Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rafa

The Way it should have been

if you could go back and change one Olympic games city, which would you choose

I would change Athens to Stockholm

atlanta to athens (whether they were prepared or not the centennial games should have gone to athens automatically)

atlanta to athens (whether they were prepared or not the centennial games should have gone to athens automatically)

Well, the Centennial Games played in Athens.... Athens, Georgia, that is.... :laughlong:

2012 to Paris.

the more i think about it the more i am looking forward to the London games, it should be wonderful

London 48 to Detroit

Helsinki 52 to Detroit

Melbourne to Detroit

Rome to Detroit

Tokyo to Detroit

Mexico to Detroit

Munich to Detroit

What about:

LA 84 to Tehran

Atlanta 96 to Port au Prince

SLC 02 to Karachi

:P

This is such a crap question - but I'll join in.

I'm only going for the more recent Games as the earlier ones - meh.

1988 - While Seoul staged a technically good Games, I wonder how Japan would have staged the Nagoya Games...  Japan was at it's financial peak in the late 1980's - unaffected by the stock market crash - thus the no expense spared concept would have outstripped even the mad spending of the Koreans.  Also Melbourne submitted an application - and 1988 was Australia's Bicentenary - so that would have resulted in an interesting Games.

1992 - Barcelona did so well - so no wish for Paris or Brisbane.  However I would have preferred a Swedish winter Games.

1994 - Lillehammer was awesome.  No wish to change anything!

1996 - Hmm, Toronto or Melbourne would've made me happier.  Athens would have been too big a risk.  Atlanta did well though.

1998 - Definantly Ostersund.  But Nagano was OK.  Worst case of white elephants though.  A city of 300,000 with three 10,000+ seat arenas.... Madness.  I liked Aosta plans too.

2000 - Sydney all the way - but I must say Berlin and Manchester both had great plans.  Istanbul had the best looking polans - but teh finances were way out of whack.  Milano also looked good - but huge reservations were held over their transport and budget.  Beijing's 2000 plan was far too ambitious.

2002 - SLC had the best plan.  Though I'd have liked to see Ostersund or Quebec City.  Both had solid plans.

2004 - Athens did very well - but based strictly on the bid plans, Stockholm and possibly Cape Town were the more interesting propsals.  Buenos Aires and Rome were good too - but the Swedes had a really well thought out financial and venue plan.  Out of the other 6 bidders books I have seen, Rio was extremely pricey, Istanbul was 2000 all over again, San Juan was totally fantastical - no chance! and St Petersburg was also very costly.  I am getting sent copies of Lille and Sevilla - so I may have to add to this.

2006 - Helsinki.  It was a very responsible bid, but I understand why the IOC said no.  Sion had a solid bid - but a solid bid doesnt win you an Olympics.  I hacve also seen Zakopane and Poprad Tatry's books - neither really thrilled me.

2008 - Beijing was always gonna win.  Toronto has the best bid books - the plans were great and financially sound.  Istanbul was my preferred candidate - they had come down from never never land and delivered a possible bid.  A shame they were so easily dismissed.  Osaka also had an excellent bid and got shafted.

2010 - Berne.  Heh heh.  Nah I liked Salzburg.  Really good bid.

2012 - I thought they were all great bids.  I am glad London won - but for the first time ever I had no issues with any bid.  Even Moscow.

And how exactly was Sofia planning on paying for those Games?  As history showed, once the 'Iron Curtain' fell (remember 1992 was chosen in 1986) many Eastern European nations were having serious monetary and sociological problems - even in Bulgaria.

Also remember the IOC had just had a winter Games in Sarajevo - which I think explains how Sofia got so many votes.  A real goodwill factor to the Eastern Europeans - but in all reality I would've been stunned by a Sofia win.

I find it amusing that many people put their city up closer to the front of the list to a time when they were too young or not alive.  Well, for me, I would have preferred it if Montreal had staged the Games in 1996 when I was 22 and not 2 like in 1976.  This would have allowed me to volunteer at the Games and would have allowed Montreal to stage a better financed Games than in 1976.  I might have also gone to university in Montreal so I could live the Olympic experience up close.  And the timing would not have thrown Vancouver 2010 off either.

London 48 to Detroit

Helsinki 52 to Detroit

Melbourne to Detroit

Rome to Detroit

Tokyo to Detroit

Mexico to Detroit

Munich to Detroit

What about:

LA 84 to Tehran

Atlanta 96 to Port au Prince

SLC 02 to Karachi

:P

:laugh:

And how exactly was Sofia planning on paying for those Games?  As history showed, once the 'Iron Curtain' fell (remember 1992 was chosen in 1986) many Eastern European nations were having serious monetary and sociological problems - even in Bulgaria.

