Ceremonies on UTube, Part 3

Here are some rare audio recordings for you all that I have digitalized and uploaded for your listening pleasure:

The first two were originally released in 1956 on 7'" 33 1/3 rpm LP discs by Radiola Records in Australia - They are souvenir recordings of the highlights of the Melbourne 1956 Opening and Closing Ceremonies from the live Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) radio broadcasts. Considering these albums are 60 years old the sound quality is near pristine. These albums are very hard and generally very expensive to find. (Btw a similar recording was released of the Opening Ceremony of the VIIth British Empire and Commonwealth Games in Perth 1962 but it is almost impossible to find.) The third recording is also from a 33 1/3 rpm LP - the official music of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Grenoble 1968 Winter Olympics. The music was composed and conducted by Jacques Bondon and is reminiscent of the music used in the Albertville 1992 ceremonies. Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/292624433

Games of the XVIth Olympiad - Melbourne 1956 - Opening Ceremony (31:03)
Password: olym56op

https://vimeo.com/292624574

Games of the XVIth Olympiad - Melbourne 1956 - Closing Ceremony (35:45)
Password: olym56cl

https://vimeo.com/292625368

Suite for the Tenth Winter Olympiad by Jacques Bondon (38:59)

Password: olwg68ocm

1. Grand Triumphal March (first part)
2. Interlude for an Unexpected Show
3. Grand Triumphal March (second part)
4. Grand Triumphal March (third part)
5. Marche Noble
6. Apotheosis
Lamoureux Orchestra and Chorus, Paris
Jacques Bondon, Conductor
7. Solemn March (by Roger Boutry)
8. Olympic Hymn (by Spiro Samara)
Musique des Gardiens de la Paix de Paris
Desire Dondeyne, Conductor

Nice that at least, after 3 years, I could watch again the Full Toronto Pan Am OC.... Thank you panamfan!!!!

I really like that ceremony and I think while the time passes by, it will be getting more appreciate..

But I am still wondering... Where can I watch the FULL Gold Coast 2018 OC???

In Youtube there are some important parts, but I want to see it in full... according to me, the best ceremony of the year 2018 (so far) Even better than the four PyeongChang ones...

Any idea where can I watch the full version??? ...  or someone who can share it?

In June this year, was held the Opening Ceremony of the FIFA World Cup in Moscow, Russia. According to me, one of the worst ceremonies ever held!!!!

No full version of it is availale on YouTube yet, but not much ceremonies fan are going to miss it.

Nevertheless, and from the other side of the coin, here is one of the best opening ceremony for a FIFA World Cup: Spain 1982, held in Barcelona at Camp Nou Stadium which is available on the historic archives of TVE web page.

Link here and enjoy!

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/programas-y-concursos-en-el-archivo-de-rtve/168557-i10513-futbol-campeonato-20170223143245384-hq/3924525/

On 10/1/2018 at 10:00 PM, Nacholympic said:

Gracias, Nacho -- but, much as I love folk dancing, the dancing is INTERMINABLEDios mio.  I'm glad they got it out of their system and did NOT overindulge in 1992.    Also, was waiting all the time for "Granada," but it never came.  Boy, that Campo Nou stadium is gigantic.

Also,  Juan Carlos was already King of Spain in 1982, I wonder why the Spanish flag isn't the one with the Coat of Arms as we know it today; and considering the present Spanish flag (with the Coat of Arms) was made official on December 31, 1981?  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Such a weird year for ceremonies- Russia, the grandmaster of spectacular ceremonies, pulled out a cheap and amateur opening ceremony, and then put on a magnificent World Cup.

Flashy little Gold Coast put on a classy opening ceremony, a great new model for an affordable Commonwealth Games, and then pulled defeat from the jaws of victory with a truly appalling Closing, that was slammed in real time by the broadcasters!

Then newbies Indonesia managed to upstage them all with great ceremonies and a great Asian Games...the biggest Games around, that were arranged with limited time after Vietnams withdrawal.

Where that leaves us, who knows! 

5 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Such a weird year for ceremonies- Russia, the grandmaster of spectacular ceremonies, pulled out a cheap and amateur opening ceremony, and then put on a magnificent World Cup.

Flashy little Gold Coast put on a classy opening ceremony, a great new model for an affordable Commonwealth Games, and then pulled defeat from the jaws of victory with a truly appalling Closing, that was slammed in real time by the broadcasters!

Then newbies Indonesia managed to upstage them all with great ceremonies and a great Asian Games...the biggest Games around, that were arranged with limited time after Vietnams withdrawal.

Where that leaves us, who knows! 

Yeah... I think it has been the year of "Simple" ceremonies... due to the ongoing and rising protests wherever any Multisport event take part.

Next Saturday is the YOG Opening Ceremony in Buenos Aires, which we should have very low expectations and can not expect, in any case, they top Nanjng. A new style of "Open space" ceremony such as the Argentinian one, is the snwer of what I've previously said. In Argentina's particular case, the games take part in the worst moment ever for any international event...

Flashy little Gold Coast put on a classy opening ceremony, a great new model for an affordable Commonwealth Games,

No doubt it will be THE ceremony of this year... Personally speaking I am stunned by it... by its simplicity, but  extraordinary TV show as  it was... Of course, critics about the show were focused on the segments that were not well seen at the stauim itself, but what we coud see on TV was a truly perfect live show, affordable, elegant, artistic, amazingly talented with no huge mass coreogrpahies nor wowing technology... but so carefuly created and extremely artistic... which can be (no doubt) a precedent for "affordable games ceremonies" for them not to be visually poor and boring... 

So far we have seen the worst ceremonies in years (when is still Buenos Aires to  see) such as both FIFA World Cup ceremonies (will Qatar cotinue this line when is their opotunity to open their doors for the first time im history to the world?) Anyway, soccer events are not concerned about ceremonies, as they were in the past (Korea Japan, France or even Spain and South Africa World Cups) ... For the South American Games (or Odesur Games) held in Cochabamba, Bolivia ... are just to forget.. as Central American Games in Barranquilla...

What were supossed to be the greatest ceremonies of the year, in PyeongChang, were also "afected" by this ongoing "anger" of local people in the host cities: simple and visually atratctive. Not to be remembered as one of the greatest ones, but the significance the join of the two Koreas, which can also be part of the political issue bewteen them... In my personal opinion, we could see that the Paralympics opening ceremony  surpased the Olympic ceremonies themselves... we could see something very close to it for the Paralymic Opening Ceremony of Rio, where there were some parts more attractive ans visually more stunning than the Olympic ones...

We can not close the year yet, we are some days away from Buenos Aires YOG  OC... there is something to be said yet..

6 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Well, yeah; and then the island gods rewarded them with an earthquake, a tsunami and a volcanic explosion; and over 1,400 lives lost so far. 

Sheesh; you can't win for trying!!  

7 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

Today, as it happened on August 19, 2017 with Taipei and Kuala Lumpur, it's also a "double ceremony day".

In adition to YOG OC in Buenos Aires, the Para Asian Games took place in Jakarta!

Indeed.. And here's the other ceremony you've talked about.. 

Buenos Aires Youth Olympic Games 2018

Opening 

• 2 weeks later...

This one's all about the Drumming-Countdown sequence.  See the various designs for the final drum @ 29:00. 

I still DON'T like the sequence.  It's too much "shock-&-awe;"  too intimidating and pseudo-militaristic.  A lighter touch would've conveyed the same  message. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV