Sign in to follow this  
Sir Rols

Havana 2032 Victory Announcement/Ceremonie D'Annonce

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen, Mesdames et Monsieurs,

And Hola! Welcome to Havana. I hope you've enjoyed your cruise on our slow boat from Hamburg, but all good things must come to an end. Tonight we reach the culmination of our journey to choose this year's logo winner, a journey that took us from the wilderness of Nepal to the streets of Hamburg and now to the delights of tropical Havana. On the way we've crowned an all-time logo winner, a winter games logo winner and now we are set to add another name to our pantheon of summer logo winning designers. I want to thank everyone who entered this year - these comps couldn't go on at all without your keenness to put pixel to page and your willingness to share your ideas and put them up for appraisal by our tough judging panel. It's not easy - I know all too well - so I salute you all and give you my heartfelt thanks. I also want to thank everyone who voted - I hope it's given you a bit of diversion and something fun to do on the board. And it's true, you all are a discerning and knowledgeable audience. You always come up with a winning entry that's truly worthy to crown at the end.

Anyway, to make the winner's announcement, I'm going to hand over to our special guest presenter who has flown into Havana by special request to associate with winners. Senors, Senoras and Comrades I give your, ahead of his inauguration as most powerful man in the western world, US President-Elect Donald Deejay Trump! 

DJT: Thank you Mr Rols. Aint you glad you didn't sign Alec Baldwin now. Who better to crown a winner to than me. And I can tell you, I've grabbed a few winning pussies in my time. And it's great to be here to support GamesBids and build walls with Mr Castro. Vlad was just telling me the other day that Cuba's not that bad a spot and i gotta agree with him now. It'd make a great new State. But I get ahead of myself, I'm here to crown a winner instead of that loser Mr Bach or that crook Hillary.  That's what I'm great at. And I think it all gives you all great pleasure and honour to be here to hear me declare that Miss Universe 2017 is... errr... the winner of the 10th Annual GamesBids Logo Competition is.....

Mr Daveypodmore with Havana 2032!

NMgxAr.jpg

Main_logo.jpg

Sir Rols: Thank you Mr President-Elect. We hope you'll grace us at future logo comp announcements. And congratulations to Davey. For the record, the voting was 10 to four in favour of your Havana logo. About time you've made it to another win in the comps. I'm surprised it's taken so long. You now join the list of our multiple award winners like Demetrius, DannyelBrazil, aismanggo... and Paul. Also again, congratulations to Paul for taking out the Winners' Cup last month, and following that up with your Kathmandu win. I think all our winners this year were very fitting.

And that's it for this year. Again, thanks to everyone who got involved an a big thanks to Yoshi for your moral support and advice. All that's left now is to say Hasta La Vista, invite you all to have a taco in memory and tribute to TeamBlakeUSA and let's all let our hair down and mambo!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2

Well, that's actually not all. One last announcement to make.

But before i do that, I wanna thank you all for persevering with this year's logo comp and making it a fun one. Yoshi was asking me the other day how i thought it had went, and I answered that it was the Rio 2016 of logo comps - not as bad or lacklustre as I feared, not as i great as I might have hoped in my most optimistic dreams. But I did have lots of fun, nevertheless. Even chasing down TeamBlake gave me a lot of fun, and i was really glad to see we got a respectable tally of very high quality logos in, the return of such heavyweights as Paul and Davey, some really good new talent emerge from the likes of JO2024 and Glacib, old timers like Scotguy go further than he has before and some good voting figures show up at the end. Thanks, and I hope you all had a bit of fun as well. That's what I've done it for after all, to give the board a bit of diversion at holiday time.

