Beijing 2022

10 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

China has always been terrible in team sports due to their culture/mentality, so its not surprising. They only seem to be capable to perform good at individual events.

6 hours ago, Triplecast said:

China Women's Volleyball, Olympic Gold Medalists 1984 and 2016.

And don't forget their men's and women's basketball teams are satisfactory (usually nicely among the top 10-15 international teams), although the men have backslid a bit and weren't in the Olympics this time. The women's basketball and soccer teams are on the upswing internationally. Don't know about Chinese curling, although the China women's ice hockey team could fare better than the men (which isn't saying much right now)--and they certainly were when women's ice hockey became an Olympic sport as among the best of Asia with Japan over 20 years as the game there was still developing and when the men were sidelined. Still is. But Japan and even South Korea have since well overtaken the Chinese women. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1113610/b2022-domestic-spectators

It's official. Domestic spectators at Beijing. More importantly, athletes will be required to quarantine with unvaccinated athletes having to quarantine for a longer period of time. Quarantine periods have not been announced. Given that this is from the organizing committee, I'll be curious if the IOC has a response to this. I can't imagine the IOC being happy with any quarantines but they have little choice.

3 hours ago, stryker said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1113610/b2022-domestic-spectators

It's official. Domestic spectators at Beijing. More importantly, athletes will be required to quarantine with unvaccinated athletes having to quarantine for a longer period of time. Quarantine periods have not been announced. Given that this is from the organizing committee, I'll be curious if the IOC has a response to this. I can't imagine the IOC being happy with any quarantines but they have little choice.

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/olympic-and-paralympic-winter-games-beijing-2022-updates-on-spectators-vaccination-and-covid-19-countermeasures

IOC announced it as well, so I assume it was a joint agreement like the ones we saw for Tokyo

46 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

That was always the best case scenario as far as attendance goes.  Lets see if they can hold that up, because it could easily get worse as winter comes.

Nah chinese government isn't japanese government, and summer 2021 will not be the same as winter 2022. Tokyo 2020 went on behind closed doors, because of the lack of covid 19 restrictions on the second quarter of 2021, on the other hand China will host it with attendance, because they know(by their own means) how to prevent covid to be a problem in their territory. Also I think that its ironical that Japan and China (the two countires with the most travel restrictions in the world regarding covid-19) finished up being 2020 and 2022 host cities, any other european and american cities would have allowed international fans with only a negative pcr or a vaccination passport, but it wasn't up to them. Anyway looking forward to foreign fans in paris, and hoping chinese fans put on a great show next winter (Im hoping to see something very 2008esque), or at least something more "alive" than Tokyo olympics last summer

The WSJ said the IOC had pushed for no quarantine but this was rejected by China. Restrictions will be far more stringent. Athletes will be tested daily. They must remain in the OV except when travelling to the ceremonies or competition venues. Unspecified measures will be taken for violators and I am sure they won't be as nice as the ones in Tokyo

6 hours ago, stryker said:

The WSJ said the IOC had pushed for no quarantine but this was rejected by China. Restrictions will be far more stringent. Athletes will be tested daily. They must remain in the OV except when travelling to the ceremonies or competition venues. Unspecified measures will be taken for violators and I am sure they won't be as nice as the ones in Tokyo

4 and a half months to go...........the fun is already getting started

Well Tokyo wasn't a disaster, and now we'll have this second pandemic time games. So they've shown they can host a games that doesn't implode on itself, but will they be any good, and will they demonstrate the type of feeling and joy the IOC really hopes they portray? I'm doubtful. So we got Tokyo which was ok, it wasn't a London, but it was fine. Now we'll have Beijing, will it be a Vancouver, probably not, but it might at least be better than a Sochi.

Latest on the China ice hockey front thanks to France 24: The IIHF elected a brand new president in France's Luc Tardif over a week ago--and he wants to be absolutely certain with IIHF officials observing games that China's men is going to be competitive next February. Or else they won't be competing as hosts, normally granted automatically. The IIHF isn't having it. The IIHF isn't as worried about the Chinese women's ice hockey as much, but it obviously wouldn't be good look anyway you slice for the Chinese men--damned if you, damned if you don't participate. Why weren't Chinese sports authorities looking to comprehensingly invest in winter sports as part of its global sports dominance ambition for decades since entering the international sports arena? Where were the major multiyear plans for solvent Chinese men's ice hockey to improve internationally for decades at all levels even when the NHL played games there in opening up new markets to remain on par with Japan, Kazakhstan, and South Korea? Tardif adds NHL players competing in Beijing are all but a certainty with the NHL, NHLPA, and other stakeholders formally very close to okaying this:

https://nationalteamsoficehockey.com/hosts-china-face-possible-exclusion-from-olympic-ice-hockey/

14 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Isn’t this a bit late in the day? There can be no real evidence for that competitiveness as there’s no major tournament left before the Olympics.

Part of my point, really. Too far into this now. Not even perhaps planned tune-up games leading up to the Opening Ceremonies would truly gauge who the Chinese are and build the competitive team chemistry. Regardless, they'll take a major shellacking.

19 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

OK, I know some people will hate me for what I'm about to say, but can we admitt that Beijing and Sochi has brought us the greatest infrastructure ever seen for a winter olympics, like c'mon, even pyeongchang can't be compared to this. Videos like this makes me wanna go and ski to china

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

OK, I know some people will hate me for what I'm about to say, but can we admitt that Beijing and Sochi has brought us the greatest infrastructure ever seen for a winter olympics, like c'mon, even pyeongchang can't be compared to this. Videos like this makes me wanna go and ski to china

Absolutely, incredible infrastructure at a huge cost.  Gauging the support of the people just doesn’t apply in China and Russia whose Governments plough on regardless.

Beijing Winter Games venues, transport infrastructure, new airport, high speed train are at a new level again which are unlikely to be matched again until either China or Russia were to land another Games.  They appear to have money to burn.