Ceremonies on UTube, Part 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Highlight Films of the 1987 (Zagreb) and 1989 (Duisburg) World University Games. Nice footage of the opening and closing ceremonies in each. Zagreb film is in Serbo-Croatian and the Duisburg film is in German. Duisburg film appears to also include some footage rehearsals for the opening ceremony. (Sorry if the Zagreb film is a repost, I don't remember if I posted it before. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Double WOW! The first two-thirds of the Cablevision live telecast of the Opening Ceremony of the 1984 Paralympics on Long Island, New York. The games were still known as the International Games for the Disabled at the time. The second video is more footage of the ceremony with President Reagan's opening address. Also, a highlight video of the 1984 Winter Paralympics in Innsbruck that has some footage of the opening ceremonies and includes highlights of the 1988 Summer Paralympics in Seoul. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is home movie footage shot in Chicago in 1959. This includes rare color footage of the IIIrd Pan American Games in Chicago. The Pan Am footage starts at 13:45 and runs through 22:53 and includes footage of the Opening Ceremonies (Parade of Nations, Team USA entry, athletes lined up on the infield, Eagle Scout Ronald Rodriguez lighting the flame, flagbearers gathered around the podium for the oath) track and field, swimming and diving, and the equestrian prix de nations. Enjoy!

Another great youtube find! The closing credits to Eurovision's coverage of the Buffalo 1993 World University Games, featuring video highlights of the games set to the complete version of the official song of the games "One World Together" as sung by Clint Holmes during the opening ceremony. I love this song and have been looking for a complete recording of it for a long time. It's a shame this song has been forgotten it was really great! Enjoy!

The lyrics to the song's chorus:

One world together
Not worlds apart
One world forever
Hand in hand - from the heart

One world together
The brightest star
One world whenever
We can shine like the light that we are

^^ Man, compared to Fukuoka 1995 and Sheffield 1991, you can tell America didn't care much for putting a big show for their Universiade ceremonies.

Speaking of Fukuoka, some excerpts were uploaded into the internet over the last couple of years. Ceremonies seemd to be interesting and with their moments, such as the map of the world being formed by fireworks and giant Zeppelin like ships floating into the stadium and also serving as placards for the parade of nations. Music was made by Mamoru Hosomo, a prominent member from Yellow Magic Orchestra (aka YMO, one of the greatest Electropop groups of all time)

Here there are scenes from minutes prior the start of the Opening Ceremony, both showing rehearsers and athletes as well for the countdown transitions as seen from inside Fukuoka Dome.

Some more scenes from the Opening starting at minute 1:00

Scenes from the Closing Ceremony

8 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

^^ Man, compared to Fukuoka 1995 and Sheffield 1991, you can tell America didn't care much for putting a big show for their Universiade ceremonies.

Actually, the problem was money. The Buffalo organizing committee never received the amount of sponsorship expected, and the New York State government basically gave them the middle finger when asked for help. The USOC was pre-occupied with it's Olympic Festival in San Antonio and private money failed to materialize due to the economic recession at the time. You know you're in trouble when your biggest sponsor is the local telephone company! It was so bad that the organizing committee had to buy national TV time as no network was willing to buy rights to the games. Even that was a mess as the original agreement to buy 10 hours on CBS over both weekends was cancelled as too expensive and they ended up purchasing 6 hours on ESPN over the last weekend instead. The ceremonies were produced by Dick Clark Productions with assistance from Barnett Lipton - the same Barnett Lipton who produced the Seattle 1990 Goodwill Games Welcoming Ceremony. Interestingly, Kenny Rogers performed for him at both ceremonies. Another embarassment was the lack of attendance at the opening ceremony of any important official. President Clinton stayed away, as did New York Governor Mario Cuomo. In the end Dr. Nebiolo, President of FISU, declared the games open as there was no one else to do so. The opening ceremony went through several changes during the planning process before they ever took place, in part due to the money woes. All in all, I think the organizing committee deserves credit, though, for managing to pull off the games, even as they literally went broke doing it. (And I mean literally: Some creditors never did get paid back, even after suing in court.)

