Sign in to follow this  

57 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

It seems to be clear this time there will be not projections on the floor a la Sochi-Rio. 

I am still wondering how spectacular can be a show in a clear smaller space than all of their predecessors ...

Space is not too small, though, even if its smaller than Sochi for sure. The level of the spectacle doesn't necesarily needs to be affected because of this factor. If anything, spectacularity will depend on how the staff in charge of the ceremonies direct the show in question. Remember some groups like Cirque du Soleil usually work with a much smaller space than this (see Toronto 2015) yet they're still able to perform a good show. 

Also, Projections can still easily happen via the roof, which seems to be large enough to hold projectors. I also remember there were plans to build temporary pylon towers around the corner to support prop lifting, though i'm not sure if that will keep being a thing. 

2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Space is not too small, though, even if its smaller than Sochi for sure. The level of the spectacle doesn't necesarily needs to be affected because of this factor. If anything, spectacularity will depend on how the staff in charge of the ceremonies direct the show in question. Remember some groups like Cirque du Soleil usually work with a much smaller space than this (see Toronto 2015) yet they're still able to perform a good show. 

Also, Projections can still easily happen via the roof, which seems to be large enough to hold projectors. I also remember there were plans to build temporary pylon towers around the corner to support prop lifting, though i'm not sure if that will keep being a thing. 

Will they probably;y install an LED light floor above the wooden circle floor they just built.

Will they probably* install an LED light floor above the wooden circle floor they just built?

^^ It could work. Taipei 2017 Universiade used this trick for the floor projections though it was mostly because of the show planning rather than limitations of the stadium. However I think this could bring problems if you want to lift props from the ground (which seems to be most likely the situation because of the large pit underground)

In 2014, the opening of the CAC Games was held in Veracruz. Their stadium was very small and roofless as Pyeongchang. However thanks to temporary structures , they were still able to make a good show out of it with projections and everything (even better than the 2011 Pan Am Games in the same country which had a much bigger and modern stadium but I felt it wasn't used enough as it could had been)

Yang Bang Ean (music director of the ceremonies), alongside other korean artists, will be releasing what seems to be the first official music album for the Winter Oympics this October 27.

He will also be holding a concert at Blue Square Hall (Seoul) this November 25 as part of the countdown events for the games 

Maybe if they install projection lights where the floodlights are on the top. That could be a solution.

Some people forget SLC 2002 also had to work with a relative small space, which didn't prevented them from pulling one of the favorite winter ceremonies for many on this forum. 

Space shouldn't be an excuse for show producers these days to make something spectacular. :P

On 20/10/2017 at 10:16 AM, Ikarus360 said:

In 2014, the opening of the CAC Games was held in Veracruz. Their stadium was very small and roofless as Pyeongchang. However thanks to temporary structures , they were still able to make a good show out of it with projections and everything ....

Totally agree... It has been one of the most entertaining and well done shows I've ever seen... A real example of how you can make great things despite of not having a big stadium or a big space... or a huge amount of money.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Some people forget SLC 2002 also had to work with a relative small space, which didn't prevented them from pulling one of the favorite winter ceremonies for many on this forum. 

Space shouldn't be an excuse for show producers these days to make something spectacular. :P

Indeed, the are one of my favorites Ceremonies ever...

New pics, this time taken by drones and showing the covered pit.

yo9PxWa.jpg

b45logV.jpg

w5tb2BL.jpg

Ald1GCp.jpg

Haha, not really. :lol: Just a picture I found via Instagram.

Pit has been completly covered, though this seems to be for the K-Pop concert which will be held in November 4th. Not sure if it will also be related for the actual ceremonies. They are also seemingly rising temporary seats which might be either concert-related or ceremonies (Seats for the athletes?).

They are also finally doing something with the way leading to the Cauldron.

SL4TPwO.jpg

Also, i'm not sure if you've noticed but they are apparently starting to rise some towers at the Stadium suroundings. If you see one of the photos I posted recently, you can definitely see they were going to rise some kind of structure 

Urzg8Zb.png

Now you can clearly see a Tower rising from behind the tribunes in the latest picture.

WIJAfGe.png

3 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Pit has been completly covered, though this seems to be for the K-Pop concert which will be held in November 4th. Not sure if it will also be related for the actual ceremonies. They are also seemingly rising temporary seats which might be either concert-related or ceremonies (Seats for the athletes?).

They are also finally doing something with the way leading to the Cauldron.

