Beijing 2022

1 minute ago, iceman530 said:

Im legit scared right now, actually scared.  I thought Putin was too smart to do this.  Hes believing in his own immortality, a-la Hitler.  

Here's the thing. I think he knows that as more time passes, the better chance this gets forgotten. Frankly in an era of social media where people change their minds from one moment to the next, this can be manipulated to be old news quick enough where Russia is back in the fold for future Olympics. As I said in another thread, FINA had no problem awarding the aquatics championships to Kazan again no questions asked. Not saying 2036 would be a done deal, but this is not going to impact that race.

4 hours ago, stryker said:

Here's the thing. I think he knows that as more time passes, the better chance this gets forgotten. Frankly in an era of social media where people change their minds from one moment to the next, this can be manipulated to be old news quick enough where Russia is back in the fold for future Olympics. As I said in another thread, FINA had no problem awarding the aquatics championships to Kazan again no questions asked. Not saying 2036 would be a done deal, but this is not going to impact that race.

Are you talking about the doping issue? Probably.

But invading Ukraine will have far more outreaching consequences. He seems willing to pay that price though for whatever reason.

7 hours ago, stryker said:

Far too early to make that call.

The world is teetering on a major war instigated by Russia and lead by madman Putin and when NATO allies come to Ukraine’s aid could easily degenerate into World War 3.

Even with New Norm,  IOC Members still have a free secret electronic vote at Olympic Host Elections and they will not easily forget Russia starting a war during or shortly after an Olympic Games.

They will also not easily forget Russia is still dishing up doping violations during this current bizarre under-age doping case.

War or not, don’t bet on Russia not being given a further ban on participation in the Olympic Games when the current ban ends in December.

IOC launches Beijing 2022-themed NFT game

• By Michael Houston at the Main Press Centre in Beijing
  •  
  •  Sunday, 6 February 2022

The IOC has launched a Beijing 2022-based NFT game ©IOC

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has introduced a new mobile game for the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic Games featuring non-fungible tokens (NFTs).

Olympic Games Jam: Beijing 2022, an app-based game developed by blockchain game studio nWay, rewards users with NFTs - part of the "play-to-earn" genre.

The game allows players to compete in a number of Olympic events, including snowboarding and skiing.

Players can customise their own avatars too.

Digital versions of Olympic pins can be bought and traded with other users on nWay's marketplace. 

The digital pins are licensed through the IOC's official programme.

"We intend to support the game with continuous updates in the months to come, to keep the players engaged, and the Olympic spirit ongoing," said Taehoon Kim, chief executive of nWay.

NFTs can be bought and sold, similar to cryptocurrency, stocks or sports memorabilia ©Getty Images NFTs can be bought and sold, similar to cryptocurrency, stocks or sports memorabilia ©Getty Images

NFTs, unique digital units which can be sold and traded like other collectibles, are considered controversial by many and have been criticised for being a speculative asset as well as for their energy cost and the carbon footprint associated with validating blockchain transactions.

Speculative assets are related to economic bubbles, in which asset prices are much higher than the underlying fundamentals can reasonably justify, meaning prices are higher than the product's intrinsic value.

These bubbles often crash, decreasing the value of the product sharply.

Other critics have likened NFT markets to a pyramid scheme, where early adopters profit at the expense of those buying later.

In Olympic Games Jam: Beijing 2022, users can join up to 15 players worldwide to compete in real time, arcade-style contests in Winter Olympic disciplines. 

Players can earn NFTs for their performances, which it is promised can then be traded for crash prizes.

The game is free to download on the Apple and Android app stores.

SO... There is NFT pins now. And a play-to-earn mobile game about a (formely) amauetur sport event

Guess the sustentability programs were all a big joke after all, huh?

They also selling the dammed things outside the game too.

https://www.nwayplay.com/?utm_source=olympics&utm_medium=olympicspage&utm_campaign=olympicspage

By the way, look at that pin i got by thw power of right-clicking:ac12e850-adaf-4e68-bb53-f57b4e610180_cor

Great the IOC is making pins more acessible!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

Ah, these unpolitical Olympics again…

https://twitter.com/dw_freedom/status/1494242226800627716?s=21

Interestingly, the lady jumped in over Mark Adams. So there‘s a lot of egg on the IOC‘s face now, but of course they‘ll pretend all is fine.

They really, really needed to jump that shark, didn't they... 

2 hours ago, iceman530 said:

I bet they have a snide little something as a last middle finger for the closing ceremonies too.

If they actually have the audacity to pull this and be so astonishingly explicit that even the tv commentators cannot avoid talking about it... It might actually be an amazingly infamus olympic ceremones all-time moment. That would be a funny let´s make things go aaaalll offf the raaaaills!!! instant that olympic history won´t be able to forget!

