They did said there would be some Kpop but that overall the opening would show both traditional and modern korea, as well for focusing on the natural landmarks of the country. Closing does seems like it will have lots of Kpop since its overall theme sounds futuristic.

Anyway, here is another test of the lighting. 

Just now, Ikarus360 said:

They did said there would be some Kpop but that overall the opening would show both traditional and modern korea, as well for focusing on the natural landmarks of the country. Closing does seems like it will have lots of Kpop since its overall theme sounds futuristic.

Anyway, here is another test of the lighting. 

Yes, I have read the reports. The title and overall theme of "Peace in Motion" is interesting, I think they're going for a similar approach that Rio had with the climate change/sea levels piece. It sent one message to the people of the host nation, and another globally. I think it will also be a message well received around the globe given current global situations. However, I read that they were going to "modify certain scenes of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies" if North Korea attends, I really wonder what those are. 

Also, seems like North Korea IS going to take part in Pyeongchang (finally this will put an end to the drama about security issues). So I guess we'll have to wait and see what are those specific scenes the producers wanted to change/add. We might also see the Unification Flag again for the first time since Torino.

^^ Yup. That's exactly what I said some posts ago, comparing it to the ancient 9 stories pagoda from the Silla era which was entirely made of wood (but was destroyed in the Mongol Invasions)

The IOC is more than pleased to receive NK. I guess unless any crap happens this last remaining month their participation is secured so the main message of the ceremony can be truly conveyed (even though they still kept threatening America with death at the same time)

They seem like light projectors, but i'm not sure. Here is a video from an NHK report filmed inside the stadium in December 31 (it also shows a bit more of the Pagoda prop which seems to be going to feature on the show)

Volunteers are taking photos from inside the stadium. Also now that we're in January we should expect the rehearsals to start at the venue very soon. 

Dunno what's that large ring on the floor though.

Also, seems Emmanuel Macron, president of France, will attend Pyeongchang 2018, so we might have our first confirmed head of state attending the Opening

The roofs from the previous pics combined and that ring being assembled at the right. Any guesses what could it be.

26282989_391248498000929_872090786734486

f12f3af49c44e66445e246b7cd574e67.jpg

It could be the ring depicted in this picture of the early design of the Olympic Stadium.

The ring might be used for fireworks or a prop holder/lifter

Yeah, my first toughts were that it would be part of the Cablenet System. However the render is quite old and many aspects of the stadium have changed ever since. 

Another glimpse of the ring, which seems to have moved into the center.

The ring has been lifted. Also there are some devices/stuff in the ground which are a bit hard to tell what are for.

I just noticed something. On the first pic, the lower part of the ramp leading to the cauldron seems to be rising one-two meters above, but on the second picture its touching back the ground.

Those things at the centre are somewhat reminiscing to korean drums.

?format=1000w

They tested fireworks.

Also this  post has the tag #drone on it

Torch relay...drone...they're not gonna light the cauldron with a drone are they? I think we kind of assumed since the Super Bowl that they'd use drones to form the rings...although that poses its own difficulty with the black ring :lol:

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

Torch relay...drone...they're not gonna light the cauldron with a drone are they? I think we kind of assumed since the Super Bowl that they'd use drones to form the rings...although that poses its own difficulty with the black ring :lol:

They could probably use a white ring instead of a black one

And it seems I was right about the ring above the stadium

Probably they will just make the black ring white like in Torino 2006. Though with the politically correct world we live in now, maybe some people won't like having the african continent painted in white. They might as well make all the rings have the same colors.

max_01_APERTURA_OLIMPIADI_Ansa.jpg

The tags even say the type of drones being used for the show. DJI Inspire, Inspire 2 and DJI m600

Inspire 2

6045cee6144a2959679e9c9ceb9e8584@374.jpg

Matrice 600

DJI-M600-in-flight-arms-retracted.jpeg

I believe these were the same kind used for Lady Gaga halftime performance. I wonder if Intel will be involved somehow as well. 

Second pic looks like an old September pic. First one shows the Cablenet ring finally lifted. It's kind of giving me a Vancouver 2010 vibe so far, to be honest. Doesn't help apparently the slope leading to the cauldron can be slightly lifted from the ground. It seems pretty obvious they will do a ski jumping scene. 

http://www.sportsseoul.com/news/read/585543

This article which was another interview with the ceremonies producer says they will do the first rehearsal at the stadium on January 15th. 

Also, bad news. The ceremony is, indeed,  going to last only two hours, this was confirmed by the Producer. They cite the extreme cold weather as the main reason. They, however, mention they want to make the parade of nations quickly in order to make up for it. 

What I managed to translate.

[Sports Seoul Kim Hyo-won] '2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics' came to the 37th. It is no exaggeration to say that the Olympic flower is an opening ceremony. The attention of people from all over the world is reflected in the brilliant performance of the opening ceremony. Song Seung-hwan (60), who is the general manager of the Olympic Games and Closing Ceremony, has been running for over two years to announce Korea's status at the Olympics in Korea in 30 years. Song, the main character who announced the charm of KCulture on the world stage with the nonverbal performance 'Nanta', was tense when he came to the front of his nose for the effort he had been putting in preparation for the Olympic Games and closing ceremonies. I met Song at the meeting place in Gyeonggi province, saying, "I prepared my best."