It was also good that it all turned out well at the end because, well, that's my final logo comp. I want to announce that I'm hanging up my hat and retiring from the logo comp organising game and leaving the field for some fresh blood to take on the task. I was actually ready to do it at the end of last year's comp, but I felt it would be a bit self-indulgent of me to do a GamesBids style grand farewell, only to be lured back again. I wasn't even sure if I'd do one this year, but Yoshis World Cup comp mid last year also gave me a lot of fun to help out with, and it seemed to go off well. I  started thinking of doing one last comp - what trued out to be Kathmandu and Havana/Hamburg - at that time. I was also thinking of doing the Logo Winners' Cup around Rio time, but well, thought it would be a distraction from the games and i was a bit rushed at the time. I'm glad now i saved it up for December - it helped in the promotion of this year's original comp. It was an idea that had been coming a long time - it'd been suggested for years now  - but I had to strike while we had a multiple of four entries to divide up into pools. Otherwise I might have waited to now after this year's new batch of winners. But Kathmandu and Havana have set the scene for the next batch of winning entries for a second cup in future. And I didi wanna do that before I rode off into the sunset.

Anyway, hang it, I'm gonna be self indulgent now. And I'm not even saying I might not be enticed back, but at this stage, i sure don't plan to. I've really enjoyed doing the comps over the years - for all the frustrations they've sometimes given - and been chuffed when I've got thanks and good feedback from people. It seems people have enjoyed them, and that's been a great reward. I certainly don't think the comps are done or over and dusted yet, but it is long time i move aside and let someone else have a go who could appoach them with new enthusiasm and ideas. I know Yoshi's keen to have a crack and I hope you let him have a go. As I told him as well, someone else may also want to have a go - there's no prescription or entitlement to who can organise a comp here. I'm ready and offer to give advice and assistance to anyone who does want to give it a try. But I'll also try not to be too meddlesome or opinionated on how to do it. I can easily see I might end up having to start poll threads or get artwork ready for judging. I'm certainly not leaving the board, but I'm looking forward to just sitting back and spectating, or even participating as an entrant, in the future.

I can't leave without a few special thank yous. Firstly and foremost to Puppy. He got these comps started and introduced many of the formulas that helped them work so well. I even felt a bit of an interloper when I first jumped in for him when he had to absent himself during one. If he ever wanted to reclaim them, I can't say I wouldn't have been a bit disappointed, but I wouldn't have hesitated. Thanks Pups, I hope I've followed your example.

I'd also like to single out CAF, Rob. and Yoshi, who all at various time offered support, assistance ideas and advice during various comps. Yoshi, in particular, has given me a kick in the arse the past few years to keep them going. And, of course to Rob Livingstone, for giving us the venue to have these comps, and also joining in and supporting them at times - I was glad to see you as a regular voter in very round this year Rob.

I wanna thank anyone and everyone who's entered over the years. I've often said how tough it is to put yourself out there for judgement, and I sure felt that first-hand this year (and in Yoshi's WC comp). I'll single out three in particular though. Paul, first and foremost. What a legend you became in the comps. You've stamped them as your own. I'v always thought how scary it musty be for others to enter once they've seen you throw a submission in. But to people's credit, they usually rose to the challenge. You deserved all those wins Paul. maybe I'll compete against you in future. Then there's Davey, again another legend, who I'm sure would have won more than the two he has so far if he hadn't come up against some of Paul's best and brightest. I was always glad when Davey joined in - I've said before, it made them feel "legitimate" once that happened. And aismanggo, another perennial tough entrant who deserve to win the two h did. I tried to chase him up for this year, but only managed to get in touch with him just before NYE - he said he might enter but it was probably too late. 

And also let me give a shout out to comp "characters", like Krow - I loved how you made your red carpet reviews a traditional part of the comps (missed you after Kathmandu this year, though). Baron - well, you always managed to stir the pot, positively and negatively. But as I've told Yoshi in the past, scandal was always good for the comps. I feared a boring comp more than one with lots of scandal, spats and intrigues in them. Any publicity was good publicity. 

If I've forgotten anyone, and I'm sure there's a few, sorry. Maybe I'll rectify it and give a shout out later. Or maybe just take it as said.

