EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2017

Eurovision 2017

This Year only a few songs stand out.

The two stand out songs are

Joint first Georgia!!! and Portugal!!

with joint second Albania, Cyprus, Hungary, belarus

Joint third Poland, Russia, France.

This year I rate the UK entry as being one of our best and rate it   to finish  in the top eight.

the bookies  faverout Italy I think is just OK.

What you really need to know about the Russian entry (besides being godawful): https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/russia-chose-a-wheelchair-confined-singer-for-eurovision-ukraine-might-ban-her/2017/03/13/cee95400-07ee-11e7-bd19-fd3afa0f7e2a_story.html?utm_term=.fb414239d711

Also, Italy isn't just the bookie fave, it's the absolutely HUGE bookie fave, noone comes even remotely close:

My personal faves are Belarus, Hungary, Italy, France, Iceland. UK indeed has its best song in years, and my own country is destined to finish last three years in a row sadly.

15 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Italy isn't just the bookie fave, it's the absolutely HUGE bookie fave, noone comes even remotely close:

My personal faves are Belarus, Hungary, Italy, France, Iceland. UK indeed has its best song in years, and my own country is destined to finish last three years in a row sadly.

Background and lyrics for O.K. here:

http://wiwibloggs.com/2017/02/15/occidentalis-karma-lyrics/174193/

Meanwhile, will Brexit affect the UK's chances?

I think the UK could be in with a chance this year, but that will depend on the order of the songs in the final as there are a lot of slow ballads this year. we are sending a singer who can match the best performance from anywhere else.

As for the bookies its early days, and I have noticed the bookies have a habit of over rating the usual suspects at the beginning.

30 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

As am American, I don't really understand the Eurovision contest. So I listened to a bunch of the songs. Is the point to try and sound like generic crap? Or have I just become a cranky old man who doesn't understand kids today and their music. 

I doubt that many kids today would recognise the average Eurovision song as "their music"- although the situation is slightly complicated because the songs can often have political or parodic elements.

I only know actually one American who has ever succeeded "getting" ESC.

Most songs are generic and/or crap indeed, and until a few years ago, hardly any of them would be heard outside the ESC bubble (except for ESC-manic countries like Sweden or Iceland). Though in recent years, some songs became hits in Europe, even when not winning.

It's a love/hate story, but in good years, it is a very entertaining show, also depending on production, not just songs. This year I fear will not be particularly stellar.

One of the reasons the Uk has been doing so badly is because the standard of performance has been so breathtakingly high.

Bonnie Tyler said it was terrifying watching the rehearsals because the standard of singing was so incredible.

ABBA came out of eurovision, winning Eurovision used to guarantee the winner a UK no1 hit.

This year I feel isn't a vintage  year a bit more banality than usual on first listen.  (NB  Nearly half the songs will be gone by the final!!!)
But the eccentricity and diversity is still there and more so than your average pop chart

I feel eccentric is the work with Eurovision.

For anyone who half-cares...Ukraine has banned the Russian singer from entering because she - by Ukrainian law - illegally entered Crimea to give a concert in 2015.

European Broadcasting Union offered Russia to have a performance via satellite link (first time in 62 years of the contest!), but Russia refused this offer.

Now there will most likely be no Russian entry - they can play the victim card, even though I assume that they fully knew their singer broke Ukrainian law when they nominated her.

Quite a drama, even by Eurovision standards.

I agree with what the   European Broadcasting Union said

"we are deeply disappointed in this decision as we feel it goes against both the spirit of the contest and the notion of inclusivity that lies at the heart of its values," it said in a statement.

The EBU said it would "continue a dialogue with the Ukrainian authorities with the aim of ensuring that all artists can perform" in Kiev."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel its not the job of the host nation to try to prevent any countrys from entering.!!!!

Not all Russians were banned. Russia nominated a singer who broke Ukrainian law. There are 150 million or so people in Russia, surely they could have found a singer who hadn't been on Crimea after it was occupied.

Just like with the IOC and the doping scandal, Russia is playing victim here while continuously bullying and provoking others.

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU), a group of public media outlets that produces Eurovision, is demanding that Kiev let Samoilova perform.

Otherwise, it says, Ukraine faces the threat of exclusion from future contests.

I agree with this. The Host Nation should host the contest with the spirit of none political  inclusion the contest was created for.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but looks like Ukraine didn't cared and kept going with it. EBU had to make it official today.

https://eurovision.tv/story/russia-unable-to-participate-2017-ebu-statement

I knew the ESC has been getting politicized on the last years but this is truly the climax of it. Absolutely sad. They will think it twice before awarding Ukraine with the ESC again.

• 2 weeks later...

guess who dropped a trashy europop single today? oh, yeah. that's right. you are never going to hear the end of this girl.

love the part where laura teaches us our vowel sounds. can't wait for the music vid where she slides around an empty warehouse in spice girl sneakers and glitter pants and makes all her ethnic dancers wear only white. <3

• 2 weeks later...