Jump to content
GBModerator

US President Trump Says LA 2024 Olympic Games Would “Be Terrific”

Recommended Posts

For the first time since his surprise election victory in November, U.S. President Donald Trump spoke publicly about Los Angeles’ bid for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games and how his immigration policy might impact the campaign to return the Games to the city for the third time. Speaking to Westwood One Sports Radio Sunday […]

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is most of the world will just assume this is an outright lie like everything else he's said so far. Not helping LA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LA bid died the moment this wreck entered the White House. I'm sorry for those who supported the bid though, but I really don't see this happening. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GBModerator said:

For the first time since his surprise election victory in November, U.S. President Donald Trump spoke publicly about Los Angeles’ bid for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games and how his immigration policy might impact the campaign to return the Games to the city for the third time. Speaking to Westwood One Sports Radio Sunday […]

View the full article

@GBModerator, I never knew you were a Russophobe, but it must be true, this Kremlinbot says so! :lol:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=138210545&postcount=1143

Seriously though, I never know whether accounts like these are real people or not....so weird.

 

 

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who is thoroughly against him and stand against everything he says and does, I say this, if he's backing the bid I think it's going to win. That sounds so weird but I am actually really shocked he is publicly supporting the bid.

I know some of you might be saying that he has too because he's president but you all need to remember this is Donald Trump a man that flies off the handle at any preconceived slight and Mayor Garcetti has not been one of his closest friends to say the least. the comment that he earlier made about Trump causing concern among Olympic Voters did not go unnoticed. 

Trump is a man that despite every despicable thing he said and did managed to win the US election not off of emotions of the voters but logistics, for some reason he knows how to pick a winner. If he doesn't get along with the mayor of LA and the bid is going against his travel ban I am left to question what is his motive for supporting the bid since Trump is a 5 year old temper tantrum malice holding individual? And I know it isn't his bid but I sense he's trying to maneuver himself to say that if LA wins it's because of him. (The narcissistic jackass)

 

I just felt uneasy when I found out he was so gleefully supporting the bid even though The city, the Mayor and the bid committee are so against him and his policies

 

The race might be more in reach for LA than even the most ardent LA supporters think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Rob. said:

@GBModerator, I never knew you were a Russophobe, but it must be true, this Kremlinbot says so! :lol:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=138210545&postcount=1143

Seriously though, I never know whether accounts like these are real people or not....so weird.

 

 

" This Livingstone guy in addition to being a Russophobe is a sloppy journalist "

well.... you know what they say about broken clocks and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I guess anything to those who want to justify an L.A. win no matter what, I suppose. Just like the Trump supporters who voted for him will justify anything that he does. :rolleyes:

The vote is a SECRET ballot. So whatever sweet nothings (if any) are being whispered into Trumps oompa loompa ear, mean nothing really. The USOC had recieved "confirmations of support" for the 2016 bid, which needless to say, meant absolutely nothing in the end. Like someone else said in the L.A. thread, if Trump knows that none of his actions would effect the L.A. then he would say a definite "no", then "I don't know". Your analysis is just grasping at (desperate) straws, IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it would be so funny to see GB burn down if LA won 24 but reality on the ground in LA is NOBODY CARES.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what mean. It would so funny to see all the L.A. "groupies" here blow up if Paris won! Then to see GB's actually "burn down" with a "New" L.A. vs "New" Toronto 2028 battle-royale!! :lol::P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

......I really think the "groupies" know Paris will win.....it won't be a big shock to get over.  Toronto vs LA reminds me of the BIG rivalry of SF vs LA..........nobody in LA knows about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FYI said:

I know what mean. It would so funny to see all the L.A. "groupies" here blow up if Paris won! Then to see GB's actually "burn down" with a "New" L.A. vs "New" Toronto 2028 battle-royale!! :lol::P

Pretty sure LA said if they lost 2024, they wouldn't bid for 2028. Actually, the USOC itself won't as per their own word. Might not be a battle royal after all in 2028

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Pretty sure LA said if they lost 2024, they wouldn't bid for 2028. Actually, the USOC itself won't as per their own word. Might not be a battle royal after all in 2028

