Jump to content

If Durban flops for 2032, who will head for 2032?


Recommended Posts

OK, granted Paris gets 2024; and LA goes for 2028 (in whichever manner these are handed out); and Durban has shot itself in the foot; who do you think, at this time, 15 years out, will shoot for 2032 and come close to getting it?  I believe first signs of interest have to be in by 2023; and then the selection will be in 2025.  It can't be a North American city, so it will probably be a European or Australian city. 

My guesses are Madrid, Melbourne or Brisbane.  Maybe Rome again???

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully Germany will finally be able to get a bid off the ground. Maybe Rome will finally get their house in order, too. I see Melbourne having a better chance than Brisbane. But they'll have to propose later dates. The earliest would probably be late Sept. to Early Oct. The Asians will undoubtedly also keep putting their names in the ring, too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that'd be great, too. Cuz I'd much rather see Istanbul than the likes of Doha-hah or Baku-koo. Istanbul is just so beautiful compared to those two despots. Even Dubai would be better. 2032 would really be up for grabs then if 2024 & 2028 get decided now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FYI said:

Yeah, that'd be great, too. Cuz I'd much rather see Istanbul than the likes of Doha-hah or Baku-koo. Istanbul is just so beautiful compared to those two despots. Even Dubai would be better. 2032 would really be up for grabs then if 2024 & 2028 get decided now.

And Turkey is still "European" enough (At least for Olympic/sport purposes).

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we go for regions:

 

Europe

-Istanbul - Hopefully better times may come

-Madrid - By 2032, they can finally get a reason to fight for an Olympics in Madrid

-Moscow/St. Petersburg - Not because I like this, but we know Russia will try again. Maybe not Putin directly, but watch for his succesor.

-Hamburg?/Munich? - Hopefully

-Rome?/Milan? - Let's see if the domestic disaster ends.

 

Asia:

-Shanghai - This time in Shanghai

-Seoul - Remember that region has national pride in competition :D

-Ahmedabad - If Modi continues in power.

-Doha - If somehow they pass the 2022 WC mess

 

Americas:

-Buenos Aires - They'll try, especially after Brazil.

 

Oceania:

-Sydney?/Brisbane?/Melbourne? - Now, it's possible for lack of names

 

Africa:

-If not South Africa, wait for another generation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For Asia, I think Busan, South Korea, also has chance.. I read somewhere they want to have it there.

For America, Guadalarjara maybe have chance if 2028 is not awarded to any American cities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Roger87 said:

If somehow Turkey returns to the democracy and get rid of Erdogan, then maybe Istanbul have another shot. But yep, without a realistic African bid, this goes to Europe vs. Australia.

 

The main problem with Istanbul is that the downtown city core is very dense and over-built!  It will be like Rio, with the main focus of action was Barra de Tijuaca, over an hour from the heart of old Rio + the other clusters.  VERY FAR.  God (or Allah) forbid a major terrorist attack in congested Istanbul and the carnage that will follow is horrific because it is too dense for hundreds of first responders to come and get the wounded out quickly.  

Tokyo is likewise dense but they will be using many of the downtown venues left over from 1964.  About 45% of LA's venues are also distant from the central LA axis, but at least LA has the freeway infrastructure and good Olympic shuttle system which they have perfected from 1984 plus all the other recent international events (like the Special Olympics in 2015) hosted there.  

Istanbul is problematic; Ankara (boring federal city) offers more space but not the cosmopolitan beauty of Istanbul.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

As I said at the top, Asia is already over-saturated.  So please do NOT include them in this discussion.  It is redundant.  

You mentioned nothing about Asia in your first post.  I agree it's unlikely, but it someone can make a reasonable case for it, then it's not redundant.  Please don't turn this into 1 of these threads where the intent is to discuss the cities you're interested in and not actually for others to offer their opinions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know decision time will be 8 years still and lots of stuff can happen, but any bid for 2032 must be ready to go in 6 years at the latest and I can't see a major opinion shift in Germany which would support a bid. I also understood the area suggested for Hamburg 2024 would not be available forever.

