Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now I will recapitulate the Rings Formations segments on the Opening Ceremonies of the WG. Sarajevo 1984. It seems to be the very first ring formation segment for the WG.    Calga

I'm going to say 2 things that are most likely highly cynical and potentially a result of my impending march towards my mid 30s..... But I honestly hope we don't see any unification flag of the K

Unpopular opinion: I didn't like Sochi 2014. Lacked heart. Felt just like a big two hour propaganda video. Sure it looked cool, but it was what I expected from Russia. Impressive, but lacking heart an

Official aerial pics of the Olympic Stadium during today's concert, from the PC2018 Facebook account

23213052_10155776190748419_5236847745003

23270436_10155776190753419_1629734501100

23213007_10155776187603419_3065612283060

23270108_10155776187633419_3559986829666

23131634_10155776187703419_3560456479901

 

Also, some screenshots I took from the concert video. Considering the outher rink of the floor wasn't even used and it will be for 2018, i think the space is big enough for the ceremonies. Also it seems the ramp leading to the cauldron aren't going to be stairs as I initially thought. I wonder how the final torchbearer will arrive to the cauldron in that case. 

yuuoSME.png

b3SidCC.png

USbF4LT.png

is3JvoY.png

RrovHYH.png

lKzkHmF.png

j75F7I1.png

x7Z9b7r.png

 

Another thing. During the concert there was this little segment of a guy using VR Technology to draw a winter athlete on the screen, hinting the use of this technology for 2018. 

rEDpe23.png

pSjNDgA.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Considering the outher rink of the floor wasn't even used and it will be for 2018, i think the space is big enough for the ceremonies. Also it seems the ramp leading to the cauldron aren't going to be stairs as I initially thought. I wonder how the final torchbearer will arrive to the cauldron in that case. 

RrovHYH.png

 

Yes, the performance space is about the same width as the field of play in a football stadium, which should be enough to create a sense of scale. As for the cauldron lighting- maybe they plan to try a ski-jump in reverse ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Via Instagram with the use of a translator, apparently a couple of people indeed complained about the weather being too cold to the point they couldn't feel their legs :P . 

Also its not even Winter yet and it's been snowing already in Pyeongchang since two days. Guess we shouldn't worry about lack of snow (unlike Beijing)

23161393_2248001105225599_68380115865111

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Yes, the performance space is about the same width as the field of play in a football stadium, which should be enough to create a sense of scale. As for the cauldron lighting- maybe they plan to try a ski-jump in reverse ...

I was kind of thinking maybe the the ramp can turn into steps, on a similar way the steps leading to Rio 2016 Cauldron during the Paralympics became wheelchair ramps allowing the final torchbearer to reach it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp....I guess we can't say we were warned. :unsure:

7 spectators get hypothermia at Olympic Stadium in PyeongChang

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20171105000178

Quote

Seven people were stricken with hypothermia at an event for the newly completed PyeongChang Olympic Stadium on Saturday, raising alarm as to the serious lack of protection against cold weather for spectators at the venue. 


According to local news channel YTN, medics treated seven audience members at the scene who became hypothermic after hours of exposure to the cold air at the stadium, which lacks a roof.

The opening event, which included a large K-pop concert, was attended by some 30,000 people who sat in the open air for hours on a windy night in temperatures of around 3 degrees Celsius.

The need for a protective roof on the main stadium had been raised multiple times by lawmakers since its design phase in 2015, but was eventually dismissed due to opposition from the Culture Ministry, which quoted budget issues.

The opening and closing ceremonies of the previous three Winter Games -- held in Sochi, Russia, Vancouver, Canada, and Turin, Italy -- were all held in roofed stadiums.

The weather during the Winter Games in February is expected to be much colder than at Saturday’s opening event. According to the Korea Meteorological Administration, the average temperature in PyeongChang last February was minus 4.8 degrees.

And this was just at 3 degree celsius. Much lower temperatures are expected on February 9.

They still have time to take measures to avoid an embarassment (ceremonies director mentioned something about handing over blankets and hot packs to people) but i doubt any future host will want to make ceremonies out in the open anymore after this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Welp....I guess we can't say we were warned. :unsure:

7 spectators get hypothermia at Olympic Stadium in PyeongChang

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20171105000178

And this was just at 3 degree celsius. Much lower temperatures are expected on February 9.

They still have time to take measures to avoid an embarassment (ceremonies director mentioned something about handing over blankets and hot packs to people) but i doubt any future host will want to make ceremonies out in the open anymore after this. 

Oh boy!  But Beijing's will be at Birds Nest, won't it be?  Of course there's a big enough roof there to feed in hot air to the stands . . .  but the performers on the field won't be protected from such temps.  If that's the case, Beijing may switch to an indoor venue ... or build a roof over the big Birds Nest hole???

