Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
baron-pierreIV

Ceremonies on UTube, Part 3

Recommended Posts

On 2017-5-19 at 2:29 AM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

No sir. Québec is a proud and glorious nation.

Pedro Sanchez would be proud for that definition of nation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was doing some unrelated searching and I accidentally found a treasure trove.  The National Library of Norway (Nasjonal Biblioteket) has posted hundreds of historical recordings of Norwegian Broadcasting Company (NRK) radio broadcasts as free to listen streaming audio files on its website.  Among these recordings are NRK's broadcasts of several complete Olympic Opening and Closing Ceremonies from the 1930s to 1970s.  Here are links to the ones available. Enjoy!

Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1936 Complete Closing Ceremony (25:55) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/fc9c3319d07db60f84fbc21145c0e181?index=1

London 1948 Complete Closing Ceremony (15:31) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/eac97b0c0932516c15e77a1cccccfbe6?index=8

Oslo 1952 Complete Opening Ceremony (1:07:20) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/afb7e925eec5007bd89c1e99f1ecad89?index=25

Oslo 1952 Complete Closing Ceremony in two parts: (58:54 total)

Part 1 (36:47) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/ecb1787941e7c6d3ec211067dd560cc5?index=19

Part 2 (22:07) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/6d5268d1de460756e5d83b42bb889221?index=21

Helsinki 1952 Opening Ceremony (to end of Parade of Nations only) (1:04:42) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/11e399ccd3a81a826d462fa67f44ad10?index=4

Melbourne 1956 Closing Ceremony (8:20) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/bccd68c36a922110038e5672cccbda27?index=1

Rome 1960 Complete Opening Ceremony (1:06:56) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/f5ad23252f4fc43fd2497351e53cdfa3?index=4

Rome 1960 Complete Closing Ceremony (28:52) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/134285cd770fe90f90127010c5834340?index=3

Innsbruck 1964 Closing Ceremony (14:57) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/84a26a45c9d3849c3f260efc10ced137?index=3

Innsbruck 1976 Opening Ceremony (clip) (5:30) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/a7d811c214d5251ee8bd71adae9775cc?index=4

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't take long for America Movil to rear its ugly head again in regards to a Toronto 2015 OC video.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, panamfan said:

I was doing some unrelated searching and I accidentally found a treasure trove.  The National Library of Norway (Nasjonal Biblioteket) has posted hundreds of historical recordings of Norwegian Broadcasting Company (NRK) radio broadcasts as free to listen streaming audio files on its website.  Among these recordings are NRK's broadcasts of several complete Olympic Opening and Closing Ceremonies from the 1930s to 1970s.  Here are links to the ones available. Enjoy!

Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1936 Complete Closing Ceremony (25:55) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/fc9c3319d07db60f84fbc21145c0e181?index=1

London 1948 Complete Closing Ceremony (15:31) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/eac97b0c0932516c15e77a1cccccfbe6?index=8

Oslo 1952 Complete Opening Ceremony (1:07:20) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/afb7e925eec5007bd89c1e99f1ecad89?index=25

Oslo 1952 Complete Closing Ceremony in two parts: (58:54 total)

Part 1 (36:47) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/ecb1787941e7c6d3ec211067dd560cc5?index=19

Part 2 (22:07) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/6d5268d1de460756e5d83b42bb889221?index=21

Helsinki 1952 Opening Ceremony (to end of Parade of Nations only) (1:04:42) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/11e399ccd3a81a826d462fa67f44ad10?index=4

Melbourne 1956 Closing Ceremony (8:20) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/bccd68c36a922110038e5672cccbda27?index=1

Rome 1960 Complete Opening Ceremony (1:06:56) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/f5ad23252f4fc43fd2497351e53cdfa3?index=4

Rome 1960 Complete Closing Ceremony (28:52) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/134285cd770fe90f90127010c5834340?index=3

Innsbruck 1964 Closing Ceremony (14:57) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/84a26a45c9d3849c3f260efc10ced137?index=3