Anyway, as I asked, let me be self indulgent. I've been thinking through a lot of what I'd say here now while this year's comp was going on. I wouldn't wanna go out with mentioning a few personal favourite times. My favourite comps? That would be the Paris and New York ones - I think the comps were at their peak then and attracted the best entries and participation. Toronto was probably the most successful comp - I think it had the largest field of entries by far and the biggest tally over of voters - I think we got more than 40 votes in one round! But Paris and NYC had a special place in my heart. My favourite entry? Well, that would be telling. But let me say, I thought the Winners' Cup would be fought out between Davey's Paris, Paul's NYC, Paul's Tokyo or Paul's Durban (and, yes, I know i could have put Durban further in it with a tiebreak vote, but as I explained to him, I was after diversity in the entrants that got though. Maybe it was wrong of me, but I've always wanted to encourage as much participation and diversity as I could in the comps). Favourite moments? Maybe Baron's and Bigdrew's fisticuffs no the floor of the UN security council. Also, picking the musical acts - I know they're just fluff and peripheral to the real comp, but I had fun picking booking the entertainers for the announcements. Like my photoshopping - again peripheral fluff, but I enjoy and am better at the photoshopping than I am at coming up with original graphic designs. Low points? Well, I did get very frustrated with some of the witch-hunting against the Malaysian twins when that was at its hight. Though, like the plagiarism scandals - all scandal was good in terms of bringing life and spice to the comps. Dropped balls? Eurovision voting and giving everyone a free-for-all for city selection. My advice to future comp organisers? Keep them simple, don't drag things out and avoid having to make decisions - don't be draconian about anything that you can't throw back on the membership to vote on.

Okay, I think you've indulged me enough. That's it for me. Sir Rols out.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 4

*takes torch*
*drops torch*
*picks torch up again*
Hello, and thank you Rols - for that intro, this comp, & for everything you've done over the years with these. And that lovely farewell - you even had me a bit emotional there :P Although I'm not sure how much moral support I've given you - maybe that's one for the PM convo :lol: And of course congrats to Davey, whose win was never in doubt. Literally. Anyway, if I do end up being the one to take this thing on, I will be a democrat, & as such, while we're still thinking about the logo comp & its future, I do have a couple of things to ask you all. 

First of all, if any of you have any ideas for additions, alterations or changes that could help the logo comp continue to thrive here, please say them. I'd like you to suggest them in the thread too, to get a debate going among all. I've long suspected that there are great format/organisational ideas harboured by those here who have simply never taken the plunge to host a comp. 
Secondly (consider this to be my first contribution to the above), how would everybody feel if the next Olympic comp were moved from the Christmas/New Year period 17/18, to launch on the 2024 host election night this September? My thinking is that we had a relatively small field this time, & having it on at what will probably be the board's biggest night since 2009 would get maximum exposure. My guess is that it'd end around Halloween. I'm not committed to anything, so I want to hear your thoughts. 
Meantime, once again, congrats Davey & Paul, thank you to Rols, & to Pups, & to Rob (that's RobL), & to everyone brave enough to put their design in front of this famously discerning crowd. And, if I do, I look forward to potentially seeing you all (& hopefully more) for the 11th annual comp. 
*drops mic*
*mic breaks*
Oops. 

i think that it was a wonderful 10-year journey. the talent was impressive, the scandals dramatic, and the discussions lively. rols did an admirable job and will be missed. with that said, i think a long break is in order, maybe a permanent one. i'd be in favor of a well-deserved retirement.

Congratulation to the winner...davey! 2 gorgeous designs. I joined GB around 7 years ago, i was inspired to join the comps because of all your cool London signature designs....they were amazing and fun and always slick. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me.

Congrats to everyone who entered and showed their hard work and talent, it's amazing to see everyone's work and just see how different people use color, shapes ideas etc.

My first logo comp was Aomori, Puppy was running the comp and I remember making little rows of Aomori banners and getting so excited about my little fantasy graphics package. It was super fun and I caught the bug. After that I think Rols took over the comps and it's been an amazing ride and so much fun. Thank you Rols for all your fun and funny intros, commentary, announcements, photoshopping, music, and humor. You always showed patience and good judgement, it's little sad to see all those comps and years fly away so fast.

Here's to you Rols...thank you..........CHEERS! CHEERS! CHEERS!

• Like 1

Woot - thanks for the shout out and very, very well done.   I don't know if I would have had the energy to keep it going this long so well played Rols.

