Beijing 2022

On 3/8/2022 at 5:37 PM, munichfan said:

Nah, I'm sure, if he cared about the Paralympics so much, he would have asked Putin to wait with his invasion until the Paralympics are over (and not just the Olmympics, as he presumably did).

If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

The Paralympics, which weren't on the IOC's radar until too many decades ago, is in the shadows of its bigger brother, the Olympics.

With even the main winter games being symbolically sidelined this year - and Covid doing the same thing to the games in Tokyo last year - there aren't too many people standing around in the forest.

• 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Well it might not seem like it but these guys lucked out with the timing of the Olympics.  COVID in China is ratcheting up right now, and mass lockdowns are occurring in Shanghai and other Chinese cities. 

So COVID wasn't a probably during the Olympics but suddenly becomes a big issue shortly after.  Gee, nothing at all suspicious about that...

200.gif

I watched a video of what has been going on in Shanghai recently, the most important big or so-called prestige city in China.

Damn, brutal.

The regime in Beijing is why I admit to being surprised when the 2022 winter games' ceremonies (at least parts of them) - although obviously the work of a somewhat independent producer - had more Olympic-type humanity than I originally assumed they would.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:56 PM, Chris_Mex said:

Yeah it isn't like at the beggining of it all, ALL of the western world literally took on the exactly same strict lockdown measures, but now only because it's china, its wrong, and it's non-human

No.. because it's China, it can't be trusted.  Again, isn't it convenient that entire world was surging with Omicron, China didn't seem to notice.  And yet now, *after* they hosted their Olympics is when they're starting to report higher numbers.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

It has been draconian enough in countries like Canada, the US, Australia, Italy, etc. But China has taken things to a whole higher level.

When set against the backdrop of that nation's government/politics, I find it ironic that the 2022 games - at least the small portion represented by segments of its ceremonies - struck me as having more of a human or Olympic-appropriate chord than other recent Olympics games have had.

The entirety of the Olympics aren't represented by a small portion of segments of the ceremonies.  But thanks for repeating that point for the 47th time.

Yes, China's response to COVID has been much more serious than pretty much everywhere else in the world.  But their complete and total lack of transparency makes virtually anything they do with regard to the pandemic a giant question mark.  What happen around the world make have been draconian, but it was necessary to keep people safe

57 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

The entirety of the Olympics aren't represented by a small portion of segments of the ceremonies.  But thanks for repeating that point for the 47th time.

Yes, China's response to COVID has been much more serious than pretty much everywhere else in the world.  But their complete and total lack of transparency makes virtually anything they do with regard to the pandemic a giant question mark.  What happen around the world make have been draconian, but it was necessary to keep people safe

Again, just proving my point...lockdown in western= keeping people's safe, lockdown in china= CCP trying to oppress chinese people... just because it's china...

23 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Again, just proving my point...lockdown in western= keeping people's safe, lockdown in china= CCP trying to oppress chinese people... just because it's china...

That's not the point at all.  Are you intentionally being obtuse?

Lockdown in Western countries (and pretty much everywhere in the world outside of China) = based on data we largely trust to be true

Lockdown in China based on this data..

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

Same number of reported deaths as the state of Idaho.  Same number of reported cases as Wyoming, the least populous state in the entire US. 

Once again for the folks in the cheap seats.. it's it incredible that COVID somehow decided not to ravage through China during the Olympics and waited until afterwards so it wouldn't be such an deterrent to the Olympics.  All while nearly every other country in the world dealt with the largest COVID surge we've seen yet and are now on the downswing, while China...

