Beijing 2022

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I dunno. As much as I love architecture and admit Beijing 2008 venues are easily among the best of the best in olympic history, overspending tons of money is far from what the Olympics need right now. They should just pick venues from 2008 and turn them into Ice sport venues instead.

On 9/5/2017 at 8:54 PM, Ikarus360 said:

I dunno. As much as I love architecture and admit Beijing 2008 venues are easily among the best of the best in olympic history, overspending tons of money is far from what the Olympics need right now. They should just pick venues from 2008 and turn them into Ice sport venues instead.

You realize that the length of a long-track speed skating field is 400 meters, pretty much the same size as the field for an athletics stadium?  Hardly anyone has a venue with that type of space available, so most long track speed skating venues are built from scratch just for the olympic games.

17 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

You realize that the length of a long-track speed skating field is 400 meters, pretty much the same size as the field for an athletics stadium?  Hardly anyone has a venue with that type of space available, so most long track speed skating venues are built from scratch just for the olympic games.

They could arguably have extended the Convention Centre that is right next door to the Indoor Arena and across from the BIrd's Nest.  However I assume that will be the media centre this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sochi took their sweet time to unveil their (dissapointing) logo as well. They did it around December, so i'm pretty sure it will be very soon.

One thing is for sure, the Handover is already going to be awesome by the sole fact Zhang Yimou is up to the job once again.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.cladglobal.com/CLADnews/architecture-design/2022-Winter-Olympics-Beijing-Group-GSA-Fulong-Four-Seasons-Resort-Chiongli-ski-resort-design/335273?source=home&p=3

Design shows swooping 2022 Winter Olympics culture and information hub

HIGH23368_244489.jpg

HIGH23363_473832.jpg

HIGH23367_519535.jpg

HIGH23369_467682.jpg

HIGH23364_505102.jpg

HIGH23365_329576.jpg

HIGH23366_691867.jpg

Australian architecture studio Group GSA have won a design competition to create an information hub for the ski resort hosting events during the 2022 Winter Olympics.

The Four Seasons Town Reception Center will welcome spectators to Fulong Four Seasons Resort – the Olympic venue located 90km (56 miles) northwest of Beijing in the city of Chongli, Hebei province.

Fulong is a master-planned, year-round community featuring 37 ski trails – the longest of which is 3.6km (2.2 miles) – and a total skiable area of approximately 750,000sq m (8 million sq ft).

The development will also boast 20,000 hotel beds and a host of leisure amenities.

Located at the gateway to the resort, Group GSA’s reception centre has been designed as “a dynamic landmark to bring social, cultural and economic interests to Chongli and Fulong”. It will feature a dynamic swooping form that evokes a sense of movement and relates the building to the surrounding mountain slopes and ski tracks.

Inside, the 4,610sq m (49,600sq ft) facility will include a help desk, an information point with updates on the scheduled Olympic events, and exhibitions showcasing Chongli’s history, culture, economic progress and development plans. Meanwhile, observation points will offer visitors panoramic views from a range of levels.

Group GSA principal Alina Valcarce said: “The curvature and form was taken from the surrounding mountain slopes and the ski tracks left behind from travellers and visitors leaving a rotary mark to mimic the constantly evolving environment.

“This design was selected as it coupled seamlessly with not only the context, but also the evolving seasonal states that the site undergoes throughout the year, from summer to winter. Hence the theme of 'Fire & Ice' was pursued. Temperatures change very quickly from icy winter to hot summer in Chongli, so the architectural and design team implemented the integration of hot and cold in its façade design.”

This will be demonstrated by a silver-coloured exterior for half of the structure and a copper-coloured one for the other half. In the warmer months, the building’s green roof will be visible, blending in with the natural landscape, while in winter, snow will cover the undulating surface.

Construction is scheduled for completion by December 2018.

The 2022 Winter Olympics will take place from 4 to 20 February 2022. In addition to Fulong, events will be hosted in other towns across Hebei province and in Beijing itself.

Several of the facilities built for the 2008 Olympic Games will be converted to accommodate winter sports, with organisers keen to cut costs by reusing venues rather than building more expensive facilities.

The Water Cube Aquatics Centre – which has been converted into a public water park since the Games – will be renovated to host the curling events, while the National Indoor Stadium, designed by the Beijing Institute of Technology Design, will stage the ice hockey tournament.

http://www.sohu.com/a/208163840_503567

http://sports.qianlong.com/2017/1201/2216740.shtml

According to these articles, the Logo and Visual Identity of Beijing 2022 will be unveiled this month.

fff378450afc4af7aa864e4c24c8d208.jpeg

Emblem December debut with the core of visual identity
To organize a wonderful, extraordinary and remarkable Olympic event, we need to fully display the vision of hosting country and show the splendid culture and vitality.
Beijing this winter, the much-watched Beijing Olympic Games emblem of the final preparations for the countdown also entered. In December, as the most important visual landscape symbol of Beijing Olympic Winter Games, the mysterious veil will be unveiled. The Beijing Olympic Winter Games emblem collection selection has received widespread attention, solicited a total of more than 4500 pieces of Winter Olympic Games, Paralympic Games emblem design works, is 2.2 times the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, reflecting the community's attention to the Winter Olympics . Will be released soon after it has been refined and implemented.
Industry experts believe that this iconic visual element will fully demonstrate the core concept of the Beijing Olympic Winter Games, the perfect blend of the splendid culture of China and the Olympic spirit, to demonstrate the unique charm of the Winter Olympics. The collection of emblem fully reflects the Beijing Olympic Winter Games has been highly concerned about not only the public to actively participate, but also attracted a number of first-class Chinese and foreign design agencies outstanding designers to participate.

