Online Petition Pushes For Paris 2024 Olympic Bid Referendum

GBModerator

Activists in Paris are calling for a referendum over the city’s Olympic bid.  With the slogan “no games of money, concrete and sponsors” an online petition was launched February 17, the same day opponents of Budapest’s Olympic bid completed the collection of over 266,000 signatures in their city, enough to force a referendum in Hungary’s Capital. The […]

View the full article

3 minutes ago, FYI said:

The IOC just needs to get it over with & do the double-award already. There's nothing to think about anymore. Anybody who thinks that Europe would be "lining up" for 2028 is completely delusional, & not to mention totally bias.

Which reminds me, how incredible theory from Abrahamson, right :rolleyes:?

42 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

Which reminds me, how incredible theory from Abrahamson, right :rolleyes:?

Yes, & of course I just checked to see if he had a "piece" on Budapest's withdrawal, & sure enough, he did! It was so long-winded (a lot of it is stuff that we already know here) & TEDIOUS that I just :rolleyes: throughout the whole thing. He called it "journalism". I call it bias L.A. propaganda. 

He's also so patronizing against the French & trash talks Europe as a whole, that it gives a whole new meaning to hypocrisy. The whole thing just reeks of entitlement & how L.A. is going to "save the day". And if there is a "two-fer" in Lima, that it "has" to be L.A. who goes first. Yeah, okay. 

And it also talks again how Europe would just be overflowing with bids for 2028 if L.A. was to win 2024. But as usual, here's where the hypocrisy comes in, he chastises Europe so much with all of their "problems" & why 2024 would "not" be good to go there, but yet all of the sudden, all of their problems are going to be "gone" for 2028, hence all the European bids then, according to him. He even cites Budapest & Paris to bid. Yeah, sure, 2028 bids will be the last thing on the French & Hungarians minds (among others) if things are so "BAD" in Europe. :rolleyes:

He claims at the beginning that he in no way is associated with the L.A. bid (I guess that he's been called out on it already), & that his views are objective, even though L.A.'s been his home since 1992. But anyway, here's the "article" if anyone wants to read the hyperbole rhetoric (to say the least). Again though, it's long-winded & tedious. So go grab a drink or something before indulging yourself in this crapola of "journalism".

http://www.3wiresports.com/2017/02/22/perception-reality-olympic-games-must-change/

Said it from the start before US even selected a candidate city...LA is the safest choice for the IOC to chose right now at this present moment for to fit their needs. I know you could probably find thousands of voters in LA who would sign a NO-LA petition but the support for the games here is too strong to be denied by any onlooker. LA 84 was such an experience here for folks that they're willing and I wasn't even born in this town or even alive when it happened. Calls for a referendum in Paris though unlikely could possibly hold traction. LA not so much folks I get it we have some folks here who've factored out this race as a Paris win not because they support Paris but because they're students of history of these races but this is not a typical year and the IOC is not in the commanding position it usually is in. LA will get 2024 whether they award both games at the same time or not. the city is just too ready to deal with all possible fall outs and though Paris can also do the same, in Europe revolution in one country can often spill into another. German Italy Hungary Switzerland all had referendums on this and lost People in Paris aren't blind to see and ask questions as to why what's going on why should we foot this bill.

LA folks saw Boston's referendum and got energized. 

3 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

Thanks for the synopsis, but I prefer to avoid the Californian arrogance and self-importance of Abrahamson (Are we really sure RuFF isn't Abrahamson?)

Lmfao - I've asked that before myself, but even AA is probably a bit smarter than tRuff. And that ain't saying much to begin with lol. Anyway, I just posted his latest L.A. soap box a couple of posts ago, if you're interested.

Just now, FYI said:

Lmfao - I've asked that before myself, but even AA is probably a bit smarter than tRuff. And that ain't saying much to begin with lol. Anyway, I just posted his latest L.A. soap box a couple of posts ago, if you're interested.

I saw it.  Thanks for sharing.  And yea, it does look pretty nauseating.

• Like 1

Looking at some of your comments to me it isn't even an LA entitlement and arrogance situation. You all have to ask yourself simply what does the IOC need right now? not what they needed before or wanted. cause if that's the case Paris wins hands down. But the IOC needs packed stadiums gushing fans financial assurances no transportation strikes. they just need good PR right now and LA could almost guarantee that. Yes there is the Trump factor working against them but Trump isn't organizing the games and really and truly has nothing to do with it until he (heaven forbid) has to open the games 7 years from now but other than that it's the city ad the people LA's mass development projects that you can actually see taking shape is getting folks ready

My question is, though, to all the L.A. boosters (which they've never come up with a feasible answer), if Europe is "so wrong" for 2024 with all the referendums & so forth, then how would 2028 be any better?! How is a "low-cost" Games in L.A. be beneficial to Europe when they "publicly fund" all of their Games?!

