Puppy goes 'Poro. A blog I will probably neglect.

thatsnotmypuppy

So the day has come.

BNE to NRT this morning on the big red roo. Overnight in Narita and then JQ to Sapporo tomorrow afternoon.

As it stands it looks like I'm seeing two Ice Hockey sessions (one may actually be a decent game), short track speed skating, ski jumping, curling as well as the Opening Ceremony in the Sapporo Dome.

I looked into doing a day trip to Obihiro for the 'long track' speed skating - thought better about it though. Not that practical.

Looks like there is a ton of snow falling so hopefully no delays flightwise. There is a chance of blizzard conditions when I'm meant to be at the ski jumping so let's see how that goes.

So I begin this blog with the best of intentions...

Stay tuned...

qzexzmf.jpg

Good morning from Narita - home to endless fuckking commuter trains rattling past my hotel window from 4am...  Time for breakfast and then an early afternoon flight to Sapporo. 

While checking in the receptionist asked why I was in Japan again (was here two months ago) and after explaining it was for the Asian Winter Games I received a beffudled blank look. The immigration guy also gave me this look. And my Tokyo mate Paul who made the arduous trek out to Narita from Maihama for dinner. Hmm. The Sapporans needed to do a bit more domestic advertising...

Anyhow. More later.

And due to high winds all flights on JQ to Chitose have been cancelled this afternoon and due to the flow on of earlier cancellations I can't get on a flight until Sunday afternoon - meaning I miss the opening ceremony. Stay tuned kids. I'm checking JAL and the shinkansen to Hakodate...

1 hour ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

And due to high winds all flights on JQ to Chitose have been cancelled this afternoon and due to the flow on of earlier cancellations I can't get on a flight until Sunday afternoon - meaning I miss the opening ceremony. Stay tuned kids. I'm checking JAL and the shinkansen to Hakodate...

hope you can find alternative way to Sapporo. ganbatte.

• Like 1

Jetstar can't get me there until Sunday night.  Sadly since this is a partial "work trip" my other options are limited. The train can only get me to Hakodate as due to ski season there are few options. 

So tomorrow I'll attempt stand by with JAL. I looked into Vanilla Air and as with ANA/JAL they are overbooked (though are still selling seats - idiots).

The cancellations today have a huge roll on effect. Sigh. If I can't get there tomorrow I'm taking the evening flight to Hong Kong.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

• 2 weeks later...

So - it didn't happen.

Basically we were booked on a flight that ended up being cancelled due to high wind at Narita.  The flight we were rebooked on the next day was cancelled due to heavy snow at New Chitose Airport.  Due to these ongoing cancellations we were not able to rebook onto any flight until Monday evening - which meant I'd miss the opening and two other sports sessions.  As such we flew to Hong Kong via Haneda instead as there wasn't much point hanging out in Tokyo with nothing to do.  

Once in HK we tried to grab the Cathay direct into Sapporo as that was marked as still flying - and then that was also cancelled due to the snow.  A last ditch effort was made on the Sunday from Osaka (flew back into Japan as I had a work meeting either way on the following Thursday) so I could at least attend the ski jumping (which ended up being delayed anyway).  No go.  All flights/trains etc were overbooked/cancelled.

So I watched online like the rest of you.  Thoroughly disappointing - but this is not the first time I have had weather related delays flying into Sapporo, Sigh.

Made the best of it though - went to Nara, Kyoto and Kobe.