Ceremonies on UTube, Part 3

• 4 weeks later...

Boy, does Indonesian President Joko Widodo makes an entrance as a head of state at Jakarta's Opening Ceremony for the 2018 Asian Games! Top that, major powers! Eat your heart, Putin with your shirtless horse riding! Lyashencko in your action sports activities! The action short film with him and his motorcycle impressing the public along the way obviously has to have his stunt double for it. Then again Widodo might have a future in action movies. He sort of smiles like Obama. The flag bearers sporting the Indonesian gold eagle coat of arms look stunning during the Parade of Nations, which comes very early on. Too bad that's semi-interrupted by these constant ads. Video quality can be off at times--and like with Rio 2016, the delegations aren't walking along a track but walking through. Oh yes, there's a unified Korean team sighting here as well as Macau:

Lookie-looky - 北京1990年亚运会的OC - 他们希望首先赢得2000年北京时的排练。 (这是普通话和两部分。)

The OC of Beijing 1990 Asian Games -- their rehearsal for when they hoped to win Beijing 2000 first.  (It's in Mandarin and in 2 parts.) 

How strange that it opens with a western-sounding Viennese waltz!  

The marching Band routines are a poor rip-off of LA 1984's far superior ones.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Hard to believe that the only decent coverage of the Toronto 2015 PanAm Opening is this one -- in Brasilian, no less.  Can anybody find the CBC version? 

Baron-Pierre - I have the CBC (originally streaming) coverage of both the opening and closing ceremony, but I don't have a youtube channel or anywhere to upload them.

7 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

@panamfanI would like to view that version as well. I'm afraid the ceremony is pretty hard to be found online completly due to the whole deal of being made by Cirque du Soleil and everything. 

Could Panamfan post it on Vimeo (and make sure everyone here can quickly view it)?  

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/what-is-vimeo/ 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

12 hours ago, panamfan said:

Here you go: Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games opening ceremony

https://vimeo.com/288968263
Password: panam2015

Thanks, PanAm.

So far, the 1st half-hour, it has a real amateurish feel to it.  Just mixing up the regular elements doesn't necessarily make it better.

Also, this vice-regal salute for all the ex-colonies of the Commonwealth. what is the point of saluting a head of state who isn't there??  It looks so dumb when you;re honoring this presence WHO ISN'T THERE?  What if s/he is just made up -- a hologram?  I really wish they would drop this "substitution" bit from OC's in ex-Commie countries.  

Back to watching.

OK, final critique, having watched the whole OC now.  A dull, uninspired, anti-climactic, joyless ceremony.  Terrible lighting -- everything always dark that as a viewer, you never got a sense of the stadium, or the scale of anything.  Typical or even 2nd-rate Cirque du Soleil.  This would not even have passed muster in Vegas.  It's almost like a poor man's copy of London 2012.  Such a letdown after an "A" ceremony in Vancouver.  Might not even feel motivated to watch the Closing.  

Verdict: A lower case "c-" (for "canada."  ;) )

Here is a new and very rare find indeed: A portion of ESPN's coverage of the 1993 World University Games in Buffalo.  They aired six hours total 3 on the last Saturday and 3 on the last Sunday of the games. I have most of the Saturday (I think it is) broadcast on a DVD (dubbed from VHS) but this is the first time I have ever seen a clip on youtube.  This 20 minute clip from the Sunday telecast includes the opening of the broadcast (with the opening title sequence and theme music, an introduction by ESPN's host John Saunders, and the diving event.  Its was posted by a gentlemen who was the main cameraman at the diving venue. ESPN did not televise the ceremonies, but a quick glimpse of the cauldron lighting can be seen in the opening intro. Enjoy!  BTW: ESPN did not buy rights to the 1993 WUG - these broadcasts were a time buy by the organizing committee. Shows you how little interest there was in these games even though they were held in the USA.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Could Panamfan post it on Vimeo (and make sure everyone here can quickly view it)?  

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/what-is-vimeo/ 

I have uploaded two new "video" files: These are the files contain extensive audio from the CBC TV broadcasts of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 1999 Pan American Games in Winnipeg.  Years ago, I found streaming video files of both ceremonies in different places on the internet.  At the time, I did not have the ability to download the videos with the primitive computer and dial-up connection I had then. But, I was able to dub extensive audio from them through the speakers ear phone jack to a cassette tape deck.  Thus the audio is not CD quality by any means but is much better than could have been expected from such a primitive set up.  I think you will still enjoy these audio files and if you want to hear more of the music from the ceremonies, I highly recommend the official CD https://www.amazon.com/Music-American-Games-Victor-Davies/dp/B001T4IW2E Enjoy!

These ceremonies were way better than Toronto 2015 and I wish so much the CBC telecasts would show up on youtube or somewhere.

Winnipeg 1999 Opening Ceremony CBC TV audio (1:02:40)
https://vimeo.com/291405442
Pwd: panam1999o

Winnipeg 1999 Closing Ceremony CBC TV audio (1:06:50)
https://vimeo.com/291405872
Pwd: panam1999c

3 hours ago, BTHarner said:

I remember watching the video of those ceremonies on a Pan Am Games Fan website, which I believe disappeared sometime after the 2003 Games. A shame as it was one of the very few fan websites ever dedicated to the Pan Am Games

That was my website - The Pan American Games Fan Pages!  Thanks for remembering it. I'm glad somebody appreciated my work.  I'm sad, too, that it was lost - I was very proud of it.  I loved watching the 1987 and 1991 games on CBS and ABC/TNT and was mad that there were only 2 hours of highlights of the 1999 games shown in the US (at least on English language TV) and none of the 2003 games which is why I decided to start the site and try to educate and inform people about the Pan Am Games - especially after I started researching their history in old newspaper articles and the USOC Olympic Books and other places, and discovered so many interesting and even bizarre things that happened at the games over the years. And, I like to think that I may have been successful as ESPN started covering the games (in Spanish at first) in 2007 - coincidence or not?  Somebody re-posted some of what I wrote on my site on Wikipedia's Pan American Games pages, I won't get credit for it, but it makes me happy to know that I've helped to educate people about the Pan Am Games which I love so much.  I didn't have the ceremony videos on my site, but I had links to them - which is what you are thinking of.

• Like 2