Beijing 2022

Another piece on how woeful the Chinese men's ice hockey team is, should they be kept as hosts. This time from the New York Times' Tariq Panja. A decision on should China's place in it is expected to arrive as early next week at a IIHF board meeting in Zurich. Stakes no doubt are very high for all parties involved with, among them, not wanting to anger the increasingly globally-powerful hosts in displaying its growing affluence and influence and conquering corona.

Speaking of which, the pandemic without question impacted Chinese ice hockey in the leadup to Beijing 2022 like with Red Star Kunlun forced to base itself in Moscow instead of Beijing last couple of years. Also, if you're a (or want to be a, if born abroad) Chinese citizen and seeking to compete, you must be well-versed in Communist doctrine and virtues education:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/28/sports/olympics/china-olympics-hockey.html

13 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Yes, only 18 ACTUAL competitors.  But the lists include ALTERNATES who may come in due to injury or if athletes test positive early and therefore are quarantined.  I think the "alternates" can be called in to compete--if they are also negative.  The thing is the USSR is strong in ALL the sports -- unlike say, Norway, which is strong in a lot of the X-country events, but not in Figure Skating.  Of course, Communist-Genocidal China, as host, will have entrants in every sport.  Then, of course, the USA will be #3 in terms of team size -- followed by Canada, Germany, Japan, Norway and Ukraine.  

There will not be 63 figure skaters in Beijing for Russia, even including alternates.  At most there will be 36 - 3 alternates/teams for each discipline.  Like I explained earlier, that list is who was nominated by their respective national sports federations as potential Olympic athletes.  

And, no, Russia is not strong in all winter sports - they're decidedly weak in alpine skiing, as an example.  Did you look at the list of nominated athletes?  There weren't more than twenty or so in alpine skiing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karenina said:

There will not be 63 figure skaters in Beijing for Russia, even including alternates.  At most there will be 36 - 3 alternates/teams for each discipline.  Like I explained earlier, that list is who was nominated by their respective national sports federations as potential Olympic athletes.  

That's what i said EXCEPT I did not giv ethe number of alternates.  NOT important becuz they are only back-ups.  Do you have to be so anal?  

The IIHF's new President Luc Tardif and his Council and the IIHF Congress announce they have no plans to kick out the Chinese men off from the Olympic ice hockey program they are hosting in concerning the progress of the team right now. Will continue reviewing Team China's eligibility status of the players submitted in the initial team roster long list with the IIHF and the Chinese Ice Hockey Association working together to schedule two games with the Chinese national team in a joint effort to evaluate the competitive level status of the team’s preparations for Beijing 2022 in accordance to IIHF rules. These eligible national team players--the ones with the Chinese flag next to their names at the KHL website--will compete as part of Kunlun Red Star in the KHL team's league games on November 13 (versus Avangard) and 15 (versus Amur). Likely at Beijing's Wukesong Arena. Following these games, the IIHF Council will reconvene to discuss the next course of action and would continue assistance when needed in team preparations. If not satisfied, Norway, ranked #11 currently in the IIHF men's rankings, can still replace the Chinese. That list must be very satisfactory to the IIHF considering the current context and state of Chinese men's national ice hockey team's development.

Should be noted here that the Chinese women aren't impacted in this in any way as they're deemed more competitive there by the IIHF in the women's game:

https://www.iihf.com/en/news/29965/iihf_council_meeting_concludes_(1)

I wonder if the reason why they've given so little detail about the ceremonies and its staff has to do with the fact they want to avoid a Tokyo scenario where half of its staff was constantly Cancelled which lead to the disastrous ceremonies we already know.

6 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

I wonder if the reason why they've given so little detail about the ceremonies and its staff has to do with the fact they want to avoid a Tokyo scenario where half of its staff was constantly Cancelled which lead to the disastrous ceremonies we already know.

It’s possible, but I think it’s more likely they want to keep the secrecy lid on the coming Beijing Ceremonies even tighter than it was in 2008.

Quite the opposite of the ‘COVID Ceremonies debutantes’ Tokyo,  I think that, within the Olympic playbooks, Beijing 2022 will offer mega ceremonies in the Birdsnest again on a breathtaking spectacular scale. 

They showed us what they can do in Beijing 2008 and Nanjing 2014.  

Their National Games opening ceremony, even with the current Covid situation, and the anniversary of the CCP ceremony at Bird Nest were of a huge scale. Its no doubt they will do something big, specially if they can add more salt into the wound of a country they've never liked much such as Japan.

Anyway, it started snowing in Beijing earlier than expected

59746842_303.jpg

FDkEgjvUUAgX3xW.jpg

FDkEgjsUcAoyGtl.jpg

• Like 1