V0gFXS.png

Yea, sure dude, nothing suspicious about how COVID numbers started heading upwards right after the Paralympics.  This isn't about oppression.  This is about China lying about the numbers so it wouldn't come into play during the Olympics.  So much for Zero COVID now that they don't need to put on a happy face to the world (not to mention how their buddies the Russians waited for the Olympics to end to invade another country)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 1:15 PM, Quaker2001 said:

Lockdown in Western countries (and pretty much everywhere in the world outside of China) = based on data we largely trust to be true

As with so much of everything - including the Olympics - Covid-19 has been increasingly politicized. Unless the death rate from a microbe is very high, what's going on doesn't make sense. It's like using an atomic bomb to wipe out a swarm of mosquitoes.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

As with so much of everything - including the Olympics - Covid-19 has been increasingly politicized. Unless the death rate from a microbe is very high, what's going on doesn't make sense. It's like using an atomic bomb to wipe out a swarm of mosquitoes.

Fun fact: more people have died of Covid than of nuclear weapons so far.

(Of course this could be subject to change if Vlad sees fit).

• 2 weeks later...

This could had been the Winter Olympics but they were lucky to avoid the storm. Unfortunately, Hangzhou and Chengdu weren't as lucky.

Asian Games in China postponed due to pandemic

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2022/05/9731d8facfcf-urgent-asian-games-in-china-postponed-due-to-pandemic-source.html

Summer World University Games in Chengdu to take place in 2023

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1122800/chengdu-2023-world-university-games

41 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

This could had been the Winter Olympics but they were lucky to avoid the storm. Unfortunately, Hangzhou and Chengdu weren't as lucky.

Yea sure.. "luck"

What a coincidence that the storm of cases in China conveniently waited until after the Olympics while the rest of the world was dealing with a winter surge that hit countries like Australia and Korea (among others) that had been kept under control nearly the whole pandemic until then.

I'm not buying that COVID suddenly got worse in China.  Clearly they were under-reporting their numbers to ensure the Olympics wouldn't be threatened and then once they got through February and March, they could stop suppressing the numbers.  Needed that IOC TV money a lot more than the windfall from the Asian Games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even if they DO under report cases and make extreme lockdowns, i don´t think we can say anything about this storm being related to the 2022 Winter Olympics until we have some evidence of it. For all we know, omicron might have came for them later than the rest of the world; they could have lied about covid in Beijing indeed, and it wouldn´t be surprising, but we need to be careful here.

These goverments are bad enough as we know them, no need to imagine more badness from them before the tables turn and we become the bad guys too.

1 hour ago, Guilga said:

Even if they DO under report cases and make extreme lockdowns, i don´t think we can say anything about this storm being related to the 2022 Winter Olympics until we have some evidence of it. For all we know, omicron might have came for them later than the rest of the world; they could have lied about covid in Beijing indeed, and it wouldn´t be surprising, but we need to be careful here.

These goverments are bad enough as we know them, no need to imagine more badness from them before the tables turn and we become the bad guys too.

Are you seriously trying to turn this back on me?  No, I don't need to be careful when I'm looking at this, let's try it one more time...

chinacovid1.png

Once again, I put the cursor on the day of the closing ceremony.  Numbers then were in the low triple digits. By early April, daily cases were over 10,000.  I'm not blaming the storm on the Olympics.  I'm merely clapping back on the notion that somehow the Olympics were "lucky" and other events weren't.  It's hard for me to believe this graph where we're expected to presume that China was so effective at containing COVID in the lead up to their Olympics and then suddenly a surge happened right afterwards?  Wow, that's some impressive coincidence, isn't it!  Meanwhile, let's take a look at some other countries..

koreacovid.png

thaicovid.png

japancovid.png

Pretty much the entire world had a surge in January and February.  And yet somehow, the numbers in China show there wasn't a surge.  Are we supposed to believe that?  For 2 years, China's reported numbers were exceptionally low for a country of their size and all of a sudden, they start trending upwards right after the Olympics.  You'd have to be pretty naive not to think something is up there.  I refuse to believe that this is the result of "luck" and I'm not interested in waiting for evidence from of all entities the Chinese government before I make that assertion

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Beijing 2022 has reported a surplus of $52 million, with revenue generated being $2.29 billion and expenditures being $2.24 billion.

The IOC has decided to donate its share of the profit to the Chinese Olympic Committee to help support the development of winter sport in the country.

Beijing 2022 organizing committee reports surplus of $52 million - Chinadaily.com.cn