Russia Considering 2028 Summer Olympic Games Bid – Sochi Not Ruled Out As Host

GBModerator

Despite the ongoing state-sponsored doping scandal that has had major sports events removed from Russia, its teams barred from competing at the Olympic and Paralympic Games, and a call by sports officials – including those from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to exclude the nation from future hosting opportunities – Russia is considering a bid […]

View the full article

2 hours ago, GBModerator said:

Despite the ongoing state-sponsored doping scandal that has had major sports events removed from Russia, its teams barred from competing at the Olympic and Paralympic Games, and a call by sports officials – including those from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to exclude the nation from future hosting opportunities – Russia is considering a bid […]

View the full article

Wait, is Russia officially completely banned from participating in the Olympics and paralympics, or is it just certain individual sports that are banned on the Olympic side and an entire paralympic ban?

To me, this is just a provocation by the ROC at a time when it should really have its back at the wall.

They know they have little to fear from the IOC with Bach in charge, so instead of dealing with their doping scandal, they just pull that rabbit out.

I wad actually surprised they didn't already go for 2024 with St Petersburg - as a farewell gift to Putin's last (?) term...

If the IOC was a transparent organization I would laugh at the idea, but considering how Bach backpedaled last year with the doping thing, i'm afraid Putin has the IOC by the balls. Oh well maybe this way more people will realize how greedy and uncaring they have become today. 

• Like 1

With this latest Russian tidbit, I'm sure it's enough to make the IOC queasy. Cuz they're not wanting another PR nightmare with Sochi, nor incredibly scenic Kazan, nor anywhere else in Putin-burg. Then add places like Doha-hah & Baku-koo to the "bidding" mix, & I'm sure it make the IOC think more & more about that double-award, combo-deal as of late.

15 hours ago, zekekelso said:

If they can get a buffoon elected POTUS, I'm pretty sure they can rid an IOC election. Wonder what kind of dirt Putin has on IOC voters. 

But why Sochi? And why suggest Kazan and not even mention Moscow?

They probaly suggested those two because they have newer venues. The last time Moscow bid they had serious improvements they needed to make and I highly doubt the city has changed too much from that time.

Both Sochi and Kazan have hosted international sporting events so they have some experience, but they lack the size, and maybe even international recognition to host an event like the Summer Olympics I think.

I also think they wanted to suggest options that weren't the heart of the government as to somewhat distance themselves from all the bullshit they've gotten themselves into, but I doubt that would have made much of a difference.

I'm not so happy with Russia lately - but I must admit a St. Petersburg Olympics would be amazing. The idea of Sochi hosting the SOG is interesting too - and is entirely capable with its infrastructure heavy investment for 2014 and 2018. 

There is something random about Kazan, seems like a Russian Atlanta. 

On 13/01/2017 at 9:36 PM, MissEurasia said:

Where's Moscow? I'd rather see them bid over Sochi, Kazan or St. Petersburg would be nice too.

The Luzniki has been turned into a football stadium. Track has gone.

Obviously the IOC should be going nowhere near Russia for a while though.

Edited by Rob.