Canada in Korea

Biathlon: 5 men, 5 women; improvement of 2 over Sochi

Curling: 1 women's team, would take a miracle for the men to not qualify

Figure Skating: 3 pairs; looking good to send 3 ladies, 3 ice dance and probably 2 men unless Chan get get into the top 2.

Hockey: men's and women's team. It is hockey. 

Canada qualified 10 in biathlon for 2014 as well, but Biathlon Canada only sent 4 per gender. The fifth athlete is usually a reserve anyways.

Both speed skating/cross-country skiing will see less athletes this time around. Only 7 women have the a standard right now for cc skiing.

Also the mixed doubles team in curling stands in qualification spot right now.

Here's hoping both Canadian ladies holds it together and be on the podium. The free skate has been Osmond's nemesis this season.  Hope she pulls through. As for the men 2 scenarios to get 3: Chan remains third while kevin moves up to 10th or Patrick moves up to 2nd and Kevin moves up to 11 or 13. If they can get higher placements, the better. 

19 hours ago, Faster said:

A little surprised by speed skating since the consensus is that Canada is sending a stronger team to Pyeonchang then was sent to Sochi.

Yes but the overall strength is weak. We have only 2-3 athletes that could medal (Bloeman, De Haitre and Blondin).

So 17 skaters in figure skating. Highest qualified nation and given the results Canada should be favoured for the Team Trophy. Chan needs to clean up his long program and D/R need to recover and rework their programs to be more inline with the judging. 

• 4 weeks later...

Canada qualified in mixed curling today.

That is going to be some interesting qualification. I am pretty sure the Canadian curling association is going to discourage someone from qualifying in both. But you will have a lot of disappointed curlers come December looking at the mixed qualification in January as their Olympic chance. 

• 6 months later...

Bored, so I thought I'd update this.

Predictions are that Canada will win 31 medals, but only 5 gold (one of those is men's hockey so take that with a grain of salt).

Canada is maxed out in freestyle skiing. Stupid FIS qualification system. Utter nonsense. 

Final roaster is set for the curling trials. On the men's side I'd be happiest with McEwen or Jacobs, but think that any one of McEwen, Jacobs, Gushue or Koe are good enough to win.

Women's side, it has to be Homan or Jones. No other rink can compete with the depth of the women's field.

Edited by Faster

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am super excited about these Olympics. Canadian performances could be huge

A Canadian could win two golds in speed skating for the first time since Gaetan Boucher in 1984

A Canadian could win medals in the distance events in speed skating in forever (or never before)

Humphreys could become the first Canadian ever to defend her gold medal twice. 

Charles Hamlin could become the most decorated Canadian Olympian ever.

First male medal in cross country skiing

First Canadians to win two curling medals.

Just so much to look forward to. 

I don't know what there is to be pessimistic about. There are a bunch of new events that Canada is a medal contender in. Sending our strongest teams in a generation in a couple of sports. I don't see Canada winning 9 medals in freestyle skiing again, but 4 to 6 is a good bet.

Canada staying in the mid 20's with a good showing compared to the USA, Norway and Germany and it will be a success. 

On 12/01/2018 at 1:59 AM, Faster said:

I don't know what there is to be pessimistic about. There are a bunch of new events that Canada is a medal contender in. Sending our strongest teams in a generation in a couple of sports. I don't see Canada winning 9 medals in freestyle skiing again, but 4 to 6 is a good bet.

Canada staying in the mid 20's with a good showing compared to the USA, Norway and Germany and it will be a success. 

As in there isn't as many gold medal faves... so it might drop the team down the table. For ex. Humphries finished 9th! today at the world cup.

Anyways my predictions:

Alpine skiing: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck.

Biathlon: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck

Bobsleigh: 2 medals (one men's and one women's)

Cross-country skiing: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck

Curling: 3 medals, anything less would be a real shock. 

Figure skating: Team medal, ice dance and perhaps Osmond in the women's event. 3 medals.

Freestyle skiing: 2 moguls medals, one in women's ski cross, one in slopestyle, one in halfpipe. 5 total. 

Hockey: 2 medals (hard to gauge though)

Luge: 2 medals (one women's and one relay)

Nordic Combined: Not competing in the sport, so 0. 

Skeleton: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck

Ski jumping: 0 medals

Short track: 2 relay medals, Hamelin with an individual medal, the women with one individual medal. 4 medals.

Snowboarding: 2 medals in men's slopestyle and 2 medals in big air. 4 total. 

Speed skating: I think Bloeman will win 2 medals, a women's medal (likely Blondin) and maybe another one from the men. So 3-4.

Total: 32-37

15 hours ago, intoronto said:

As in there isn't as many gold medal faves... so it might drop the team down the table. For ex. Humphries finished 9th! today at the world cup.

Anyways my predictions:

Alpine skiing: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck.

Biathlon: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck

Bobsleigh: 2 medals (one men's and one women's)

Cross-country skiing: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck

Curling: 3 medals, anything less would be a real shock. 

Figure skating: Team medal, ice dance and perhaps Osmond in the women's event. 3 medals.

Freestyle skiing: 2 moguls medals, one in women's ski cross, one in slopestyle, one in halfpipe. 5 total. 

Hockey: 2 medals (hard to gauge though)

Luge: 2 medals (one women's and one relay)

Nordic Combined: Not competing in the sport, so 0. 

Skeleton: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck

Ski jumping: 0 medals

Short track: 2 relay medals, Hamelin with an individual medal, the women with one individual medal. 4 medals.

Snowboarding: 2 medals in men's slopestyle and 2 medals in big air. 4 total. 

Speed skating: I think Bloeman will win 2 medals, a women's medal (likely Blondin) and maybe another one from the men. So 3-4.

Total: 32-37

My guess was 7 to 9 gold and 24 to 30 medals. 

I wouldn't characterize a medal in skeleton as luck. Rankings say that Canada should be a serious medal contender. 

Edited by Faster