On some positive (not Covid or doping positive!) news...Belgium just one its first winter gold medal in 74 years (Bart Swings in speed skating mass start) - also the first time since 1948 that they won two medals (one bronze in Short Track), which brings their winter total now to a stunning...eight!

They did not win any medal for 50 years until 1998 and then again another 20 years. Bart Swings did one better today than four years ago.

unknown.png

My team for last day´s fantasy. Can you spot a familiar name related to a certain calduron here? 

It was a chill ride most of the time this games, weren´t they? The CCP only true massive eyebrow rising moments three times during all games, and two of them were in the opening ceremony; sport has been fun even though your mileage may vary by what your local broadcasters handle of their TV rights... (In my case, i wound up lucky because alongside the TV offerings, here in Brazil they made possible to watch the IOC YouTube streams of the medal events and the Olympic Video Player, with all the OBS bonanza and all of the action, ALL FREE OF CHARGE. Just had to go to the site or the app. My only struglle this games was the time zone difference, and i doubt we gonna get all of this come 2024! It is something else entirely be able to watch an winter olympic all-you-can-eat buffet.)

How boy, Valieva case will have us in ours seats for a good while after all this is over, hopefully with a certain coach axed for child abuse. Even the IOC somehow managed to get on the good boys side this once, surprisingly. If Figure Skating get´s axed for that like boxing, pentatlhon and weightlifting, though... We might have seen the end of the winter games for reals, and because of russian dopping. Sochi was wonderful, right?

Anyway, games has been fun, not that much controversy overall, certainly not in the level anyone expected (also helped that Putin decided to throw a invasion party in Ukraine that can or will result in a giga mess), CCP must be proud that games-time operations went in their favor. Taiwan and Xinjiang issues actually showed up only when they deliberately invoked them, be on that shameful press conference or at the calduron lighting. Of course, that´s apart of the Peng Shuai is totally fine and nothing happened Tour with Thomas "Fencing, 1976" Bach.

Let´s see what the last day, and closing ceremony brings to us. If we get a Let´s reunite, Taiwan or Ugyurs are toootaly fine, we swear moment there, all of this will look like they´re laughing on our faces this entire time but i guess the International Olympic Commitee made their (questionable to best-possible-at-the-moment during the whole bidding debacle) choices already, and they will have to get this over with the consequences. At least we got the New Norm out of this mess, right? (Looking to a certain poster here)

If this serves of consolation, 2022 have another huge event later this year with equally questionable actions of the hosts, and they are directly related to the event too! Political sportive messes are fun, right? Good last olympic games day for everyone.

Hopefully the Paras aren´t marred because of a invasion related to Russia (or someone else with unlimited partnership with their government) between the olympics and them again.

Oh I am all but certain China has one last middle finger to drop on the way out the door.

For all its flaws, this is literally the Olympics I was expecting.  It was the most Chinese (and Russian) Olympics you could ask for.  Completely sterile, completely controlled, completely boring, with Russia just being unable to not be Russia and got the magnifying glass off China.  China will say it was a successful games, naturally.  Its the one they deserved, and Im happy they got to host under these circumstances.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 10:33 PM, StefanMUC said:

As opposed to not extinguishing a self-inflamed Tibetan protester?

Oh, believe me, nobody would even dare to set themselves on fire in Beijing. In fact, there's no place on earth with better fire safety that Tian'anmen square. When I was there around the 25th anniversary of the massacre (loads of TV documentaries praising Deng Xiaoping airing at that time!), that square was covered with bright red fire extinguishers every ten meters or so. Nobody is as concerned about people's fire safety like the CCP (as long as Han Chinese, foreigners, or cameras are around at least...).

51 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Oh I am all but certain China has one last middle finger to drop on the way out the door.

For all its flaws, this is literally the Olympics I was expecting.  It was the most Chinese (and Russian) Olympics you could ask for.  Completely sterile, completely controlled, completely boring, with Russia just being unable to not be Russia and got the magnifying glass off China.  China will say it was a successful games, naturally.  Its the one they deserved, and Im happy they got to host under these circumstances.  

I agree, and I want to add Lausanne will be quite happy about how this turned out, too. After all, media attention diverted from the "inappropriate politization of the games" faster than I had anticipated.

It'll be interesting to see if the Chinese are here to stay for winter sports or if it's a one-off. One has to admit, their strategy of buying foreign know-how, naturalizing foreign talent with Chinese roots, and a little help by the judges from time to time has led to quite an impressive overall result.

51 minutes ago, munichfan said:

t'll be interesting to see if the Chinese are here to stay for winter sports or if it's a one-off.

If anything else, if they keep on the space, this will be the real legacy of this games after all. Always count a soviet state to love some gold medals.