Lake Placid 1980 Winter Olympics.  What is neat is that they contain a surprising amount of home movie footage (with the original sounds of the ceremony) shot by an athlete during the opening ceremony from the stadiums infield - certainly a unique view of the proceedings.  The second video contains footage of Eric Heiden swearing the Olympic Oath at the opening ceremony (about two-thirds of the way through). Enjoy!

• Like 1

Pyeongchang 2018 Opening Ceremony in HD and in Korean Commentary.

Too bad the SBS live presentation of the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony placed here is now taken off; I didn't get a chance to watch it all the way. Just made it right up to those 5 rural Gangwon kids encountering the Korean white tiger and just starting the Parade of Nations up to Germany in the Korean language and alphabet before wanting to watch it another time. Long commercial break leading up to it with the likes of KT, Visa, Coca-Cola, Kit-Kat, and Samsung, but that ad placement is certainly one of the differences between foreign TV networks/channels and their US TV counterparts. What was going on before the coverage started? The preshow? Used some of the same commercials.

Now, amazing 30 years it's been between Seoul and Pyeongchang. Lot has changed during this period. Back then South Korea's economy was growing ever so rapidly being dubbed as a rising Asian tiger. Now South Korea is fully developed with a highly educated population. Got the rival South Korean broadcaster MBC Sports' presentation of the 1988 Seoul Opening Ceremony from MBC to counter KBS'. The actual ceremony itself doesn't start here until 38:39 into this video due to the extensive commercial breaks, where the only commercial spots I recognize from the KBS version are the Kodak, IBM, and Schick ones. The use of 1980s hit music is on full display here with a kids' clothing label uses Expose instrumental dance music for its commercial and Crockett's Theme, one of my favorite instrumentals, for Schick. Some are cheesy and don't hold up nowdays though (but many overall are fun and nice to see) with improvements to them in production values since with the 2018 counterparts during this year's Winter Olympics coverage from the three networks. Brief reports are here starting with JIP one on global dances from Kenya and Rio Carnival with stories on the atmosphere and mood in Seoul with the Opening Ceremony minutes away what MBC apparently planned to cover here (basketball, tennis, taekwondo, boxing, table tennis, volleyball, soccer, and judo). Computer animation was innovative back then and not much different from what was offered from the likes of NBC like in the MBC Sports 1988 Olympic intro, although it doesn't use the standard broadcast intro using John Williams score. What's interesting about the Parade of Nations lies in using the English graphics first from official broadcast unlike KBS, and then going to the Korean with showing in plenty of cases the map of the nation the athletes come from are shown, so that South Koreans can discover them on the map and the inset photos of some top Olympic stars and medal contenders of select nations like Carl Lewis, Ben Johnson, and Alex Baumann. Not to mention seeing the on-screen Korean translation of the Hand In Hand lyrics. Interesting that South Yemen, aka the Yemen Arab Democratic Republic, competed only once here as it boycotted Los Angeles. Also interesting now that Albania, Cuba, Ethiopia, Seychelles, and Nicaragua all were no shows here with not unexpectedly North Korea since everybody's back in--even South Africa from 1960--since for the Summer Games. Don't know the hosts and reporters names. If anyone knows Korean here, please help us:

1994 World Cup Opening Ceremony as seen from russian TV

XI South American Games Cochabamba 2018 

Closing 

I just found this on youtube: The opening minute of CBS coverage of the Opening Ceremony of the 1983 Pan American Games! It includes the cold open with Brent Musburger and the complete opening title graphics/theme music sequence.  This theme - which was used again by CBS in 1987 - was written by John Tesh, a sportscaster for CBS at the 1983 games, who won a sports emmy award for it. Enjoy! (P.S. I wonder if the poster has more CBS footage from the games? One can only hope!) On a related note, I recently read "The Game Behind the Game" the memoirs of Terry O'Neil who was executive producer of CBS Sports from 1982-1986.  He included a lengthy section on CBS coverage of the 1983 Pan Am Games that was very interesting to read, indeed.

A brief return to comment on some odd YouTube OC viewing statistics.

During April and May this year, viewing for the official Rio OC video on YouTube was bumbling along at about 14,100 per week, but in the week ending 2 June that rose to 18,400, then the next week to 19,600, and in the week to yesterday, 55,100. I can't think what could possibly have caused that ...

The London OC video shows a rather different pattern. The average for April and the first couple of weeks in May was around 16,600, rising to 18,600 in the week ending 19 May, and to 24,500 the week after, before sliding back to 19,800 in the week ending 2 June, and 19,500 the next week. There was a significant boost in the week to yesterday, but nowhere near as much as the Brazilian one, just to 26,700.

PS: Yes, there was a surge in viewing of the short Queen/OO7 video starting late last year, with various peaks up to 19 May (around 60,000 views on that day alone) before falling back quite swiftly to more normal levels.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to present "Spirit of the Games" - the official highlight video of CBC's coverage of the 1999 Pan American Games in Winnpeg.  Originally made available on VHS in 1999 (I have an original copy of the VHS tape) - Spirit of the Games has finally turned up on youtube. This 60 minute video features a montage of highlights of the opening ceremony, day by day highlights of the competitions with an emphasis on Canadian athletes), and another montage of highlights of the closing ceremony. It is MUST SEE viewing for any fan of the Pan American Games. Enjoy!

XVIII Mediterranean Games Tarragona 2018

Opening 

Pretty poor opening ceremony if you ask me, then again considering this event was delayed one year later due to the crisis, i'm not surprised. I hope Oran makes it classy again.

Also the ceremony was somewhat politicized and it was obvious half of the stadium was filled with pro-monarchy supporters. There were both booing and cheers for the king.

A couple of Paralympic Ceremonies just turned up on youtube:

Atlanta 1996 Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony

Athens 2004 Paralympic Closing Ceremony

Unfortunately, the same person uploaded the Atlanta 1996 Paralympic closing ceremony, but it has already been blocked by the IOC, which makes no sense as the IOC has no jurisdiction over the Paralympic Games.

Someone posted the Euro 1996 opening ceremony in the old Wembley.  

XXIII Central American and Caribbean Games Barranquilla 2018

Opening