Attending The Olympic Games

Canuck

Would you ever have an interest in attending the Summer and/or Winter Olympic Games? Why or Why Not? I would like to see the Olympics one day in the future because it would be interesting to see the world unite for a major sporting event and I could be the games with people from all over the world. I have had thought of possibly attending the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver or the 2012 Summer Olympics in London unless the United States host the 2016 Summer Olympics, and maybe in the city I believe will host the XXXI Olympiad, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota.
For me, 2010 is a given since they are in my backyard.  But I have always wanted to attend the Games - closest I came to actually going were Atlanta and SLC.  But having the vacation time and the necessary funds at the same time have always been a problem, but hopefully I'll get a shot at 2008 or 2012 as well.
Okay, In have hopes and vague plans that I might try to make it to 2008 _ then again, as friends have told me, they are going to be in my time zone, so they'd also be the perfect ones to stay home and watch on TV. So maybe London 2012 could be the go!
You guys know me in this regard in the past. As for Vancouver 2010, I could try to attend those Games in person.
Roltel...of course you must have gone to the Sydney Games.  Or did the Sydney Games come to you?

Of course, of course _ and I sure made the most of it!!! Ah, treasured memories!

Actually, they almost did come to me _ the marathon route went past about four blocks from my home.

I also had a great junket to the Atlanta Games as well (thanks to much-maligned IBM).

It would be great to go to a Winter Games as well _ maybe I can freeload and beg some lodgings off one of the many Vanouverites here come 2010!

You guys know me in this regard in the past. As for Vancouver 2010, I could try to attend those Games in person.

I don't remember, please explain again..

Anyhow, this is the subject which seperates the "kiddies" from the "experts. Talk all you want about how "pretty" the 250 Million Euro Roof is on the Olympic Stadium, and trash Atlanta's Olympic Stadium all you want. If you haven't gone to an Olympics, you do tend to lose your credibility in debating such subjects.

Of all the major events I've been too...That includes the FIFA World Cup, NFL's Super Bowl, the NCAA's Final Four, MLB's World Series, the Ryder Cup, etc.....The Olympic Games is the event which is drastically different when your there then when your watching on television.

When your watching on television, it's all about the sights, roofs, the Late Night Talk Shows, the little special features, and the event itself. But the Olympic Games are a party....with a sporting theme. There's no time at the party to worry about anything other then when the next event, or the next party is. Heck, you don't want to worry about anything other then that.....

Obviously, the real job of the OCOG is to make sure the trains run on time, people get to where they need to be, and make it as easy as possible from touch down in the host city, to take off leaving it.

It's also why in the minds of many Olympic Experts, Atlanta will always get looked upon in a bad light, and Athens despite it's massive debt, and the debacle in the seven years of prep won't.

Of course, it's an entirely different story when you see what Atlanta has done with it's venues and it's Olympic legacy, compared to the Greeks and it's white elephants...which are now up for lease.

Truth is, I loved Athens....I thought that the City was fantastic, and beautiful. And I have many fond memories of both the people I met there, how hospitable the hosts were, how easy it was to get around.

But.....

That doesn't mean that in the whole context of everything that they hosted a "magical dream games". Last time I checked the trains ran on time in Montreal too....And I actually was thinking while riding that tram one day to the basketball arena/baseball complex about how it was going to be a hinderance when you factor how much actual use it will get compared to the costs of maintaining it. It was clean, it had A/C, but I had no doubts that the cars would come back on August 31st and beyond.

Sometimes the legacy of seventeen days of glory gets overshadowed by everlasting debt, useless venues, and an ongoing feeling of "Now what?" Not to mention that many of us haven't fully recovered from the massive headaches ACOG put the Olympic Community through in the last eight years.

Depending on what career route I decide to take (whether it be Navy, Teaching, or something else) I am going to try and go to Vancouver in 2010. I mean it's only like a 20 minute drive from the USA so why not? If not Vancouver in 2010 then i'll try for London in 2012. If i'm really lucky i'll attend both!  :)

I went to Lake Placid '80 when I was 17.  Such fun and very exciting.

I was suppose to go to Los Angeles in '84 hopefully as part of the Olympic Marching Band.  But being 21, the lure of getting a big job in the big city (Chicago) caused me to stupidly pass up that opportunity  :cry:

During Calgary I was too poor to go.  Atlanta I screwed up the ticket order form and gave up.  Salt Lake was too soon after 9/11 for me to go.  

I'll probably go to Vancouver for a few days since it is only a short drive from Seattle (one of my favorite cities) so I can combine two trips in one!

BTW, Seattle is expecting a windfall from Vancouver since they are projecting a lot of people flying into SEATAC and driving over the border.

Other than that I will hopefully be living back in Chicago when they host the 2016 games!  :wwww:  :unclesam:

I went to Lake Placid '80 when I was 17.  Such fun and very exciting.

Ask the Media about their experience at Lake Placid....

With the obvious concern of the expense of it all....You'd want to be in Beijing. They're going all out, sparing no detail, nor expense, and with all the pressure on these games...They're going to deliver big time.

For the post mentioning about clarification about me, I was (and still living in) in Calgary for the 1988 Winter Olympics. What a party it was for the city and area.

As for future Olympic Games that I could be attending in the future, Vancouver 2010 is a definite possibility.

Archived