Jump to content

Beijing 2022


Recommended Posts

Less than three weeks before the Olympics a lockdown? Get the popcorn…I‘d love to be a fly at the wall in Lausanne now.

 

Also, sure that‘s retaliation. The Chinese government is known to be very petty with such things,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Retaliation without doubt. Look what's happening in Lithuania right now just because they decided to allow Taiwanese diplomatic offices to open up.

Pyeongchang and koreans must be feeling very relieved now. Of all the asian olympics we had ever since 2018, they were the only ones who dodged this huge royal mess. Hopefully by Paris this whole drama is finally over, but I don't think the Olympics are gonna be the same after it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PyeongChang 2018 had a virus incident of another kind in it's servers, at the opening ceremony, that had the potential to derail the entire event. Unfortunately, it's not just pandemics that could disrupt the entire organization of an Olympic Games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Retaliation without doubt. Look what's happening in Lithuania right now just because they decided to allow Taiwanese diplomatic offices to open up.

Pyeongchang and koreans must be feeling very relieved now. Of all the asian olympics we had ever since 2018, they were the only ones who dodged this huge royal mess. Hopefully by Paris this whole drama is finally over, but I don't think the Olympics are gonna be the same after it.

It'll take time, but I think they'll be able to recover to some sort of respectable level.  Paris, Milan-Cortina, and then Los Angeles should help the cause.  After we get past Beijing, it'll be the first time in a long time that there hasn't been a somewhat questionable host on the calendar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Retaliation without doubt. Look what's happening in Lithuania right now just because they decided to allow Taiwanese diplomatic offices to open up.

Pyeongchang and koreans must be feeling very relieved now. Of all the asian olympics we had ever since 2018, they were the only ones who dodged this huge royal mess. Hopefully by Paris this whole drama is finally over, but I don't think the Olympics are gonna be the same after it.

Still keep thinking that (if they want), china and japan should be awarded another games for compensating the loses of the pandemic ones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Still keep thinking that (if they want), china and japan should be awarded another games for compensating the loses of the pandemic ones

1 hour ago, munichfan said:

2032 might have been a better suit for Tokyo than 2021.

As for 2022, they will open a bottle of champagne in Lausanne once this mess is over.

The last thing Tokyo needed (or wanted) was another Olympics 11 years down the road and trying to maintain all of their facilities until then and to factor in the cost of inflation.  That was never going to be the solution.

Japan should be handed a Winter Olympics in Sapporo on a silver platter if they want it (obviously that's a pretty big if).  China, not so much.  And yes, I'm sure there's a lot of sentiment within the IOC to get past all of this and start looking ahead to Paris 2024

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

91 countries will participate at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. Saudi Arabia will be placed 39th at the parade of nations for the Olympic Winter Games debut. While Haiti will march 67th in the Winter Games debut.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

It'll take time, but I think they'll be able to recover to some sort of respectable level.  Paris, Milan-Cortina, and then Los Angeles should help the cause.  After we get past Beijing, it'll be the first time in a long time that there hasn't been a somewhat questionable host on the calendar.

indeed! sochi-beijing! and it’s all been under bach’s watch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Still keep thinking that (if they want), china and japan should be awarded another games for compensating the loses of the pandemic ones

After the Tokyo debacle, I honestly think it will be into the 2050s before Japan hosts again. Public support for Sapporo is fading. Now that can change if the IOC wants to pick up 100% of the tab for another Japanese Olympics and we know that's not happening.

China - the IOC will be back it's just a matter of time. My guess is China will be a serious threat for the 2040 SOGs especially if 2036 goes to Europe.

Speaking of China and covid, the first omicron patient in Beijing has been said to have visited a mall and a restaurant while infected so it's likely it's already widespread in Beijing. The question becomes what China does. This close to the Olympics, Beijing can pretty much do what it wants despite pleas from the IOC. What's to stop China if the bubble gets pierced from locking down entire sections of the Olympic Village?

