Sign in to follow this  
anthonyliberatori

What is Needed to Bid for the Pan Am Games?

8 minutes ago, anthonyliberatori said:

Just curious as to what the requirements are in order to have a legitimate bid for the Games. Thanks to anyone who can help!

I imagine that it probably something similar to that of what is required for the regular Summer Olympics, but scaled down in capacity. I'm just wondering if there are any specifics as to what a city must have/build, must budget, and must promise in order to formulate a successful bid.

1 hour ago, anthonyliberatori said:

I imagine that it probably something similar to that of what is required for the regular Summer Olympics, but scaled down in capacity. I'm just wondering if there are any specifics as to what a city must have/build, must budget, and must promise in order to formulate a successful bid.

Some of the requirements are here:http://images.toronto2015.org/system/asset_pdfs/869/original/paso-statute-may-2010.pdf

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

Thank you so much, that helped a lot! I see that the USA hasn't hosted a PAG since 1987 in Indianapolis, so I was trying to think of whether or not any US cities could host them within the upcoming years.

3 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

Thank you so much, that helped a lot! I see that the USA hasn't hosted a PAG since 1987 in Indianapolis, so I was trying to think of whether or not any US cities could host them within the upcoming years.

They could but they would need solid political support and then again the USOC needs to get on board (though they don't seem to be interested).

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

They could but they would need solid political support and then again the USOC needs to get on board (though they don't seem to be interested).

I understand. Quite sad actually, I think the PAG movement in the US could definitely draw more interest within the country. Maybe once our administration changes or if LA 2024 fails could the possibility arise. I think cities like Philadelphia, San Diego, Baltimore, Washington DC, San Francisco, New Orleans and Seattle would be prime candidates. Not too large of cities, but they are definitely cities that could host a possible Olympic Games in the future if the amount of venues and international recognition is there. I highly doubt another Atlanta 1996 will ever be pulled again by choosing the non-world recognized underdog, especially considering the amount of cities worldwide that want to host the Olympics nowadays, but a PAM in the USA could up the possibility of a different US city hosting the Olympics.

San Antonio should have hosted in 2007, but the folks from Rio convinced PASO that SA was too crime-ridden to host the games. Well, if anyone should know....

I like that you are not required to have a 60000 seat stadium for athletics, and most of the venues are of a nice scale relative to the event. There are any number of American cities that possess a more than adequate sporting infrastructure in order to host. The problem is that the Pan Am Games fell off the nations's sporting radar after Indy in 1987.

I hope they do come back soon, I'd rather do another Pan Am Games before I ever attend another Olympics. It's easier on the finances and just as enjoyable.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:29 PM, BTHarner said:

San Antonio should have hosted in 2007, but the folks from Rio convinced PASO that SA was too crime-ridden to host the games. Well, if anyone should know....

I like that you are not required to have a 60000 seat stadium for athletics, and most of the venues are of a nice scale relative to the event. There are any number of American cities that possess a more than adequate sporting infrastructure in order to host. The problem is that the Pan Am Games fell off the nations's sporting radar after Indy in 1987.

I hope they do come back soon, I'd rather do another Pan Am Games before I ever attend another Olympics. It's easier on the finances and just as enjoyable.

I feel you. Plus if done correctly, it could help improve infrastructure, tourism, and put that given city on a higher pedestal when it comes to international presence. Could even prep a city for a future Olympic Games. LA is nice and all, but I wish another city could get the spotlight for a little. If Atlanta hadn't hosted 1996, there's no doubt in my mind that the city would be much different than it is today.

Most aquatic venues in recent games have been around 5000 capacity. According to Wikipedia, the venue for Lima 2019 will seat 9000. I think 5000 would be fine for any Games in America, given that the likes of Phelps and Lochte never bothered to compete in a Pan Am Games.

Adding to my previous reply, I have often wondered what it would take to bring the Games back and, frankly, I have trouble seeing how it could be a profitable venture. TV networks aren't going to throw money at you just for the privilege of broadcasting the Pan Am Games, and you can't price the tickets too high.Corporate support would be unpredictable and using public funds for sporting entities is anathema anymore. Add in all the political minefields that need to be navigated and it just seems to be an overwhelming task.    

Lima's will seat 4,000

Toronto's was 6k with temporary seating (and I believe that number included tribune seating, games family etc.)

Well now that it seems Santiago 2023 is a sure thing, I'd say that 2027 would be a great opportunity for the USA. Unfortunately, there hasn't been that much interest for the PanAms in the US, but of course of all nations in the Americas it has the largest number of cities that could pull of great games. Cities like San Francisco, San Antonio, Dallas, Seattle, Philadelphia, Boston, Minneapolis perhaps? And in my heart, I'd really say I'd like to see Detroit host the PanAms.... even though I know that's really a long shot.

15 hours ago, rubio said:

Well now that it seems Santiago 2023 is a sure thing, I'd say that 2027 would be a great opportunity for the USA. Unfortunately, there hasn't been that much interest for the PanAms in the US, but of course of all nations in the Americas it has the largest number of cities that could pull of great games. Cities like San Francisco, San Antonio, Dallas, Seattle, Philadelphia, Boston, Minneapolis perhaps? And in my heart, I'd really say I'd like to see Detroit host the PanAms.... even though I know that's really a long shot.

PASO is going to open a office in Miami in July. Miami might not be a stretch for 2027...

On 6/13/2017 at 4:41 AM, rubio said:

I would like to see almost any of these cities host a PanAm Games, specifically Boston, Philly, or SanFran. But now with LA 2028, that could act as a repellent and push away certain cities in the US that are considering, fearing their preparations and work may be overshadowed. 2031 may be most likely, because with a possible FIFA WC in 2026, LA 2028, and a possible Winter Olympics in either 2026 or 2030, whichever US city decides to bid for PanAm could use the other host's successes and failures to milk out the most successful of all of those Games in that 5 year time frame. 

However, I don't think the USOC would want to entertain that kind of event with not one, but two possible Olympics on its plate. I think if LA would've lost to Paris and the double award wouldn't have happened, it would've been a perfect time for a city like Boston, Seattle, Philly, or even LA, to step up and host the Pan Am Games for 2027 or 2031, but ultimately, it likely will not happen until 2035, and only if there is interest.