Beijing 2022

3 hours ago, iceman530 said:

It would literally be the equivalent of giving the games to Munich in 1936, thats the sort of government they are facilitating and galvanizing.  

Uhm…it was Berlin. And at the time it got the Olympics (1931), Germany still had a democratic government.

The IOC let themselves be fooled by Hitler from 1933 onwards, just like they dance to Xina‘s tune now.

Giving Russia 2036 would be equivalent to, well, giving China 2008 or 2022 (though the alternative wasn‘t great there either, much of the IOC‘s own making). Nothing new sadly.

20 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I think that in 2001, when Beijing was chosen to host the summer games, there was still some hope that by engaging with them, they still might develop more progressively. I bought into that to a degree. I think everyone  underestimated just how feral they would become instead.

I think that narrative is now well and truly over. And even in 2001 and until 2008, all that talk by the IOC was just a cover for the economic interest in China.  It was already a totalitarian regime that suppressed Tibet and erased Tiananmen from collective minds. Nowadays, Bach puts the economic gain even right before anything else. At least that‘s brutally honest.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

I think that narrative is now well and truly over. And even in 2001 and until 2008, all that talk by the IOC was just a cover for the economic interest in China.  It was already a totalitarian regime that suppressed Tibet and erased Tiananmen from collective minds. Nowadays, Bach puts the economic gain even right before anything else. At least that‘s brutally honest.

Oh yeah, I agree totally.

i also overestimated the spine of the IOC. I had the quaint idea that hosting the Olympics meant you were putting your country, both its good and bad side, up for scrutiny and you had to wear it. We Australians certainly had our dirty laundry regarding the indigenous population aired before the world. I didn’t foresee just how much the IOC would insulate and protect, first China then Russia and now China gain, from scrutiny and criticism.

6 hours ago, iceman530 said:

It would literally be the equivalent of giving the games to Munich in 1936, thats the sort of government they are facilitating and galvanizing.  All Russia had to do was literally, "dont be a douche", and they would have got it.  Welllllllll.......

Don't worry - Fеисiйg 1976 will implore athletes to Give Peace a Chance at the opening ceremony of Каzани 2036. 

Hot.Cool.Ours.ru

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Giving Russia 2036 would be equivalent to, well, giving China 2008 or 2022 (though the alternative wasn‘t great there either, much of the IOC‘s own making). Nothing new sadly.

Yeah, I was gonna say. By the time the IOC awards 2036, all these current tumultuous events (i.e. doping, Ukraine, etc.) will all be ancient history anyway. It’ll just revert to business as usual by then.

13 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Its almost like Russian sports administrators like being the pariah.

They do. They abandoned all pretenses long ago and decided to take all the anti russian sentiment as a token of honor, saying the entire West is plotting against them instead of admitting their own faults.

If anything this has proved what was obvious for all of us for years, that this stupid excuse of a punishment toward Russia after Sochi 2014 was not hard enough as they also have brushed it off and enjoy the act of pissing the rest of the world off.

A full, complete ban should be done, but we all know Olympic Champion in Fencing 1976 spineless attitude won't allow it.

39 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

They do. They abandoned all pretenses long ago and decided to take all the anti russian sentiment as a token of honor, saying the entire West is plotting against them instead of admitting their own faults.

If anything this has proved what was obvious for all of us for years, that this stupid excuse of a punishment toward Russia after Sochi 2014 was not hard enough as they also have brushed it off and enjoy the act of pissing the rest of the world off.

A full, complete ban should be done, but we all know Olympic Champion in Fencing 1976 spineless attitude won't allow it.

Let‘s see if the IOC takes a stand should that particular country break the sacred Olympic peace by invading their neighbours next week, as is currently predicted.

I remember years and years ago (probably around the first time there was a string of weightlifting doping cases) that I said there should be a blanket ban on a country if they have so many doping violations in a given time period. I was called draconian/heavy-handed/asinine/insane/unrealistic/you name it. But here we are. Russia had a doping issue in Pyeongchang, had a medal striped. And this is still happening. A complete ban for 2-4 years (who would actually miss them?) and a hosting ban for 10 years should be a thing. CAS downgrading everything was ridiculous.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:50 AM, AustralianFan said:

Is this in three ways a mess?

1. under-age ?
  2. doping ?
  3. Russian

In all honesty this will be long forgotten by the time Russia Reva up their 2036 bid and Russia is officially back in the fold when their ban expires at the end of this year. It'll get swept under the rug. The coach will probably be hung out to dry but that's it. In terms of the Olympic movement risking it's credibility, that had already happened. After this, I'd Bach and Coates had any dignity they'd resign immediately

15 minutes ago, stryker said:

In all honesty this will be long forgotten by the time Russia Reva up their 2036 bid and Russia is officially back in the fold when their ban expires at the end of this year. It'll get swept under the rug. The coach will probably be hung out to dry but that's it. In terms of the Olympic movement risking it's credibility, that had already happened. After this, I'd Bach and Coates had any dignity they'd resign immediately

Ohhhhh I dont know about that good sir.........   Russia is about to pull the ultimate buddy move.  And its going to make everyone forget about the Olympics, completely.

• Like 1