Beijing 2022

22 hours ago, cfm Jeremie said:

As part of the New Norm, the IOC (through Olympic Channel) is delivering the Games-time website for every edition of the Games. First time was in Tokyo.

New Norm = worse experience for for the public. I guess that's the least we can expect for a corrupt organization like these guys I guess. 

22 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Makes sense and saves the Host City from this cost.

It doesn't make sense though, in modern times the Olympic games are not a mass in-person event. Why not save costs by not plastering every surface with branded banners and printed plastic sheeting (that will just be thrown out) and instead make a globally accessible good web presence and experience. It just shows the backward and stupid nature of the IOC. Save money by making it harder for the public to follow but keep spending on making sure that every IOC board member is put up in at least a 4-star hotel for months. I feel the IOC is very accessible and in touch with the public! 

8 hours ago, GoNutz said:

New Norm = worse experience for for the public. I guess that's the least we can expect for a corrupt organization like these guys I guess. 

It doesn't make sense though, in modern times the Olympic games are not a mass in-person event. Why not save costs by not plastering every surface with branded banners and printed plastic sheeting (that will just be thrown out) and instead make a globally accessible good web presence and experience. It just shows the backward and stupid nature of the IOC. Save money by making it harder for the public to follow but keep spending on making sure that every IOC board member is put up in at least a 4-star hotel for months. I feel the IOC is very accessible and in touch with the public! 

In fairness a lot of these materials / Games livery has been planned for years and the dressing of venues began months ago before the spectator reductions (Omicron). They're also a necessary part of the TV experience. 

• Like 1

India becomes the latest country to join Beijing 2022 diplomatic boycott. Indian diplomats will not attend opening and closing ceremonies, while Indian national broadcaster Doordarshan will not broadcast the OC and CC live on TV. Previously, news broke out that a Chinese soldier involved in a clash with Indian troops in disputed zone was made one of the games' torch-bearer. 

Source: The Hindu

Indian diplomats to boycott Beijing Winter Olympics220203190734-qi-fabao-torch-0202-exlarge

Terming China’s decision to field a People’s Liberation Army soldier involved in the June 2020 Galwan clashes as the torchbearer for the Winter Olympics Games in Beijing as “regrettable”, India announced a diplomatic boycott of the games just ahead of the opening ceremony on Friday. State broadcaster Doordarshan also announced it will not telecast the opening and closing ceremonies live, where India has one athlete, skier Arif Khan, participating.

The decision came after Chinese media reports identified Qi Fabao, a PLA regiment commander who received military honours for the Galwan clashes, where he was injured, as one of about 1,200 runners bearing the torch at a relay in Beijing.

China’s decision to field him and New Delhi’s announcement of its first ever political boycott of Olympic games, are likely to increase India-China tensions that have risen since PLA aggressions along the Line of Actual Control began in April 2020.

India had earlier expressed support for the Beijing Olympics, even as more than a dozen countries, led by the United States, had announced a boycott of the games.

“It is indeed regrettable that the Chinese side has chosen to politicise an event like Olympic,” said MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi, referring to the media reports. “The Charge d’Affaires of the Embassy of India in Beijing will not be attending the opening or closing ceremony of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics,” he added.

The Indian Ambassador to China, Pradeep Kumar Rawat, whose appointment was announced in December, is expected to take charge in the next few weeks, and hence the Charge d’Affaires Acquino Vimal is the top diplomat in Beijing at present. Mr. Vimal and other officials had been expected to attend the ceremonial functions at the games, although the MEA had said no political or high level representation would be sent from Delhi.

Prasar Bharti chief Shashi Shekhar Vempati also tweeted that “consequent to the announcement by the MEA”, Doordarshan’s sports channel would not telecast the Olympic ceremonies, as planned earlier.

The Chinese decision to publicly honour the military commander for involvement in the deadly clashes in the Galwan valley, where 20 Indian soldiers, and at least four Chinese soldiers (far higher according to media reports) were killed, is seen as a deliberate insult to New Delhi, which came despite the fact that the Modi government had decided not to join western boycott calls over human rights concerns.

16 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

In fairness a lot of these materials / Games livery has been planned for years and the dressing of venues began months ago before the spectator reductions (Omicron). They're also a necessary part of the TV experience. 

Yeah I can understand that, and even I would agree that some branding is essential to a good video experience. But I also will never pass up an opportunity to trash the committee. 

Xi and Putin used the eve of the Olympics to send this out to members of AUKUS...

