Ceremonies on UTube, Part 3

On 7/1/2022 at 5:45 AM, TorchbearerSydney said:

Which Olympic Flag was that ...the rings are around the wrong way?

But the Oly flag at Opening was hoisted the wrong way.  The mistake was seen briefly on camera -- but they cut away when the mistake was discovered.  The flag was lowered off-camera and then raised again the right way. I guess Sarajevo 84's flag handlers must've been dyslexic.  :lol:  Are we Jugos or are we Serbs??  Which is right side up? Are we Christians or are we muslims? 

And don't forget that the Lake Placid delegation almost did NOT hand over that Oslo flag to the Sarajevo COJO in the Opening because the Jugo COJO billeted the Lake Placid bank in private homes and did NOT inform the LP Director of Ceremonies.  I guess that discombobulated the Sarajevo flag handlers?? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 6:36 PM, yoshi said:

God damnit, they obviously monitor this thread! If you're going to force unofficial footage off YouTube the least you can do is make an official version available. Hell, even the IOC do that :angry:

And i'm still waiting for some gentle soul to post Victoria and Kuala Lumpur ceremonies. They're so extremely difficult to find.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 5:36 PM, yoshi said:

God damnit, they obviously monitor this thread! If you're going to force unofficial footage off YouTube the least you can do is make an official version available. Hell, even the IOC do that :angry:

I think the problem is that "official" versions are available- from the local rights-holding broadcasters

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 4:26 PM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

I think the problem is that "official" versions are available- from the local rights-holding broadcasters

On 8/3/2022 at 11:36 AM, yoshi said:

Yeah, that's what angers me about wanting to watch the recent Commonwealth Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies these days on YouTube. At least, I did see the Birmingham 2022 ones because NBC Sports holds the US broadcast rights to them and place them on YouTube. Gold Coast--especially with how its Closing Ceremony went down, we remember--left something to be desired and organizers likely embarassed and needs to have the GC 2018 OC up. When will the Commonwealth Games get its act together and show past ones if it got the rights. This may likely to be negotiated to acquire the rights with the broadcasters Won't have the massive worldwide clout the Olympics continue to have, but it does have a solid following. Still have the Melbourne 2006 Opening Ceremony and the Manchester 2002 DVDs I bought on eBay years ago.

And I'm saying this as a citizen living in an English-speaking nation that's NEVER a Commonwealth member!

3 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

Yeah, that's what angers me about wanting to watch the recent Commonwealth Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies these days on YouTube. At least, I did see the Birmingham 2022 ones because NBC Sports holds the US broadcast rights to them and place them on YouTube. Gold Coast--especially with how its Closing Ceremony went down, we remember--left something to be desired and organizers likely embarassed and needs to have the GC 2018 OC up. When will the Commonwealth Games get its act together and show past ones if it got the rights. This may likely to be negotiated to acquire the rights with the broadcasters Won't have the massive worldwide clout the Olympics continue to have, but it does have a solid following. Still have the Melbourne 2006 Opening Ceremony and the Manchester 2002 DVDs I bought on eBay years ago.

And I'm saying this as a citizen living in an English-speaking nation that's NEVER a Commonwealth member!

Tbf I can totally see why GC 2018 don't want the closing ceremony to ever see the light of day again :ph34r: Literally the only part of that I've seen available is the Birmingham handover - either in full or, more prominently, just the flashmob, almost as if they know that was the only good bit :lol: I'd like to see the opening again in full though, they've got Glasgow's so I don't see why not. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Full 1999 Rugby World Cup opening ceremony, starting at 24:30

Finally....

I remember watching this in 1999 - the world in union performance still gives me goosebumps.

I really enjoyed the music of this ceremony and the Africa to Wales handover segment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yet another lazy lightning of the cauldron, depending of fireworks and projections and without the flame actually touching the cauldron. Makes you wonder why they even waste their time doing a relay if they'll do half assed stuff like this in the end.