I've toyed with doing a bid competition or resurrecting the "inappropriate bids" competition but I think for now GB has kind of slipped into it's dotage.  I'm all for a Yoshi revolution - but feel that we are definitely preaching to the converted which is just a little bit sad.

Thank you all for the kind words. People placing work in this forum always inspires me. Its easy to come on here and complain and criticise but to come on here and put your work on display for people to view and comment on is a really brave thing to do.

I love seeing the logos and what people do with them. Paul always does fantastic work, like Sir Rols has said, he owns these competitions and I think he has inspired a hell of a lot of people putting his stuff out there.

Sir Rols you are a legend. I don't feel like this site is what it used to be but you are the constant, gentlemanly (is that a word?) thread running through it.

Its been a blast, everyone, a real blast. And as they say 'Don't cry because its ended, smile because it happened'

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 6:12 AM, daveypodmore said:

Its easy to come on here and complain and criticise

fun, too.

Hey - why all the negativity & past tenses? The comp isn't dying, simply regenerating - it's evolving. Whether it'll live up to the glory days remains to be seen, but if I take it on, then I'm gonna give it a damn good go. With your help - I'd still like to hear if any participants, current, former, or future, have any big ideas :)

yeah, about that, yosh. i was speaking recently with a very prominent GB a-lister and we both agreed that we're not exactly sure you have the status to host a major comp. hosting comps, especially the logo one, is sort of the big leagues and we're just not sure you're "there" yet, enthusiasm aside. it has, after all, a reputation for quality to maintain.

what may end up happening is that we have a comp to see who will host the next comp, which very well could be won by nobody.

sorry, but being chosen by rols out of desperation does not make it your divine right.

C'mon, Yoshi's already done two pretty good logo comps for the CWGs and the WC. The WC especially I thought went well. If he's keen to do it, well, then it's just up to whether anyone wants to enter. That's the question - it would have been nice to have some more enter this year already, but we had enough. It'll really depend on how the board's faring come next time. And how Paul's feeling.

Desperation. Hey, all I've done is I've just opted for a quieter Xmas-NY break. Funnily enough, it was easier for me to do the comps when I "worked" over the Xmas-NY period. Up to a few years ago, work in those weeks involved going into the office, posting the latest comp polls or updates on GamesBids, and then phoning PRs to see who'd take me out to lunch in the absense of anything else to do. Now I've got the time off, lately I've had an impatient partner hassling me to "stop all that GamesBids sh!t and let's go to the beach/movies/shopping". I'd like to see the comps continue, and view them from the spectator stands, but it's not as if I'm desperate to protect a legacy or anything.

As to Yoshi's timing querey - like anything here, it's up to when anyone wants tio do it. The comps just sorta fell into place as a December-January fixture. Considering that IOC vote week is likely to be the most active time on the board this year, it might make a lot of sense. Up to you. 

Edited by Sir Rols

OOOps sorry I thought it was all over. Im sure Yoshi will do a fabulous job and I look forward to watching the future competitions

Im at a bit of a junction in my life and I've decided to take the rocky unlit path. So I would like to announce my retirement from the competitions. I had a good go but for me its time to move on to other things, maybe Obama and I should do a collaboration or something, I hear he is in the same position.

I hope the competitions go from strength to strength as the next generation steps up to the plate. Cheers guys.

I never said it was a divine right. Anyone can have a crack - you'll notice I've always said 'if I do it'. Maybe you could have a go, krow. I think you'd be good at comp hosting actually. Pups might wanna take it back - who am I to stand in the way of the original comp founder? Maybe Blake might wanna try :lol: It all depends on what happens really. Oh & sorry to hear that Davey, but I'm sure that whoever does it & however it's done, you'll see the words 'logo comp' somewhere & you won't be able to resist :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GBModerator said:

Any thoughts on an all-star logo contest?  Bring back all of the past winners and vote on the best?  This could be promoted on our Facebook page.

We did - you voted in it. And if i remember, it was for the winner, Paul's Burnos Aires, as well.

Pity, would have been good to put it on Facebook.