Also remember the IOC had just had a winter Games in Sarajevo - which I think explains how Sofia got so many votes.  A real goodwill factor to the Eastern Europeans - but in all reality I would've been stunned by a Sofia win.

That's right, I was only dreaming, but Sofia deserved the 1992/1994 Games, another issue is what could have happend if Sofia was awarded with them in the prospect of the Iron Curtain fall

from my what i know and have read this is how things should have played out, be mindful that the bids are seperate from each other and this list will look well weird

1988 - Nagoya was favoured, politcal and American pressure gave the games to Seoul

1988 - Falun was favoured, but the IOC developed a soft stop for Canada after something like 12 failed bids and the Montreal Games

1992 - Sofia was favoured, but unlikely, Cortina and Falun would have been the more likely winners without Barcelona interferance

1992 - Paris easily

1994 - Ostersund was again favoured

1996 - tech wise Toronto should have won those games, USA support caused Atlanta to be the English winner and have Melbournes, Manchesters and Toronto's support, if Toronto had made to past Atlanta it would have won, same with Melbourne and Manchester

1998 - Salt Lake City should have won, though Ostersun and Aosta could have also won

2000 - Beijing hands down

2002 - Salt Lake City, Sion and Ostersund should have also come close

2004 - Rome or Stockholm

2006 - Sion or Helsinki

2008 - Toronto

2010 - Berne without question

2012 - London

so final list

1988 - Nagoya

1988 - Calgary

1992 - Cortina

1992 - Paris

1994 - Ostersund

1996 - Melbourne

1998 - Salt Lake City

2000 - Beijing

2002 - Sion

2004 - Rome

2006 - Helsinki

2008 - Toronto

2010 - Pyeonchange

2012 - London

though this list would have quite good, without Lillehammer, Sydney and Barcelona i would not have prefered it

from my what i know and have read this is how things should have played out, be mindful that the bids are seperate from each other and this list will look well weird

1988 - Nagoya was favoured, politcal and American pressure gave the games to Seoul

1988 - Falun was favoured, but the IOC developed a soft stop for Canada after something like 12 failed bids and the Montreal Games

1992 - Sofia was favoured, but unlikely, Cortina and Falun would have been the more likely winners without Barcelona interferance

1992 - Paris easily

1996 - tech wise Toronto should have won those games, USA support caused Atlanta to be the English winner and have Melbournes, Manchesters and Toronto's support, if Toronto had made to past Atlanta it would have won, same with Melbourne and Manchester

1998 - Salt Lake City should have won, though Ostersun and Aosta could have also won

2004 - Rome or Stockholm

2006 - Sion or Helsinki

2008 - Toronto

2012 - London

so final list

1988 - Nagoya

1988 - Calgary

1992 - Cortina

1992 - Paris

1994 - Ostersund

1996 - Melbourne

1998 - Salt Lake City

2000 - Beijing

2002 - Sion

2004 - Rome

2006 - Helsinki

2008 - Toronto

2010 - Pyeonchange

2012 - London

though this list would have quite good, without Lillehammer, Sydney and Barcelona i would not have prefered it

So is London the only descision that you agree with?

the way things did work out, i agree with Calgary, Barcelona, Lillehammer, Sydney, and SLC, along with London

Only two really stick out in my mind -

Chicago over St. Louis in 1904

Toronto over Bejing in 2008

2006 Sion instead of Turin

1904 Chicago instead of St. Louis

2008 Toronto instead of Beijing

1992 - Paris easily

2004 - Rome or Stockholm

2006 - Sion or Helsinki

2008 - Toronto

2012 - London

so final list

1988 - Nagoya

1988 - Calgary

1992 - Cortina

1992 - Paris

1994 - Ostersund

1996 - Melbourne

1998 - Salt Lake City

2000 - Beijing

2002 - Sion

2004 - Rome

2006 - Helsinki

2008 - Toronto

2010 - Pyeonchange

2012 - London

Berne didn't have a serious chance even if it had continued with the 2010 bid. To begin with when the shortlist was announced they were last. the 2010 from the start was between Vancouver and Salzburg with Pyeonchang spoiling the party for the Austrians.

Berne was considered the strongest bid of the four finalist

there was no ranking during the shortlist or during the evaulations, so you can no say who was last or first. the competition was between Salzburg, Berne and Vancouver, and Berne was considered the better bid, but Vancouver the favourite

I think in the end Vancouver would have won anyway.  Salzburg only got 16 votes and that sneeky little Korean village got over 50.