Australia’s nuclear submarine treaty is criticised as Putin and Xi release joint statement saying there are “no forbidden areas of cooperation” between them.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia/russia-china-condemn-aukus-affirm-no-limits-to-their-partnership-20220205-p59u11.html

So day 3 seems to be the Women’s Backrowing event in which Peng Shuai wins all three medals following successful coaching by Chinese officials and under the eyes of excited spectators Thomas Bach and Kirsti Coventry.

https://twitter.com/matthewcpinsent/status/1490524300897521664?s=21

Who believes all this BS really? It is more absolutely shameful behaviour by the IOC. 

• Like 1

This was inevitable. Athletes producing positive tests and being isolated in less than ideal quarantine conditions (a Belgian athlete was actually sent to a quarantine camp rather than a designated hotel). Did anyone really not see this coming? There were warning signs shortly after Tokyo that despite the predictions of Tokyo not becoming a superspreader event, that with China's zero-covid policy, the protocols put in place by Tokyo would not be acceptable. About the only concession the IOC was able to get was avoidance of the three-week quarantine for vaccinated athletes. Had omicron appeared earlier, I imagine the quarantine would've been mandatory for all arrivals, vaccinated or not. When it became apparent, that Omicron was more transmissible, the IOC begged China to change it's testing requirements for entry arguing that some athletes would miss the Olympics as a result. China didn't budge. Now with cases appearing inside the bubble, the IOC wants further changes to which China appears not likely to bend to. Heck, the Russian and Canadian women's hockey teams were forced to play with masks because of delays in test results.

The reality is there is nothing the IOC or anyone else can do. China is free to determine its health protocols and make any changes they see fit and they know it.

Organisers pledge improvements in handling COVID-19 cases but too late for some (insidethegames.biz)

Beijing 2022 slammed over "unacceptable" quarantine conditions for Frenzel (insidethegames.biz)

4 hours ago, stryker said:

The reality is there is nothing the IOC or anyone else can do. China is free to determine its health protocols and make any changes they see fit and they know it.

Organisers pledge improvements in handling COVID-19 cases but too late for some (insidethegames.biz)

Beijing 2022 slammed over "unacceptable" quarantine conditions for Frenzel (insidethegames.biz)

The IOC gladly accepted to be fully in China‘s hands. Athletes should actually become far more active in demanding fair treatment (also compensation!) when it comes to any Olympics. Bach and co reap the benefits of the athletes‘ commitment, without paying anything back - in both literal and metaphorical sense.

3 minutes ago, Scotguy II said:

Is anyone buying anything from the official shop? the mascots look cute, i may get a plushy

I really can only shake my head in disbelief.

What else needs to happen for people to get a reality check and stop glorifying Olympics organised by a totalitarian dictatorship and a corrupt organisation?

29 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

I really can only shake my head in disbelief.

What else needs to happen for people to get a reality check and stop glorifying Olympics organised by a totalitarian dictatorship and a corrupt organisation?

I mean the mascot looks cute tho

Also I mean, when comparing sochi and beijing to rio and tokyo we get a far different level in hosting, maybe that's a why totalitarian olympics are more glorified. It may be a false sense of warmth from hosts but maybe a whole newly built city (sochi) or cute mascots and impressive ceremonies (beijing) is more atractive to spectators than green swimming pools (rio) or somber ceremonies (tokyo). At least from my POV totalitarian olympics try so hard to show a "perfect" country to the world that leaves a good impression on spectators, compared with recent democratic olympics, in which trying to please locals left aside some important aspects about hosting the event.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

I mean the mascot looks cute tho

Also I mean, when comparing sochi and beijing to rio and tokyo we get a far different level in hosting, maybe that's a why totalitarian olympics are more glorified. It may be a false sense of warmth from hosts but maybe a whole newly built city (sochi) or cute mascots and impressive ceremonies (beijing) is more atractive to spectators than green swimming pools (rio) or somber ceremonies (tokyo). At least from my POV totalitarian olympics try so hard to show a "perfect" country to the world that leaves a good impression on spectators, compared with recent democratic olympics, in which trying to please locals left aside some important aspects about hosting the event.

What else can one say…

51869602409_0f3b59c9c2_c.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

trying to answer the question of why general public, not interested in politics at all prefer uncontiously autoritarian olympics, than recent democratic olympics

Got proof of that?

41 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

from my POV totalitarian olympics try so hard to show a "perfect" country to the world that leaves a good impression on spectators, compared with recent democratic olympics, in which trying to please locals left aside some important aspects about hosting the event.

I dunno, Beijing’s looking pretty second rate to me.