Cuz I don't see how L.A. changes that one way or the other, other than showing how L.A. can perhaps stage cost effective Games, but that would only pertain to L.A.  The IOC actually needs Europe more than ever, & it's literally now or never if they have any interest in restoring their image across Europe.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

But the IOC needs packed stadiums gushing fans financial assurances no transportation strikes. they just need good PR right now and LA could almost guarantee that. 

I don't what makes you think that Paris wouldn't give any of that either. London 2012 was a success in that regard, so I see Paris 2024 being no different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FYI said:

My question is, though, to all the L.A. boosters (which they've never come up with a feasible answer), if Europe is "so wrong" for 2024 with all the referendums & so forth, then how would 2028 be any better?! How is a "low-cost" Games in L.A. be beneficial to Europe when they "publicly fund" all of their Games?!

Cuz I don't see how L.A. changes that one way or the other, other than showing how L.A. can perhaps stage cost effective Games, but that would only pertain to L.A.  The IOC actually needs Europe more than ever, & it's literally now or never if they have any interest in restoring their image across Europe.

And then, for regaining the continent (Which it's still part of the Western World) which gave the Olympic movement, the medals and still money and spectators, why would LA regain that European confidence? Wouldn't have been better choosing a primal European bid with open chart to adapt it to the reality? Because this is the answer we didn't received for all the high L.A. stans, why would LA benefict Europe, when the European bids are esentially dropping like flies?

1 hour ago, FYI said:

I don't what makes you think that Paris wouldn't give any of that either. London 2012 was a success in that regard, so I see Paris 2024 being no different.

Selecting amnesia: just last year even under the threat of international terrorism and strike, they did a succesful Euro 2016 and just recently a Handball Championship. 

Euro 2016 didn't look so serene. Wasn't there bloody fights, terror scares , gang brawls in the streets and stadiums etc? Or was that just fake news?

this referendum thingy is just hilarious....really gonna throw a wrench in the GBs plan of a double award for Paris24-Paris28

Edited by paul

1 hour ago, paul said:

Euro 2016 didn't look so serene. Wasn't there bloody fights, terror scares , gang brawls in the streets and stadiums etc? Or was that just fake news?

-Bloody fights: Mostly from one match England - Russia, both teams which have a long history of hooliganism and disturbance in almost every place for football/soccer matches. 

-Gang Brawls: Ditto for the same match.

-Terror Scares: It was only one bomb threat during France-Germany match, which was solved without any casualties, and again this is related for my point: "Even with the terrorist threat". Unless you can't read properly my previous point and just want to spoil that hypsterian-contrarian path.

At this time, every Western country is susceptible of a terrorist attack in a huge event (Just recently USA had attacks in a disco in Orlando and Boston marathon). 

• Like 1

Roger, pay no mind to paul(ette) over there. They're just one big xenophobe. The irony, though, is that if any state in the U.S. can resemble France (or anywhere else in Europe, for that matter) it's California, ya know with bloody fights, gang brawls in the streets & bars & terror scares of their own. But of course, they're too blinded by their L.A. is all "sunshine & roses" colored glasses to take notice. And the even bigger irony, they claim that they don't even want the Games in L.A. anyway. So go F'n figure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paul said:

this referendum thingy is just hilarious....really gonna throw a wrench in the GBs plan of a double award for Paris24-Paris28

Just the typical crap caused by fans from certain Eastern european countries and the british hooligans. Once they got kicked out early from the Euro, peace was reestablished to the tournament. 

France was being paranoid at the moment with all the terrorism going on in the build up. Ironically the attack happened just after the let their guard down one week after the Euro (the Nice attack).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FYI said:

Roger, pay no mind to paul(ette) over there. They're just one big xenophobe. The irony, though, is that if any state in the U.S. can resemble France (or anywhere else in Europe, for that matter) it's California, ya know with bloody fights, gang brawls in the streets & bars & terror scares of their own. But of course, they're too blinded by their L.A. is all "sunshine & roses" colored glasses to take notice. And the even bigger irony, they claim that they don't even want the Games in L.A. anyway. So go F'n figure.

A Californian xenophobe? Quelle Surprise!