I linked this video before, but in case you missed it here is a highlight video from Buffalo Channel 4 of their coverage of the 1993 World University Games. They aired a nightly 30 minute highlight package locally each night of the games. There is great footage of the Opening Ceremony on here from 1:14 - 14:43. I wish the whole ceremony would turn up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 2:06 PM, panamfan said:

Actually, the problem was money. The Buffalo organizing committee never received the amount of sponsorship expected, and the New York State government basically gave them the middle finger when asked for help. The USOC was pre-occupied with it's Olympic Festival in San Antonio and private money failed to materialize due to the economic recession at the time. You know you're in trouble when your biggest sponsor is the local telephone company! It was so bad that the organizing committee had to buy national TV time as no network was willing to buy rights to the games. Even that was a mess as the original agreement to buy 10 hours on CBS over both weekends was cancelled as too expensive and they ended up purchasing 6 hours on ESPN over the last weekend instead. The ceremonies were produced by Dick Clark Productions with assistance from Barnett Lipton - the same Barnett Lipton who produced the Seattle 1990 Goodwill Games Welcoming Ceremony. Interestingly, Kenny Rogers performed for him at both ceremonies. Another embarassment was the lack of attendance at the opening ceremony of any important official. President Clinton stayed away, as did New York Governor Mario Cuomo. In the end Dr. Nebiolo, President of FISU, declared the games open as there was no one else to do so. The opening ceremony went through several changes during the planning process before they ever took place, in part due to the money woes. All in all, I think the organizing committee deserves credit, though, for managing to pull off the games, even as they literally went broke doing it. (And I mean literally: Some creditors never did get paid back, even after suing in court.)

I linked this video before, but in case you missed it here is a highlight video from Buffalo Channel 4 of their coverage of the 1993 World University Games. They aired a nightly 30 minute highlight package locally each night of the games. There is great footage of the Opening Ceremony on here from 1:14 - 14:43. I wish the whole ceremony would turn up.

Huh.  Interesting backstory on Buffalo 1993.  How do you know all this?  

2 things:

1.  It's Barnett Lipman ... not Lipton.  He also worked on LA 1984.  

2.  I almost worked on Buffalo 1993' and for awhile, I had a cousin in Buffalo who was going to put me up.  But things fell through at the end.  

On 3/23/2021 at 10:46 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Huh.  Interesting backstory on Buffalo 1993.  How do you know all this?  

2 things:

1.  It's Barnett Lipman ... not Lipton.  He also worked on LA 1984.  

2.  I almost worked on Buffalo 1993' and for awhile, I had a cousin in Buffalo who was going to put me up.  But things fell through at the end.  

Actually, the main source for information on the Buffalo 1993 is the Buffalo News newspaper. Their online archive goes back to 1988 and is fully searchable. It contains a treasure trove of information on the 1993 games and some on the 1991 games as well. You need to subscribe to have full access, but you can read 3 articles for free each day if you don't. I did the latter.

https://buffalonews.com/search/?nsa=eedition&app=editorial&d1=&d2=&s=start_time&sd=asc&l=25&t=article%2Cvideo%2Cyoutube%2Ccollection&q=World+University+Games&d1=&d2=

I also posted a few articles from the Buffalo News covering the TV negotiations on another page on this board:

A google search will turn some other interesting articles as well. The head of the organizing committee worked so hard, he suffered a stroke during the games and ended up watching the closing ceremony from his hospital bed.

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

/\/\ Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

Excerpt of the parade of nations from the Kobe 1985 Universiade opening

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1942066475824594

Singing of the main theme (Beautiful Rival)

https://www.facebook.com/2040811142852645/videos/2042930339307392

Here is a little gift for all of you people who have been so nice to me here through the years. I have uploaded several videos to my google drive account, including the TNT broadcast of the 1991 Pan Am Games Opening Ceremony, and the ABC broadcast of the Lake Placid 1980 Closing Ceremony (the latter I have painstakingly assembled from videos uploaded to youtube over the years from 6 or 7 different people. It's still not quite complete, but it's the most complete version currently available. Here is the link. I hope this works. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13e1D7ZJ52QjdZgw2VsClDDOfrCsMFp-Z?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...

Grand PROCESSION in Cairo from the Old Museum to the new home for the Pharaonic mummies --- worthy of an Olympic Opening Ceremony!!  (And of course, to celebrate the clearing of the Ever Green blockage of the Suez Canal)!  

Previous Egyptian queen parade:
Kleopatra Königin Makedonia Christ - From Kingdom Republik Makedonia (video entersRome1963film) - YouTube  

And then, within the last ten hours . . .  

استعراض نقل الموميات الملكية في مصر موكب مهيب A procession transporting mummies in Egypt - YouTube

Can anybody find the Channel 3 outlet / coverage in English?  All I can find are the Egyptian-language ones!  

And very strangely, NOT A SINGLE MASK --  wait, towards the end, current pharaoh El Sissy wears a mask!! 

This looks like a completely packaged, edited version of the ceremony -- I guess Egypt's coming-out party of sorts since they will never host the Olympics. 

(1) LIVE: Royal mummies moved to Cairo museum in 'Golden Parade' - ORIGINAL - YouTube 

And then, I guess, hitting the movie screens of the world in a few months, the 2nd remake of DEATH ON THE NILE!  

Teaser Trailer (imdb.com) 

Edited by baron-pierreIV