Canada in Korea

2 hours ago, krow said:

now i'm torn between wanting the US to finally win and wanting canada to win just to prove you wrong.

I hope I am wrong, but the Americans look to be the better team. Szabados will have to have the game of her life for Canada to win.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:20 PM, Gangwon said:

What's a realistic medal tally prediction at this point?  10 golds and 25 medals?

Just from predicted medals left.

Alex Harvey - 50km Classic

Men's Curling

Men's Hockey (I think a medal is in the bag now with a semi-final against Germany)

Kaitlyn Osmond - Ladies Figure Skating

Samual Girard - 500m Short Track (would have to get through a very tough quarter-final) (4th place in the fastest 500m in history, also first time since Nagano that a Canadian didn''t medal in that race)

1000m Short Track - all 3 Canadians are potential medalist (Silver medal in one of the most enjoyable races I've seen in awhile)

5000m Relay (got a medal, but they should have won, Hamelin cost Canada the gold)

Men's Big Air - lots of predictions of two medals.

Vincent d'Haitre - 1000m speed skating (if he's recovered from the ankle injury)

Ivanie Blondin - mass start

Not Predicted but a good chance at a medal.

4-man bobsleigh

Ladies Ski Cross (3 Canadians were the three top qualifiers) (I guess I could have put this in predicted but Simmerling was injuried and not selected, but 2 medals)

Edited by Faster

Still having trouble comparing the relative performances because of how many more events are being contested now compared to Lillehammer in 1994. 34 events have been added and Canada performs well in the new events. 

As a percentage of Olympic champions Pyeongchang stands third at 9.80% and third for total medals on offer at 8.82%. Obviously there is a lot more medals to come, but even in a most optimistic 12 golds and 30 medals, it only bumps those percentages up into 2nd place behind the performances in Vancouver. With potentially no hockey or curling gold (traditional) the number of gold won is impressive. But still. 

The biggest improvement I see is that for the first time Canada is producing athletes that win multiple medals across multiple Olympics outside of short track speed skating. It really started with le May Doan. Also another big criticism of Canadian athletes in the past is that they peak too early. In these Olympics you've had a fair number of athletes (Serwa and Leman in the last day and a half, Bloeman etc.) peak at the Olympics and turn those peaks into gold medals. Something that was missing before when Canada had an army of strong freestyle skiers that never got it done at the Olympics. I mean there have been misses there too, but damn it is nice.

Edited by Faster

I used to live in Kelowna for 12 years while I was going to college and University. Met Kelsey Serwa a few times. It's too bad Kelsey's great gandma didn't see this gold medal run. She passed away in late January before the games started. Made it to the awesome age of 106! Here's a short article about her on Castanet: Serwa matriarch passes

4 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Good luck in the bronze match.

Thank you. Really hoping Germany wins in the gold medal game. And hopefully this inspires a new generation of German kids to play hockey so that there is a dozen Leon Draisaitl instead of just one.

14 hours ago, SkiFreak said:

Who's Kaitlyn Osbourns? Does she skate for the USA? ;) :P

Congrats to Kaetlyn Osmond! 27 medals!!!

27 medals is pretty incredible.  I'm more than happy with the Canadian performances these Games.  It's always great to break an old record!

7 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

I'm sorry, it was a late night, don't know what I was thinking. As much as I love the Olympics, I will enjoy getting more than 5 hours of sleep each night next week once they're over ;)

Same here. Been pulling a lot of all-nighters. At least I'm on seasonal layoff from work right now.