Song was appointed General Manager of the PyeongChang Winter Olympics in July 2015. After two years and five months, he suffered many twists and turns. Especially, at the end of the last year, Choi Soon-sil, the President of the National Farmers' Party, was exposed to the interference of PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games. Nevertheless, Song, the head general of Song, who ran without any restraint on his shoelace, faced a full-fledged crossing ahead of a comprehensive rehearsal on the 15th.

Song said, "I shot the video for the opening ceremony. When we go to the scene, it is different from the one we had in the conference room, so we decided to change the direction so that we could spend the night. I am familiar with leaping at night by drama shooting, but there is a lot of burden. It is very sensitive because it is a performance that people from all over the world see. "

D day was coming up for a month and the night was getting more frequent. It is not enough to rehearse at the meeting, and there is no time to shave the beard because we have to put on costumes,

Song Seung Hwan

- The PyeongChang Olympic Games last a month or so. I am really nostalgic, but what about progress and testimony?
He is currently rehearsing at his place of worship. Costumes and accessories are also in the final stages. The rehearsal at the full-scale Pyeongchang site begins on January 15th. It is the stage to finish the comprehensive rehearsal in the room before the scene rehearsal. I expect myself. We are expecting what kind of outcome we will have and what kind of response we will have and worry about if it is not good. But whatever the reaction is, it gives us comfort that we did our best. I have done my best and the result should be good.

- At the end of last year, Prime Minister Lee Nak-yeon ordered a memorable opening ceremony at the meeting, like the "hoop boy" of the 88 Seoul Olympics.
During the 88 Seoul Olympics, the production team would have done a lot of impressive things, including the "Hoop Boy". It is the same now. We also made several 'wow points', but we can not predict which one will get a good response. 'Hoop Boy' has prepared several impacts such as.

- As a performance expert, I wonder what know-how it will bring to the opening and closing ceremony.
As you know, the mass games are not as big and the venues are not big enough. Because I am a performance expert, I tried to perform like a performance if possible. In the past, I can not make the stage change quickly because I play in the soccer field, but this time, the venue is small so I can switch quickly. It is also different from other Olympics in that it uses a lot of images. The reason why I use a lot of video is because of the wait for the video now. In addition to the 35,000 spectators on the field, I was also concerned about video production for billions of TV viewing.

- The concept of opening and closing ceremony is 'harmony and fusion', slogan is 'Peace in Motion' and 'Next Wave'. Peace was especially emphasized.
Liu received a good response from the concept of the Olympics to convey the message of the environment. We also met with the bishopric and met the Olympic spirit and found a concept that matched our situation. We crave peace more than any other country because of the particularity of the divided country. So I wanted to highlight the theme of peace.

- Is there a benchmarking or closing ceremony?
The Rio Olympic Games were a reference in that it revealed the theme clearly. I looked at other countries' Olympics, but it was too different from the budget. The Beijing Olympic Games were worth 600 billion won and we are 60 billion won. So what I thought was how to do it differently, not benchmark another country. In that sense, I gave the point to do differently.

- What about the breathing with director Yang Jung-woong of the opening ceremony and director Chang-yung Jung of the closing ceremony?
I have faith in both of them. Yang Jung-woong's sense is global. It is not the national sport that we make, but the global Olympics. But if you do, it will become more like a national championship. It is easy to think of it as a Korean festival. Yang is excellent in global sense. Mise-en-scène such as color, costume, props, and design is meticulous. Director Chang Jang Jung is overcoming the closure due to his unique interest in the closing ceremony, which is less like his opening ceremony and feels less like his budget. He is very enthusiastic and active.

- There is a lot of concern about the cold on the day of opening ceremony.
The opening ceremony of the Olympics was usually three hours, but we reduced it to two hours. Because of the cold, three hours in the winter night are impossible. As much as possible, I prepared a direction to solve the cold. The athletes entered the stage very quickly and quickly got up in the audience with tempo music and enjoyed dancing. The audience was careful to interact with the performances and win the cold.

- Public attention is essential. What I want to say to the public.
Olympic heat is not the same as before. In addition, there are so many incidents in our country, and there are big issues such as the North Korean nuclear issue, so the people are less interested in the Olympics. (Laughter) But the heat of the World Cup soared a month ago, too. I believe that the heat of the PyeongChang Winter Olympics will soon emerge and that you will be supported by the people. It is said that it is very wonderful to do the winter Olympics in Korea abroad. It is a country that plays the Winter Olympics. It is an event that shows Korean culture to the world in 30 years since the 88th Seoul Olympics. In that sense, I hope that the people will send their support with pride.

In all fairness, this could had been avoided if the stingy dunces of the organizing committee/govt back then would had carefully considered the harsh winters Pyeongchang has to face every year and included a roof for the stadium, but noooo...<_<

• Sad 1