There are currently some pipe dreams about a Cologne/Ruhr bid in 2028 (provided we won't see a double in Lima), but that's being ridiculed here already.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zekekelso said:

Considering the Southern Hemisphere thing, shouldn't that be "looking down"?

you hemiphobe! last time i tried that line of reasoning i got shot down by faster and the pedants as there being 'no such thing' as up or down, and that australia is as rightside up as we are if you disregard our northern hemisphere bias. see: 

antipodes people: what do you do about globes?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

I know decision time will be 8 years still and lots of stuff can happen, but any bid for 2032 must be ready to go in 6 years at the latest and I can't see a major opinion shift in Germany which would support a bid. I also understood the area suggested for Hamburg 2024 would not be available forever.

There are currently some pipe dreams about a Cologne/Ruhr bid in 2028 (provided we won't see a double in Lima), but that's being ridiculed here already.

But, but, that schmuck (excuse me, "journalist") Alan AbRuffhamson says that Europe would be "lining up" for 2028 if L.A. was to get 2024. Including "a German city". So surely he's got to know what he's talking about! ^_^

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FYI said:

But, but, that schmuck (excuse me, "journalist") Alan AbRuffhamson says that Europe would be "lining up" for 2028 if L.A. was to get 2024. Including "a German city". So surely he's got to know what he's talking about! ^_^

Maybe he was spoken with many IOC members as El Mundo did in 2013.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is this Alan Abramson you queens keep masturbating about?

And I think we will very likely not see a South African bid in 2032. I just have this feeling that Durban will be left in financial disaster after the Commonwealth games that we won't see them attempt the games until 2036. And even if they lose hosting the CWG they won't have that experience to make them a worthy candidate for 2032.

So who else in Africa would likely put in a bid? Casablanca perhaps, or an Egyptian city. I certainly would like to see Madrid put in a bid. I don't see a German city surviving a referendum to host the games. Perhaps Berlin residents would definitely go for hosting in 2036 as a way of correcting the wrongs of the time they hosted 100yrs prior.

It certainly looks like it's Australia's to lose and if Sydney is not up to hostinh again, then perhaps Brisbane would be a risk worth taking. 8 years from now the city would have grown even more, and if they thought ahead then there may already be some Olympic-ready venues in place. Also there is no date conflicts like there would be with a Melbourne bid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

Who is this Alan Abramson you queens keep masturbating about?

And I think we will very likely not see a South African bid in 2032. I just have this feeling that Durban will be left in financial disaster after the Commonwealth games that we won't see them attempt the games until 2036. And even if they lose hosting the CWG they won't have that experience to make them a worthy candidate for 2032.

So who else in Africa would likely put in a bid? Casablanca perhaps, or an Egyptian city. I certainly would like to see Madrid put in a bid. I don't see a German city surviving a referendum to host the games. Perhaps Berlin residents would definitely go for hosting in 2036 as a way of correcting the wrongs of the time they hosted 100yrs prior.

It certainly looks like it's Australia's to lose and if Sydney is not up to hostinh again, then perhaps Brisbane would be a risk worth taking. 8 years from now the city would have grown even more, and if they thought ahead then there may already be some Olympic-ready venues in place. Also there is no date conflicts like there would be with a Melbourne bid.

http://www.3wiresports.com/

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

Who is this Alan Abramson you queens keep masturbating about?

If you've actually been paying attention around here, then you'd know the answer to that question (especially since you were just in the Paris online petition thread). Apparently he's a "somebody", but actually he's a nobody. But you can read a lot of his twaddle here; 

http://www.3wiresports.com/2017/02/22/perception-reality-olympic-games-must-change/

So read to your clits content. You'll need it as long-winded that his lastest piece of "journalism" is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...