Canada in Korea

On 1/14/2018 at 12:52 PM, Faster said:

Also going to put it other there. I am guessing there is going to be controversy in the selection of the Canadian Figure Skating team. I think they will select Nam Nguyen over Keegan Messing. 

I was wrong and am not happy about it. Nguyen is the future of Canadian men's skating. He has more international experience and would take the pressure off of Chan in the team event more than Messing.

20 hours ago, Faster said:

I was wrong and am not happy about it. Nguyen is the future of Canadian men's skating. He has more international experience and would take the pressure off of Chan in the team event more than Messing.

I agree. Messing struggled all season. Oh well.

Moir/Virtue are the flagbearers.

Keeping it in figure skating, PM Justin Trudeau announces today at an Ottawa news conferece that skating pair Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir will carry the maple leaf into Pyeongchang during the Opening Ceremony in February. First time figure skating will have that honor since Kurt Browning in 1994:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/watch-canada-unveil-olympic-flag-bearer-for-pyeongchang-1.4489152

https://www.tsn.ca/virtue-and-moir-will-carry-the-maple-leaf-1.969432

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/virtue-moir-canadas-flag-bearers-pyeongchang-2018/

7 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Patrick Chan is still around? Oh good grief. He'll more than likely miss the podium on the men's competition if he doesn't pull off 2 flawless performances.

Even with that its unlikely he wins a medal... the competition is simply better all because of the quad.

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

Even with that its unlikely he wins a medal... the competition is simply better all because of the quad.

Well he'll for sure win a medal in the team competition. In fact they've got a great shot at winning gold there. But yeah even Javier Fernandez, who looked like he was on his way to getting a gold this year, won't medal this year. It's amazing how Chan squandered a perfect opportunity 4yrs ago. All he had to do was skate cleanly.

• 3 weeks later...

A good start for Canada

Mixed Curling: 3-1. Games remaining against Switzerland and Russia though. Still could be tight but Canada has played better every game.

Moguls: 5 of 7 directly through to the finals. I doubt it will be two 1-2's again, but 2 to 3 medals is still on the table.

Figure Skating: Best possible outcome so far. Things are looking very strong for a medal and good chance it is gold. A lot will depend on Osmond coming up with a 2nd place finish in the ladies short. 

First truly surprising medal of the Games for Canada in Ladies Slopestyle. Especially remarkable since Blouin went down pretty hard. Out of the first round of events I thought the surprise medal would come from Blondin in the 3000m or Harvey in the Skiathlon. 

The only real miss has been 1500m in short track.

Now up to 7 medals. Above pace according to SI and Infostrata, same total medals as Sochi to this point but one less gold.

Tomorrow:

Mixed Doubles Curling

Women's Luge

Men's 1500m long track

Women's 500m short track.

Could be 5 medals, but 2 would be a win. 

Still not sure what to make of Canada's performance so far. Only one real medal miss (well two but Boutin made up for the DSQ). Canada isn't winning the marginal medals that would be needed to get into the mid 30's, but the team is still doing better than both major sets of predictions, the USA Today predictions were a little too bullish for my liking. 

Projectimg out; Canada will need another 4 to 6 medals in freestyle skiing, 2 to 4 medals in snowboarding (going to be tough since women's cross is not a strength this time), 4 to 6 medals in speed skating, 2 to 4 medals in sliding and another 4 to 6 medals from hockey/figure skating/curling/cross country. So still in that spot of mid to high 20's I think. But given everything Canada won 24 medals in 84 events in 2006, compared to maybe 30 medals in 102 events. So the extra events are really helping Canada out. Hopefully skate cross gets added next. 

Kinda worried about Homan though. Not a good lose to Korea and follows that up with a game against Sweden. 

Edited by Faster

i was pretty shocked he didn't medal.  of course all my least favorite countries did. quite surprising he blew that last jump.

at least you poached that dutch speedskater bloemen. that gamble's been paying better dividends than bitcoin stocks.

Predicted Medals Left:

USA Today (7G, 3S, 4B)

2-Woman Bobsleigh - Gold

Alex Harvery 50km - Bronze

Women's Curling - Gold

Men's Curling - Gold

Kaitlyn Osmond - Bronze

Kevin Drury - Ski Cross - Bronze

Men's Hockey - Gold

Women's Hockey - Gold

Big Air - Men's Gold and Silver

500m STSS - Samual Girard - Bronze

5000m Relay - Silver

1000m Women's SSTS Kim Boutin - Silver

Ivanie Blondin - Mass Start - Gold

GraceSport (5G, 3S, 4B)

2-Woman Bobsleigh - Gold

Women's Curling - Gold

Men's Curling - Gold

Men's Hockey - Gold

Big Air - Men's Gold and Bronze

1000m Women's SSTS St. Gelais - Silver

Women's Hockey - Silver

Ivanie Blondin - Mass Start - Silver

3000m Relay - Bronze

5000m Relay - Bronze

SI (5G, 3S 6B) (nothing too different from the others)

So all 3 sets of predictions have Canada projected out to between 31 and 33 medals including at least 12 gold. 

k well i saw 3 events today, ice dancing, ski halfpipe and bobsled and you took gold in all of them, plus a solid win in women's hockey. so i hope you're not still complaining about your performance. it was all canada all day basically.

meanwhile i can't even remember the last time we won a gold medal. thank god we're the only country on earth that can land a jump on a snowboard or this olympics would be a bigger disaster for us than london was for you.

16 minutes ago, krow said:

k well i saw 3 events today, ice dancing, ski halfpipe and bobsled and you took gold in all of them, plus a solid win in women's hockey. so i hope you're not still complaining about your performance. it was all canada all day basically.

meanwhile i can't even remember the last time we won a gold medal. thank god we're the only country on earth that can land a jump on a snowboard or this olympics would be a bigger disaster for us than london was for you.

London wasn't a disaster. Comparable would be Athens. 

Also should add that Canada valued 5 gold medals above all others. Canada has won one, and the other 4 aren't looking good,. 

Edited by Faster

28 minutes ago, Faster said:

London wasn't a disaster. Comparable would be Athens. 

Also should add that Canada valued 5 gold medals above all others. Canada has won one, and the other 4 aren't looking good,. 

the women's hockey isn't looking good? are you watching the same games i am?