The IOC is also practically begging Chins to alter its entry requirements for athletes who contract but recover from covid in the weeks leading up to the Olympics. Currently, China requires two negative PCR tests within a 24 hour period that officials will review at least 8 days prior to departure. If granted approval, the athlete then has to have two more negative PCR tests on separate days within 96 hours of departure. Given that positive tests can be commonplace after recovery, under the current rules some athletes are likely to be denied entry into China. The IOC wants China to lessen the number of negative tests but so far Beijing isn't budging.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1117755/ioc-covid-travel-protocols-beijing-2022

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stryker said:

After the Tokyo debacle, I honestly think it will be into the 2050s before Japan hosts again. Public support for Sapporo is fading. Now that can change if the IOC wants to pick up 100% of the tab for another Japanese Olympics and we know that's not happening.

China - the IOC will be back it's just a matter of time. My guess is China will be a serious threat for the 2040 SOGs especially if 2036 goes to Europe.

Speaking of China and covid, the first omicron patient in Beijing has been said to have visited a mall and a restaurant while infected so it's likely it's already widespread in Beijing. The question becomes what China does. This close to the Olympics, Beijing can pretty much do what it wants despite pleas from the IOC. What's to stop China if the bubble gets pierced from locking down entire sections of the Olympic Village?

The IOC is also practically begging Chins to alter its entry requirements for athletes who contract but recover from covid in the weeks leading up to the Olympics. Currently, China requires two negative PCR tests within a 24 hour period that officials will review at least 8 days prior to departure. If granted approval, the athlete then has to have two more negative PCR tests on separate days within 96 hours of departure. Given that positive tests can be commonplace after recovery, under the current rules some athletes are likely to be denied entry into China. The IOC wants China to lessen the number of negative tests but so far Beijing isn't budging.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1117755/ioc-covid-travel-protocols-beijing-2022

if 2020 was a success or not, japan wouldn't have wanted the olympics (the summer ones) for at least another 40 years, the winter ones i believe will come either in sapporo in 2030 or in any other part of japan with tokyo in 2034 (they DO can reuse the 2020 venues into winter ones just as beijing), but I believe that will depend on the sportive success of japanese team in beijing and of course the success of expo 2025 and asian games 2026. On the other hand, china will surely go after the 2040 summer olympics if 2036 goes to europe, but as shakira once said  ITS TIME FOR AFRICA getting almost 20 years into the future, some african cities will probably be more prepared for the olympics, like johannesburg, new egiptian capital or even a morrocan bid, but still 2040 is way too far into the future

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chris_Mex said:

if 2020 was a success or not, japan wouldn't have wanted the olympics (the summer ones) for at least another 40 years, the winter ones i believe will come either in sapporo in 2030 or in any other part of japan with tokyo in 2034 (they DO can reuse the 2020 venues into winter ones just as beijing), but I believe that will depend on the sportive success of japanese team in beijing and of course the success of expo 2025 and asian games 2026. On the other hand, china will surely go after the 2040 summer olympics if 2036 goes to europe, but as shakira once said  ITS TIME FOR AFRICA getting almost 20 years into the future, some african cities will probably be more prepared for the olympics, like johannesburg, new egiptian capital or even a morrocan bid, but still 2040 is way too far into the future

I still think Morocco could host the 2036 or 2040 Olympic and Paralympic Games as the second IOC event in Africa after the 2026 Summer Youth Olympic Games in Dakar, Senegal.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

China has announced that there will be no general public spectator ticketing for the Games.    Instead, they (presumably their Olympic Committee and company sponsors) will distribute limited tickets--likely to employees and affiliated groups.     This is what I expected, particularly when by end of Nov/early Dec, there was no public ticketing plan in motion.   So, it seems that 2022 Games will be a largely television event, even in Beijing.   It promises to be a weird atmosphere and even less welcoming than in 2008.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, SportLightning said:

I still think Morocco could host the 2036 or 2040 Olympic and Paralympic Games as the second IOC event in Africa after the 2026 Summer Youth Olympic Games in Dakar, Senegal.

