[Insert your city's name here] 2022 Commonwealth Games

Alexjc

A new venue where?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who can step up urgently...Your suggestions? (at least until Mondayafternoon GMT)

• Liverpool
    • London
    • Gold Coast (Double hosting)
    • Australia other
    • Canada
    • New Zealand
    • Singapore
    • UK other
  2. 2. Should South Africa be suspended from next year's Commonwealth Games as punishment?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should Durban be allowed to "Pass" and host 2026?

• Yes
    • No

Somewhere outside of Australia or the UK would be ideal, but I don't see many options or hear much enthusiasm. C'mon Canada, step up to the plate!

London could pull it off with few problems (though I do wonder what the "capacity" of the Olympic Park is without the giant concourses). Politically that could go down like a lead balloon here if it's seen to scupper Liverpool or Birmingham's ambitions for 2026. I think it'd be a rush for either of those cities to be ready as stand-ins for Durban.

A repeat of a recent host seems possible. Gold Coast back to back, but would they really want that, and would we? Could Melbourne be a goer - like London it would seem to be an easy fit? Glasgow might like it again but I'm completely unsure what would need building/reconfiguring for that to happen, maybe @Scotguy can say.

On balance, as much as I'd love London to do it, I'd veer towards Melbourne again. A 16 year gap is big enough, then give Liverpool or Birmingham a chance at 2026.

No, SA shouldn't be suspended. It's not the athletes that have caused this debacle.

And no, they shouldn't get a pass for hosting 2026, why trust them again with no guarantees? Let them bid if they want to, but no pass.

Edited by Rob.

11 hours ago, Rob. said:

A repeat of a recent host seems possible. Gold Coast back to back, but would they really want that, and would we? Could Melbourne be a goer - like London it would seem to be an easy fit? Glasgow might like it again but I'm completely unsure what would need building/reconfiguring for that to happen, maybe @Scotguy can say.

But would it be a strain on the Scottish/Glasgow taxpayers?... also it would be the second time Scotland has pulled the CWGs out from the you know what.

Logic dictates London as the fall back city. Remember we are not hosting in Olympic sized event and scattering venues into greater England wont matter.

The only other alternative is to leave them in Australia...

1 hour ago, LatinXTC said:

Toronto could be a nice alternative, although their athletics stadium definitely is not up to Commomwealth Games capacity. The CGF would have to make due though.

Every venue exists, the track and field venue could seat maybe max 20k with temporary seating... (about 20k short).

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Every venue exists, the track and field venue could seat maybe max 20k with temporary seating... (about 20k short).

Considering the CGF have no choice to dictate terms in their favour...Shouldn't matter. Oh and a Victoria '94 type set up is all that's needed.

On 11/03/2017 at 11:03 AM, Rob. said:

Glasgow might like it again but I'm completely unsure what would need building/reconfiguring for that to happen

Biggest jobs are probably the stadium (has to be Hampden, and has to involve a raised floor, putting it out of fitba use for quite a while) and the accommodation- the athletes' village being now, of course, in its permanent use. There may well be enough university accommodation in Glasgow, except that it may already be booked for conferences etc.

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

(about 20k short).

Isn't that the exact problem? I'm not old enough to remember Christchurch or Victoria, but from reading about the history, it seems like they're both very fondly remembered, despite being smaller-scale cities & games. Perhaps the best thing CGF could do is to take a few steps backwards. 

1 hour ago, yoshi said:

Isn't that the exact problem? I'm not old enough to remember Christchurch or Victoria, but from reading about the history, it seems like they're both very fondly remembered, despite being smaller-scale cities & games. Perhaps the best thing CGF could do is to take a few steps backwards. 

Victoria's stadium with temp. seating had 35k. Toronto had 12.5k for the Pan Ams (with temp. seating), and there is no room at the stadium to add a considerable amount of seating.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/Athleticsto2015.jpg

It's worth noting that track and field meets top out at around 20,000 for attendance. Even if Toronto really wanted a track stadium for national Olympic qualifiers and perhaps one segment of the world tour for track and field (the Diamond League) then it would only need a 15,000 seat stadium.

I attended one away game for the Vancouver Whitecaps at a temporary stadium when BC Place was being renovated before the 2012 winter games. It was not particularly nice, but it worked alright and I think a 20,000 seat temporary stadium ought to be permitted for a two week event.

Edited by Nacre

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

Meeting was apparently Saturday morning but still no official word about anything.

They will give press release on Monday afternoon local time to confirm that Durban will not host CG2022.

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/more-sport/commonwealth-games-not-coming-to-durban-8169843

:( 

BOOM!!!

Now we really DO need a new host for 2022.

Interesting to see no one in the above Poll has ticked Liverpool, yet they have already raised their hand as a stand in host.

Sad to make the decision on the day The Queen sent the 2018 CWGs Baton out on it's pointlessly long journey to Gold Coast.

1 hour ago, Alexjc said:

:( 

BOOM!!!

Now we really DO need a new host for 2022.

Interesting to see no one in the above Poll has ticked Liverpool, yet they have already raised their hand as a stand in host.

Best of luck with that, given that their 2026 plan tentatively involved the creation of a big new stadium for Everton F.C. Their current stadium, like Liverpool F.C's, is rectangular, optimised for football. To the best of my knowledge, the only place with space for a track and seating capacity over 500 at the moment is Aintree Racecourse.

Liverpool shouting the loudest but practically that's a tough ask - can't see either Everton or Liverpool providing the stadium (or getting one built in less than 5 years) and they'd have to build the pool too.  I agree cycling would end up in Manchester.

Birmingham isn't in much better a position either - practically speaking London is the obvious choice for London but it does seem that despite all the talk of "legacy" there was little thought put into hosting future multi-sport events when planning the Olympic park post-2012.   Of all the UK cities Glasgow would be best positioned for a quick return, but I don't think there is any desire for them to do so.

I'd love it to go to Singapore but they've shown little interest in hosting them.  Kuala Lumper might be an option too but not sure they've hosted any multi-sport event since the 1998 games.   As things stand even Delhi looks attractive.

2 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Is Zamunda eligible, are they in the Commonwealth?

I'm sure King Akheem (probably king by now - and yes there is a sequel in the works) could front up the bill...