SL4TPwO.jpg

Also, i'm not sure if you've noticed but they are apparently starting to rise some towers at the Stadium suroundings. If you see one of the photos I posted recently, you can definitely see they were going to rise some kind of structure 

Urzg8Zb.png

Now you can clearly see a Tower rising from behind the tribunes in the latest picture.

WIJAfGe.png

They might have two cauldrons: one in honor Pyeongchang and one in honor of Seoul since next year marks the 30th anniversary of those games

^^ Actually I was thinking they would be temporary structures to hold mechanisms able to lift props, given most of the Stadium is roofless.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Oh that's ok. Found his profile anyway! :ph34r:

It says he works for the Olympic Channel. He looks pretty delicious shirtless! :D

Album "Echoes for Pyeongchang" by Yang Bang Ean (musical producer for the Ceremonies) has been released, along with a MV of the main track of said album. 

It reminds me a bit of Calgary 1988 theme by David Foster, to be honest (not that is a bad thing :P )

http://www.mnet.com/album/2231989

You can listen to a preview of the tracks on this link. The ones with "양방언" were composed by Yang. 

Well, looks like the mystery about how the field is going to look like is over. From this article which came out 24 hours ago, what seems to be an interview with the producer of the Opening and Closing ceremonies, Song Seung Hwan, by SBS News, which also kind of gives a couple of hints of what to expect.

201107630.jpg

Looks like there's going to be more than just one ramp. There also seems to be a small circle in the middle with a snowflake more or less shaped like in the Logo.

This is also the article in question which i tried to translate.

http://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1004457848

Song Seung-hwan (60), the general secretary of the PyeongChang Olympic Winter Games, said, "We will show the Korean tradition from the tradition to the present," said Pyeongchang's opening ceremony on February 9, I will make it. "

Song said, "The opening and closing ceremony of the PyeongChang Olympic Games will be held for the first time in the history of the Olympic Games, not for the stadium."

In particular, he added, "We plan to unfold like a single performance rather than a mega event."

Song said, "I can not explain the details because of the International Olympic Committee, the IOC's spoiler ban."

The following interview with Yonhap News Song Director.

- It seems to have gotten worse. What is the routine these days?

= All in the Olympic opening and closing ceremony. The morning meeting is held at 9 am as early as possible and 10 am at the latest. There is no time to finish. Even if it finishes at 2 ~ 3 o'clock in the morning, it can be boring. Not only me, but about 20 directors in each field and 50 production crew are all hanging out in preparation for the event day and night.

- How far have you been preparing for the dog and closing ceremony?

= The composition of the directing plan has been completed. Based on this, stage, tools and costumes are in the stage of making. From November, we will rehearse by part. In December, the company will borrow a practice space similar to the actual size of the venue and will perform a comprehensive rehearsal, and will rehearse the venue next January.

- Casting casting is done already. On what criteria did you choose the main cast?

= The casting was almost arranged. As people around the world enjoy it, there will be a wide variety of people with global recognition. I think I cast well with people who fit well with each scene concept even if I do not have a headliner.

- There are still many people who come from the 'Hoop Boy' of the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul. Could this scene be so impressive?

= 'Hoop Boy' is a very well made scene. Hundreds and thousands of people appear in the event everyone disappears and suddenly a person comes to the spotlight is inevitable. In that respect, the impact was strong. However, I think there are some more scenes than that at this Olympic Games. Of course, it's up to the people who see you later.

- The opening ceremony will show the overall outline of a country's history, philosophy, and culture. Which Korea will you show me?

= Korea will show boldness not only in tradition but also in modern times. KPOP, modern dance, media video, and so on. There is a scene where the greatest number of drones that have not been seen in any previous event. And the fourth leading industrial revolution. But the message to the world is finally 'peace'. It is a symbolic expression of the country's unique development of division and war, and the story of the desire for peace with the people of the world.

- The pentagonal opening and closing ceremony facilities have a great influence on the contents of the event.

= Yes. It is unique in that it is not a rectangular stadium like a soccer field, but a new pentagon structure only for opening and closing ceremonies. Another thing I wanted to do was to dig underground. I installed two 8m and 24m diameter lifts. Hundreds of people rush for the opening and closing ceremonies, and run for the next scene. This time with the lift, the cast will appear instantly and disappear. We expect to demonstrate our own dynamism.

- Highlights also seem to be the scenes of torch and two wheels.