Innsbruck 1976 Opening Ceremony (clip) (5:30) http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/a7d811c214d5251ee8bd71adae9775cc?index=4

 

Too bad I can't see these videos on my computer :(:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the last couple of days, the Olympic Channel has added past ceremonies

Salt Lake 2002

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/salt-lake-2002-closing-ceremony/

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/salt-lake-2002-opening-ceremony/

Athens 2004

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/athens-2004-opening-ceremony/

I hoping they add Atlanta 1996 and Sydney 2000 but, this was all I could find

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calgary, Seoul, Salt Lake, Athens, Vancouver, London, and Sochi OCs have been added to the Olympic Channel. Sochi's seems to be missing the parade of nations, which seems odd since the version on the Olympic Youtube channel has it included. 

I must say it does take some time adjusting to the ceremonies from the SD era being shrunk into a box with the blurry edges around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's why I would grant the Olympic Channel people some time in converting from SD onto HD with past ceremonies. Much less 8KTV UHD. One thing I spot with these online at the Olympic Channel is that the showing goes right from the countdown onward instead of giving aerial shots of the Olympic Stadium and surrounding areas and the moments spectators are awaiting anticipation (like seeing themselves on the scoreboard and waving) of the start unlike we would see from the global TV broadcasters. Being an international channel and not wishing to show any bias to broadcasters regardless of language is to keep them at venue audio only (aka the world feed), though broadcast rights holders like, say, SuperSport, are free of course to inject theirs into it during broadcast. Also, and we surely noticed this already through YouTube, I think it wasn't until 1988 that we're now hearing the PA announcer saying the required IOC two official languages (and the host nations' ones that aren't them included like Spanish and Catalan with Barcelona). Around that time period if maybe a little later with both male and female PA announcers speaking in different languages to represent gender equality.

It will take a while for Moscow's and Lake Placid's to get included. I'm willing to wait... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They took their time, but let's be fair - well done IOC for finally creating a place for all of these. After all this time you've spent deleting the old vids, it's about time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed because we at least have another outlet to turn to along with YouTube for ceremony watching. But at least they're doing something to compensate the deletions at last.

The Olympic Channel, by the way, recently put up the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony documentary called Viva. Wonder if this was on Globo TV/SporTV back in Brazil:

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/viva/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh Oh!  The ceremonies page on The Olympic Channel website has disappeared! Hope it's just temporary. I knew it was too good to be true, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, panamfan said:

Uh Oh!  The ceremonies page on The Olympic Channel website has disappeared! Hope it's just temporary. I knew it was too good to be true, though.

The ceremonies are still there you have to go on search on the website and type in "ceremonies"

'

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally had the time to watch a few this evening and it is so nice to not have the constant yapping by the commentators. I was able to Shazam a few of the pieces of music that I really enjoyed from Atlanta's parade of nations (I never knew there was a group named Tangerine Dream). Nice to have titles to go along with some of the tunes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes. I hope they're saving money for the 2018 opening, because this was honestly the same level of horridness than Brazil 2014. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Yikes. I hope they're saving money for the 2018 opening, because this was honestly the same level of horridness than Brazil 2014. 

WTF did I just watch???

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Saw the complete thing (this was just the last 5 minutes) and it was just slighty better than the dreadful 2014 op but still bad. Like i said before I hope they're saving the best for 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this some kind of stock style for FIFA/UEFA ceremonies now? Only  that did remind me of 2014 & euro 16 as well. Whatever, if even the Russians can't make a ceremony look good then there is a problem there :lol: Hopefully 2018 will be better, I'm sure it will be. Will that one be at night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, panamfan said:

Berlin 1936 Closing Ceremony - the real footage - not the fake stuff from Riefenstahl's film:

 

I wouldn't bet that this is entirely real, as it's very atmospheric- possibly a mix of "live" and rehearsal / post-staged footage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×