Morocco/Egypt, & most of Africa quite frankly, are all pipe dreams at this point, unfortunately. And even when the time comes that the IOC can make the trip to Africa, the only country on the continent that can be the most equipped is South Africa.

That said, it’s still gonna be a long, long while ‘til the IOC makes that leap of faith to make that tumultuous journey. I “predict” (as you like to say), that 2036 will go to Europe (most notably Russia, or maybe Turkey a distant second), & 2040 will either go to somewhere in Asia or North America (maybe Canada by that point). 

But anyway, since this thread is about Beijing 2022, let the (Chinese winter) Games begin! ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jiejie said:

China has announced that there will be no general public spectator ticketing for the Games.    Instead, they (presumably their Olympic Committee and company sponsors) will distribute limited tickets--likely to employees and affiliated groups.     This is what I expected, particularly when by end of Nov/early Dec, there was no public ticketing plan in motion.   So, it seems that 2022 Games will be a largely television event, even in Beijing.   It promises to be a weird atmosphere and even less welcoming than in 2008.

Quote

China will no longer sell tickets to the Beijing Winter Olympics due to COVID-19

No tickets will be sold for the upcoming winter Olympic and Paralympic Games in Beijing due to the "grave and complicated situation of the COVID-19 pandemic."

Instead, organizers announced Monday that they would invite groups of spectators to attend the games in person.

"The organisers expect that these spectators will strictly abide by the COVID-19 countermeasures before, during and after each event as pre-conditions for the safe and sound delivery of the Games," the Beijing 2022 organizing committee said in a statement.

The International Olympic Committee previously said they would sell tickets only to spectators living in mainland China who met certain COVID-19 safety requirements.

Fans weren't allowed in the stands during the summer Olympics in Tokyo last year.

The winter games won't require athletes to be vaccinated against COVID-19, but those who are unvaccinated will have to quarantine for 21 days when they arrive in Beijing. The IOC also implemented other policies to prevent the spread of COVID during the competition, such as a "closed-loop" system that limits participants to certain Olympics-related areas and other permitted locations and isolates them from China's general public.

The winter Olympic Games will take place from Feb. 4-20, and the winter Paralympic Games will occur from March 4-13.

China has been working to quell a series of COVID outbreaks in the weeks before the games, recently putting more than 20 million people across the country in some form of lockdown, the Associated Press reported. Last week Beijing reported its first locally transmitted case of the omicron variant, according to media reports.

Date:2022/1/17

Link:https://www.npr.org/2022/01/17/1073597684/beijing-olympics-tickets

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're wondering what it will be like inside Beijing's closed loop, it makes Tokyo seem like a holiday party. 

COVID tests and police escorts: What it’s like in Beijing Olympics’ ‘closed loop’ - National | Globalnews.ca

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/on-the-news/beijing-winter-olympics-chinas-extreme-covid-19-rules-to-stop-omicron/403AF204-16CC-49BB-A1AB-13507DC02D0D

China has even gone as far as to say if there are any traffic accidents involving Olympic vehicles that local residents are to offer no assistance whatsoever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

0

The Yanqing Awards Plaza was unveiled yesterday

Only being used for the Paralympics, it will co-host the Paralympic medal ceremonies with the plaza at Zhangjiakou.

the stages of the three major awards squares of the beijing winter olympics were all unveiled (beijing2022.cn

Based on the article, it seems like the plaza at Olympic Green is only in place for the Olympics and won't be used for the Paras

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Karenina said:

This has the potential to get really ugly, really fast, if the IOC can't get the Beijing organizers to back down...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/beijing-olympic-committee-testing-threshold-covid-19-1.6318270

I don't think Beijing will back down, and the IOC has no aces up its sleeve at this point.   IMO, it's inevitable that some athletes who have more recently acquired COVID infections, will either continue to have a positive PCR at the time they are supposed to depart for Beijing....or they will fail the PCR screening upon arrival.