= These are the most worried scenes. The torch aims at 'beauty'. It is the Olympics that will be held in 30 years since the 88th Olympic Games in Seoul. The scenes of the boulevard will be unfolded in a way that shows the harmony with nature by utilizing the characteristics of outdoor facilities.

- The most troubling part is.

= Budget and weather. The opening and closing ceremony facilities are completely open without a roof, so we have various measures to cope with the cold weather. Blankets and hot packs are being prepared by the Organizing Committee. Our production team is also preparing to let the audience stand up and dance together for 40 ~ 50 minutes when the athletes come in, knock on a simple percussion instrument and forget the cold. In addition, we prepare 2 eyes and 3 eyes in case of snow or rain. It is true that the budget of around 53 billion won seems to be lacking. However, the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism is discussing the necessity of increasing the budget. We expect to be supported a little more.

- The Olympic headquarters is likened to 'Poisonous Holy Grail'. It seems to be a burden.

I have produced about 50 performances so far, but nothing was as hard as this Olympic event. There is a great deal of stress to create performances that meet the expectations of many people. I also suffered from ridiculous ridiculousness. I was able to hold it because it was still Olympic. It is the biggest performance in my life, and it is a performance I can only do once. Also forget about entering the conference room. Even if you hear such sounds from the outside, you forget to enter the conference room. fun. I can not help it.

(Photo: Yonhap News)
Source: SBS News
Original link: http://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1004457848&plink=COPYPASTE&cooper=SBSNEWSEND

So, what we can confirm of the Opening Ceremony according to this article (i wish we had someone who understood the language on GB to make a better translation of the article)

• Rehearsals will begin in November
  • They will show both old and new Korea.
  • K-Pop was more or less confirmed to be present
  • A scene involving drones will be used, and it will be a first for Olympic ceremonies
  • They want to convey a general message of Peace (which seems appropiate given the current circumstances)
  • They kind of hint they might or might not bring back a scene similar to the Seoul '88 lone Hoop Boy.
  • The pit built underground was with the purpose of allowing people from coming under onto the stage more quickly
  • Plans to use percussion instruments for all the audience during the Parade of Nations (a strategy in order to make them forget about the cold weather)
  • Parade of nations is expected to last 40-50 minutes
  • They want to make use of the outdoor properties of the Stadium to show more natural aspects
  • The producer confirms that, indeed, the weather conditions are the biggest worry for the Ceremonies
  • Budget for the ceremonies is 53 Billion Won (which is equivalent to roughly $47 Million ), but apparently there are plans to increase if its needed

A closer look of the ramp being built at the moment which leads to the Cauldron. I wonder what they're planning to do

20171029000087.jpg

I posted this on the Tickets thread as well, but here we have the desing of the tickets for the ceremonies.

AEN20171029001900315_01_i.jpg

I know they sometimes can hint things about the ceremonies, but not always (London 2012 ticket basically spoiled us the look of the Cauldron for example). This seems to just be the Look of the Games this time, in both Gold/Silver. (Snowflakes formed by Hangul characters).

If the Budget they reported on SBS is true, in case this is only for the Opening Ceremony, it already surpasses Rio by a large margin (which was reported to be roughly $6.5 Million) and London (by just 7 more million).In case ifts for both the Opening and Closing, it already surpasses Rio anyway. And it seems the budget is expected to increase slighty. Sochi organizers, conveniently, refused to give details of the budget for the Opening and Closing ceremonies but given the 50 Billion Dollars they wasted for the whole Olympics, i'm pretty sure it was a huge number.

Seems by the look of both this pic and the render from my previous post they will lift towers at each corner of the pentagon. 

NISI20171029_0013513126_web.jpg

^^ Here it is. https://www.instagram.com/benjaminpv/

Also, scaffolding is being raised at the main tribune for a screen, as well for another stage above the main one which looks made for a concert. This definitely has to do with the K-Pop concert this thursday, so I guess the main works revolving the ceremonies will stop for now.

Seems like the external towers have been raised. They seem tall/strong enough to be able to create a flying system for props.

2017103002000022799001_99_22.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Seems like the external towers have been raised. They seem tall/strong enough to be able to create a flying system for props.

2017103002000022799001_99_22.jpg

I'm guessing, zip lines.  

Just now, baron-pierreIV said:

I'm guessing, zip lines.  

Most likely. These days a ceremony is not complete without one. Even Rio, with all the small budget and everything had some of it for the Natives segment. 

If you read one of my previous post the usage of Drones was confirmed by the ceremonies producer for a segment in particular. So even without zip lines we will still see flying objects.