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Bird Nest roof is big enough to give everyone protection. Also, Iowest temperature registered in Beijing (at least in February) are of -1°C, while Pyeongchang is going to be -15°C. So they shouldn't worry that much about extreme cold weather.

I wonder how spectators in both Albertville and Lillehammer did since their ceremonies were out in the cold too (specially Lillehammer). Were there any measures taken back then to prevent people from getting Hypotermia? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I wonder how spectators in both Albertville and Lillehammer did since their ceremonies were out in the cold too (specially Lillehammer). Were there any measures taken back then to prevent people from getting Hypotermia? 

From the pics, it didn't seem to be freezing in Albertville -- (seemed balmy like Nagano)  but in Lillehammer, they were prepared, and I think all the locals knew how to dress for it.  But I would be interested to see the post-performance statistics on who got sick of what by attending the OCs in full??

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to post
Share on other sites

If they install heaters around the stadium, that would help with the hypothermia problem and the weather issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PikyoK said:

If they install heaters around the stadium, that would help with the hypothermia problem and the weather issues.

Yeah, but to have the heat going for about 2 hours in an open space?  I doubt that will heat too many people in the stands -- not to mention the performers who might be in skimpy outfits??

The other alternative is to do a daytime ceremony.  That will cause the least havoc.  And they would have to do this for CLosing and the Paralympics as well.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Yeah, but to have the heat going for about 2 hours in an open space?  I doubt that will heat too many people in the stands -- not to mention the performers who might be in skimpy outfits??

The other alternative is to do a daytime ceremony.  That will cause the least havoc.  And they would have to do this for CLosing and the Paralympics as well.  

true

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Yeah, but to have the heat going for about 2 hours in an open space?  I doubt that will heat too many people in the stands -- not to mention the performers who might be in skimpy outfits??

The other alternative is to do a daytime ceremony.  That will cause the least havoc.  And they would have to do this for CLosing and the Paralympics as well.  

That's possible but they are not going to move the ceremony in the daytime so it's very likely that they ask the spectators to bring blanklets and put on enough warm clothing to make sure they don't get hypothermia

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chrishigh765 said:

That's possible but they are not going to move the ceremony in the daytime so it's very likely that they ask the spectators to bring blanklets and put on enough warm clothing to make sure they don't get hypothermia

They'll probably know by the first dress rehearsal what to do.  They certainly wouldn't want any deaths from pneumonia due to the OC, let alone have scores of workers and volunteers get sick even before things open.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

They'll probably know by the first dress rehearsal what to do.  They certainly wouldn't want any deaths from pneumonia due to the OC, let alone have scores of workers and volunteers get sick even before things open.  

Yeah. That would be scary. I hope that doesn't happen

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a thread for these topics already. And tbh I'm tired of the same old circus. Nothing is going to happen. I doubt Kim even takes Trump seriously at this point anymore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

There is a thread for these topics already. And tbh I'm tired of the same old circus. Nothing is going to happen. I doubt Kim even takes Trump seriously at this point anymore. 

Me too. It's just a 'war of words'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news. I assume the Pyeongchang organising committee has found a solution to the wind. A spokesperson from the Organizing Committee has stated that they will be adding windshields to the stadium. Hopefully, this could sort out the weather problem. 

Full Article Here: https://koreaexpose.com/2018-pyeongchang-winter-olympics-cold/

Link to post
Share on other sites

They already said items like skin warmers and blankets would be available during the games. In an article I posted a couple of pages ago the Producer of the ceremonies mentioned something about segments where the spectators would be involved, for example, during the Parade of Nations (something about drums), as a measure to keep them heated. 

To be honest the K-Pop concert doesn't really seemed like something organized by the main PC2018 comittee, and the whole concert thing felt very rushed tbh (with parts of the stadium still left to be finished just like the Jumbotron screens and the so called windshields). Problem is it unexpectedly snowed in Pyeongchang the day before (and the day after), which brought temperatures lower than usual, and it's very likely the organizers weren't prepared for that fact.

On the other hand, I think people who assist to the games should just be prepared and take measures (and the organizers must take said measures too and warn people about the facts). As if Lillehammer wasn't very cold back in 1994, and we never heard too much people whining about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what Song Seung-hwan meant when he said that he 's planning to "unfold'' the Opening ceremony "like a single performance rather than a mega event."

Link to post
Share on other sites

People! I just created a list to vote what is the best Opening Ceremony for the Winter Games

The descriptions are in Spanish (the site is Spanish)

 

Please, vote and choose your favorite one!!!

https://listas.20minutos.es/deportes/ceremonias-inaugurales-de-juegos-olimpicos-de-invierno-425707/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...