Attending The Olympic Games

Canuck

Anyhow, this is the subject which seperates the "kiddies" from the "experts. Talk all you want about how "pretty" the 250 Million Euro Roof is on the Olympic Stadium, and trash Atlanta's Olympic Stadium all you want. If you haven't gone to an Olympics, you do tend to lose your credibility in debating such subjects.

Well I covered 6 Games as a media consultant, volunteered at another and have attended all up 11 Olympics - summer and winter.

The best summer Games for me were Sydney, Barcelona and Seoul.  Worst was probably Athens - but for no other reason than it wasn't jawdroppingly good - just really good.

The best winter Games for me were Nagano, Lillehammer and Albertville.  Now if you want to talk white elephants, lets chat about Nagano!

I will also attend Torino and Beijing.  I am not sure about Vancouver as my main Winter interest is the alpine events - all of which are in Whistler.  I am not convinced there will be accomodation and transport solutions for an Olympic fan who would rather avoid Vancouver all together.  Time will tell.

London is a foregone conclusion.  Definantly there.

Also I have attended 5 Commonwealth Games in one capacity or another - Brisbane, Auckland, Victoria, KL and Manchester.  Three FIFA World Cups - USA, France and Korea/Japan - and at Torch D's insistence will go to Germany.

I havent been to the Superbowl as I cant make head nor tails of Gridiron.  I have been to two Goodwill (!!!) Games, five Paralympics, seven AFL finals, four NRL finals, two World Athletics championships, three FINA World Championships, numerous worlkd cup alpine events and to the Australian premiere of 'Cool Runnings'...

I think I fit into your 'credible poster' requirement.

For the record I loved Atlanta and wasnt blown away by the Athens Stadium - but, meh - it served its purpose well.

Anyhow, this is the subject which seperates the "kiddies" from the "experts. Talk all you want about how "pretty" the 250 Million Euro Roof is on the Olympic Stadium, and trash Atlanta's Olympic Stadium all you want. If you haven't gone to an Olympics, you do tend to lose your credibility in debating such subjects.

Well I covered 6 Games as a media consultant, volunteered at another and have attended all up 11 Olympics - summer and winter.

The best summer Games for me were Sydney, Barcelona and Seoul.  Worst was probably Athens - but for no other reason than it wasn't jawdroppingly good - just really good.

The best winter Games for me were Nagano, Lillehammer and Albertville.  Now if you want to talk white elephants, lets chat about Nagano!

I will also attend Torino and Beijing.  I am not sure about Vancouver as my main Winter interest is the alpine events - all of which are in Whistler.  I am not convinced there will be accomodation and transport solutions for an Olympic fan who would rather avoid Vancouver all together.  Time will tell.

London is a foregone conclusion.  Definantly there.

Also I have attended 5 Commonwealth Games in one capacity or another - Brisbane, Auckland, Victoria, KL and Manchester.  Three FIFA World Cups - USA, France and Korea/Japan - and at Torch D's insistence will go to Germany.

I havent been to the Superbowl as I cant make head nor tails of Gridiron.  I have been to two Goodwill (!!!) Games, five Paralympics, seven AFL finals, four NRL finals, two World Athletics championships, three FINA World Championships, numerous worlkd cup alpine events and to the Australian premiere of 'Cool Runnings'...

I think I fit into your 'credible poster' requirement.

For the record I loved Atlanta and wasnt blown away by the Athens Stadium - but, meh - it served its purpose well.

I've always known you had the credentials...lol.

Anyways, I hear you on Athens. It was a beautiful setting, and had all the makings for a great Olympic Games....if ATHOC and the Greek Government had done it's job.

The delay in construction, The fears about security, The overall nature of the Greeks to wait until the last second to finish everything. They really led to those small crowds, lack of International Tourists, and the overall lack of buzz in the city.

Not to mention that you couldn't avoid the white elephant factor when standing in the Olympic Complexes.

BTW: TNMP....You should get to a Super Bowl once, and then compare it to the Olympic Experience.....With the exception of one overhyped event as opposed to several...It's basically the same atmosphere.

Archived