Think about this--it well suits the Chinese to have as many foreign athletes as possible get bounced.   While the affected countries might kick and scream, there really aren't any meaningful repercussions to the Chinese Olympic Committee nor the government, in foreign relations terms.  But there are a lot of domestic points to be scored by refusing entry/participation to infected foreign athletes/coaches/delegation members/etc.   

I do think there is one foreign federation whose athletes will be safe from potential banishment, and will either get exempted from rigorous PCR testing or will have positive tests "disappear" before official recording.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Beijing 2022 official warns against violations of ‘Olympic spirit’

Behavior by athletes that violates the Olympic spirit or Chinese rules could be subject to punishment, a Beijing 2022 official said, after rights groups voiced concern about the safety of competitors if they protest at next month’s Games.

Rule 50 of the Olympic Charter states that “no kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites”, although it was relaxed last year to allow for gestures on the field if they are made without disruption and with respect for competitors.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has made it clear that athletes are free to express their opinions on any matter in press conferences and interviews within the Olympic bubble, as long as it is not during competition or medal ceremonies.

Yang Shu, deputy director general of Beijing 2022’s International Relations Department, was asked during a virtual briefing on Wednesday about concerns for athletes if they speak out about rights issues during the Winter Games, which begin on Feb. 4.

“Any expression that is in line with the Olympic spirit I’m sure will be protected and anything and any behaviour or speeches that is against the Olympic spirit, especially against Chinese laws and regulations, are also subject to certain punishment,” Yang said.

Cancellation of accreditation is a potential punishment in line with guidelines in the Organizers’ playbook, he said during the event hosted by China’s embassy in Washington. However, the playbook mainly addresses COVID-19 prevention measures and does not address issues such as speech or protest.

In past Olympics, any breach of the Olympic charter by athletes was handled solely by the IOC.

Yang’s comments came after athletes travelling to the Beijing Olympics were warned on Tuesday by speakers at a seminar hosted by Human Rights Watch about speaking up on human rights issues while in China, for their own safety.

Rights groups have long criticized the IOC for awarding the Games to China, citing its treatment of Uyghurs and other Muslim minority groups, which the United States has deemed genocide. China denies allegations of human rights abuses.

On Tuesday, the IOC said in an emailed response to a request for comment from Reuters that it “recognizes and upholds human rights as enshrined in both the Fundamental Principles of the Olympic Charter and in its Code of Ethics” at all times.

Several countries including the United States, Britain, Japan and Australia have announced diplomatic boycotts of the Games over concerns about human rights in China.

Date:2022/1/19/

News source:The Asahi Shimbun

Link to this article:https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14525621

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Beijing 2022 says no foreign athletes have tested positive yet for Covid-19 after arrival

No foreign athletes who have arrived in Beijing for the Winter Olympic Games have tested positive for Covid-19 as of Wednesday, according to Beijing 2022's media team.

"If any athlete tests positive for COVID-19, he/she will be reported and managed according to relevant requirements," the media team told CNN on Saturday.
The media team did not say whether any other Olympic personnel outside of athletes had tested positive. CNN has followed up requesting this information but has not yet heard back.
As of Friday, more than 2,000 participants have arrived in Beijing, including athletes, officials, members of the IOC and media, according to the official app for the Beijing Winter Games.
To limit the spread of infection, Beijing is sealing the entire Games inside what authorities have called a "closed loop system" -- a bubble completely cut off from the rest of the city. Thousands of Chinese volunteers and staff have already spent days, if not weeks, inside the closed loop.

The trial run of the closed-loop system started on January 4, according to Beijing 2022. The Olympic Games are set to officially begin on Feb 4.
Meanwhile, the capital city reported 12 new Covid-19 cases on Friday, the highest since the current outbreak broke out in Beijing on January 15.

Date;2022/1/22

News source:CNN

Link to this article:https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/22/sport/beijing-2022-foreign-athletes-covid-19-spt-intl/index.html

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...