Jump to content

Beijing 2022


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ulu said:

How does a country even qualify that many athletes for the WOGs?

They have long been a huge winter sports nation and always have a large WOG team.   Each will be tested for substances and COVID as usual and those who clear that and who have met the international winter sporting federations qualification standards, and who are then selected by the Russian Olympic Committee, will get to go to Beijing subject to meeting COVID vaccination requirements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

They have long been a huge winter sports nation and always have a large WOG team.   Each will be tested for substances and COVID as usual and those who clear that and who have met the international winter sporting federations qualification standards, and who are then selected by the Russian Olympic Committee, will get to go to Beijing subject to meeting COVID vaccination requirements.

It's more than double the size of their Sochi team. Surely that can't be right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

 

8 hours ago, ulu said:

How does a country even qualify that many athletes for the WOGs?

 

3 hours ago, ulu said:

It's more than double the size of their Sochi team. Surely that can't be right?

This is the roster of the athletes eligible/nominated by the different sports federations. If you're not on this list then you can't be selected for the Russian Olympic Team, no matter how well you do at their final selection events/national championships later this fall/winter.

There are 63 figure skaters on the list but only 18 will be competing in Beijing (3 Men, 3 Women, 3 Pairs Teams & 3 Ice Dance Teams).  There's been some chatter about the figure skaters on the list today on some of the message boards - it looks like the RFSF essentially just put forward the names of all of the skaters currently on the National Team (with a couple of notable exceptions) plus some junior skaters/teams who skated senior domestically last season but are skating junior internationally this season.  

I assume the same applies for all of the other sports on the roster - at least 50% of those won't be competing in Beijing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Karenina said:

 

 

This is the roster of the athletes eligible/nominated by the different sports federations. If you're not on this list then you can't be selected for the Russian Olympic Team, no matter how well you do at their final selection events/national championships later this fall/winter.

There are 63 figure skaters on the list but only 18 will be competing in Beijing (3 Men, 3 Women, 3 Pairs Teams & 3 Ice Dance Teams).  There's been some chatter about the figure skaters on the list today on some of the message boards - it looks like the RFSF essentially just put forward the names of all of the skaters currently on the National Team (with a couple of notable exceptions) plus some junior skaters/teams who skated senior domestically last season but are skating junior internationally this season.  

I assume the same applies for all of the other sports on the roster - at least 50% of those won't be competing in Beijing.

Thanks for the explanation. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those medals look way too uninspired and boring. I expected more from chinese designers but it seems all the talent graphic design wise was dragged to the Hangzhou Asian Games, which had much better designs. The Look is not even that good either and feels random at best a farcry from the Luck Clouds of 2008 which were one of my favorite brands.

614036e29c654c15bbfa62081612f350.png

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

No one posted the medal design just announced...

 

https://olympics.com/en/news/olympic-winter-games-beijing-2022-medal-designs-unveiled

 

Nice enough I suppose...... 

Guess it break the tradition of winter olympics having more original medals than summer editions, I still think beijing 2008 and sochi 2014 have the best medals for an olympics, combining materials is such an unique ad to the design. Still think rio 2016 and tokyo 2020 had the most simple medal design

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

The Tokyo medals were the most disappointing ever for me....a few ugly medal swirls that mean nothing and the logo....Japan is a world centre for design, what on Earth happened?

Unpopular opinion: london 2012 games identity was the most stunning one of the XXIst century, i just think how brilliant those stripes patterns looked on the stadiums, medals, even the typing, and the royal purple made of london one of the classiest games ever. Also I believe tokyo 2020 identity was a good one, because it tried to resemble the 1964 identity, but failed well because only the red stadiums looke fine, the rest looked kinda simple. Just hoping that paris don't put  the marianne logo on their medals and instead put some of that french class design with some 1920's art deco inspiration on their medals and identity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

The Tokyo medals were the most disappointing ever for me....a few ugly medal swirls that mean nothing and the logo....Japan is a world centre for design, what on Earth happened?

Stagnation. The population is too old and most of them still hold the positions of power and don't seem to like innovation/breaking the mold. I'm a big fan of Japan design wise but they've been falling behind their neighbour a bit over the last decade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2021 at 10:52 PM, Karenina said:


There are 63 figure skaters on the list but only 18 will be competing in Beijing (3 Men, 3 Women, 3 Pairs Teams & 3 Ice Dance Teams).  

Yes, only 18 ACTUAL competitors.  But the lists include ALTERNATES who may come in due to injury or if athletes test positive early and therefore are quarantined.  I think the "alternates" can be called in to compete--if they are also negative.  The thing is the USSR is strong in ALL the sports -- unlike say, Norway, which is strong in a lot of the X-country events, but not in Figure Skating.  Of course, Communist-Genocidal China, as host, will have entrants in every sport.  Then, of course, the USA will be #3 in terms of team size -- followed by Canada, Germany, Japan, Norway and Ukraine.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...