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2017 at 12:40 PM, Ikarus360 said:

I wonder what the legacy plan is for this venue. I know it's a hotel and all, but I wonder if the skiing tourism will be sustained.

On 1/28/2018 at 4:22 PM, anthonyliberatori said:

I wonder what the legacy plan is for this venue. I know it's a hotel and all, but I wonder if the skiing tourism will be sustained.

Yes, almost certainly.   Even with just the current pre-Olympic facilities in the area, it's being heavily marketed in Southeast Asia.  Lots of Singaporeans and Malaysians have been coming up to learn basic skiing and see snow (natural or man-made).   And they can combine with normal tourist stuff in the Beijing area.   It's orders of magnitude cheaper than going to Japan or Europe or North America to do winter sports.   There may be some follow-on opportunities for foreign ski instructors who have a lot of patience with beginning skiers.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jiejie said:

Yes, almost certainly.   Even with just the current pre-Olympic facilities in the area, it's being heavily marketed in Southeast Asia.  Lots of Singaporeans and Malaysians have been coming up to learn basic skiing and see snow (natural or man-made).   And they can combine with normal tourist stuff in the Beijing area.   It's orders of magnitude cheaper than going to Japan or Europe or North America to do winter sports.   There may be some follow-on opportunities for foreign ski instructors who have a lot of patience with beginning skiers.  

That's good to hear. I also hope they're marketing it within China as well, because domestic visitors are much easier to get and retain. However, I know Singapore and Malaysia have strong economies and have been sending out strong numbers of tourists for a while now so I'm glad China was smart enough to reach out to them with their marketing. I hope Pyeongchang also did it, or presents itself well enough globally to the point that they can draw tourists, because for tourists, it will almost be the same structure to pick China or Korea for an Asian ski trip. Fly into Beijing to Seoul, then take a train to your resort area to ski. Or, they could focus in on marketing day trip options, and try and grab already existent tourists and locals from Beijing and Seoul for day ski trips via the bullet trains post-Games.

I just really hope one of these areas becomes successful once the Olympics leave, I fear another Nagano.

Yes, they are marketing the entire Zhangjiakou area within China to domestic Chinese visitors and to expat groups also, who don't want to deal with the extreme cold (and distance) of going up to the Harbin area.  My church is getting a group together to go up to Chongli in a couple of weeks for a 3-day trip.   Skiing and snowboarding are in growth mode in China.   

The bullet train will really fill a need beyond a two-week sporting event.   While a lot of outsiders think that this is one of those made-for-Olympics infrastructure deals, the truth is that there has been a huge need for a bullet connection between Beijing and Zhangjiakou for the last 10 years.   It's an extreme annoyance getting to ZJK  by !@#$% slow train or backed-up road traffic, and a bottleneck if heading to Inner Mongolia.   Zhangjiakou might be known now as one of the Olympic hosting sites, but that's kind of incidental.  It's a major industrial city and military town: a big part of the People's Liberation Army protecting Beijing is based there.  

The only parts of the 2022 Infrastructure that I think are likely white elephants are the sliding venues.  But I guess that's been a problem for Winter Olympic hosts the world over.  The main worry I'd have about the actual Olympic period is lack of plentiful natural snow.  I'm sure the Chinese gov't has a tiger team working on how to influence the heavens though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jiejie said:

Yes, they are marketing the entire Zhangjiakou area within China to domestic Chinese visitors and to expat groups also, who don't want to deal with the extreme cold (and distance) of going up to the Harbin area.  My church is getting a group together to go up to Chongli in a couple of weeks for a 3-day trip.   Skiing and snowboarding are in growth mode in China.   

The bullet train will really fill a need beyond a two-week sporting event.   While a lot of outsiders think that this is one of those made-for-Olympics infrastructure deals, the truth is that there has been a huge need for a bullet connection between Beijing and Zhangjiakou for the last 10 years.   It's an extreme annoyance getting to ZJK  by !@#$% slow train or backed-up road traffic, and a bottleneck if heading to Inner Mongolia.   Zhangjiakou might be known now as one of the Olympic hosting sites, but that's kind of incidental.  It's a major industrial city and military town: a big part of the People's Liberation Army protecting Beijing is based there.  

The only parts of the 2022 Infrastructure that I think are likely white elephants are the sliding venues.  But I guess that's been a problem for Winter Olympic hosts the world over.  The main worry I'd have about the actual Olympic period is lack of plentiful natural snow.  I'm sure the Chinese gov't has a tiger team working on how to influence the heavens though.

I am glad to hear that there is good marketing going on within China will before the Games to build the hype now, as well as Winter Sports being in a period of growth. You'll have to send some construction/venue pics when you go on your trip. I chuckled at your last comment!

15 minutes ago, A-Money1983 said:

What is going to happen, with the Games conflicting with Super Bowl 56??

Opening Ceremony is in February 4th, while the SuperBowl 56 is at Sunday (February 6th) so it's not really going to conflict at all.