Of course they say that now before the 2024 vote is even cast. But if L.A. loses 2024 (& there's no double 2024/2028 award afterall), then who knows what the USOC will do once the dust settles from the 2024 loss. As you said before North America will be the most "overdue" (barring [South] Africa) continent by the time 2028 rolls around. So the USOC would be totally foolish to refrain from a 2028 race. So I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you, if that was the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FYI said:

Of course they say that now before the 2024 vote is even cast. But if L.A. loses 2024 (& there's no double 2024/2028 award afterall), then who knows what the USOC will do once the dust settles from the 2024 loss. As you said before North America will be the most "overdue" (barring [South] Africa) continent by the time 2028 rolls around. So the USOC would be totally foolish to refrain from a 2028 race. So I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you, if that was the case.

Why would I hold my breath. That USOC submit another bid or not doesn't make a difference to me. Toronto bidding is still not official and hasn't even been on City Council radar yet, so Toronto 2028 is premature. A lot is going here so we'll see. By no battle royal, I include Toronto as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Pretty sure LA said if they lost 2024, they wouldn't bid for 2028. Actually, the USOC itself won't as per their own word. Might not be a battle royal after all in 2028

They never said that and the reporting on it was pretty sketchy.  And yea, like FYI said, they're saying that now.  If they lose 2024, let's see how quickly they change their tune on that one.  The USOC has bid in 3 of the past 4 cycles and their reasons for sitting out 2020 don't apply here.  Safer bet that they'll be back for 2028 than not returning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

They never said that and the reporting on it was pretty sketchy.  And yea, like FYI said, they're saying that now.  If they lose 2024, let's see how quickly they change their tune on that one.  The USOC has bid in 3 of the past 4 cycles and their reasons for sitting out 2020 don't apply here.  Safer bet that they'll be back for 2028 than not returning.

Ok, which city? L.A again or New York?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To quote Bryce Harper.. "that's a clown question, bro"

It'll be LA.  I don't see a bid coming from NYC for a long time.  LA is in this for the long haul.  They're not going to pack it in after 1 attempt like New York (who was ready to move on) or Chicago (who ran into some bad timing and got soured on the experience).  LA can talk all they want about how this is all about 2024 and right now it is, but if they're given the opportunity to bid again for 2028, I would be very surprised to not see them take it.  It's not like they haven't been rejected before (including getting passed over for Boston), so to me, that's a good indication they're not ready to give this up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Pretty sure LA said if they lost 2024, they wouldn't bid for 2028. 

No, they never said that (feel free to provide a quote if I'm wrong). All they've said is they are focused on 2024. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

No, they never said that (feel free to provide a quote if I'm wrong). All they've said is they are focused on 2024. 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-usoc-future-bids-20170111-story.html

U.S. Olympic Committee puts full weight behind LA 2024 bid, ruling out 2028 as consolation prize              
 

Quote

 

According to U.S. Olympic Committee documents made public Wednesday, if a rival candidate is chosen for 2024 — Paris and Budapest are also in the running — L.A. would not accept the consolation prize of hosting in 2028.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-usoc-future-bids-20170111-story.html

U.S. Olympic Committee puts full weight behind LA 2024 bid, ruling out 2028 as consolation prize              
 

 

1) Those are the reporters words, not the LA 2024's words. It's a terrible bit of reporting. Take a look at what the committee actually said.

2) Even if the committee said it wouldn't accept 2028 as a consolation prize (which, I emphasize they absolutely did not) that doesn't mean they wouldn't run again. 

Read. Comprehend. Be smarter. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-usoc-future-bids-20170111-story.html

U.S. Olympic Committee puts full weight behind LA 2024 bid, ruling out 2028 as consolation prize              
 

I guess you missed this then..

Exclusive: Mayor promises Los Angeles will support IOC if it changes bid process

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

1) Those are the reporters words, not the LA 2024's words. It's a terrible bit of reporting. Take a look at what the committee actually said.

2) Even if the committee said it wouldn't accept 2028 as a consolation prize (which, I emphasize they absolutely did not) that doesn't mean they wouldn't run again. 

Read. Comprehend. Be smarter. 

 

Quote

According to U.S. Olympic Committee documents...

Don't lower yourself to insults because I'm reporting a Los Angeles paper using the USOC own documents as a source!!!

Sure doesn't mean they'll keep their words but this is what they are saying...not me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×