6 hours ago, PikyoK said:

I also think that they should keep the stadium. That's what I would do if I was head of POCOG.

On the contrary, it would be a bold and meaningful gesture if, just for once, a high-prestige temporary structure (I'm looking at you, Eiffel Tower) genuinely was temporary.

Meanwhile- I just looked up the time of the PC18 Opening Ceremony. As usual, it's Friday 8pm- but Korea is on the eastern edge of the main world landmass, which means it gets 8pm before almost anybody else except Japan and thinly-populated Oceania. In India, people will just be finishing work; in Europe, they'll be looking forward to lunchtime; in New York they'll have to have an early breakfast; in LA they may as well stay awake all Thursday night.

3 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

On the contrary, it would be a bold and meaningful gesture if, just for once, a high-prestige temporary structure (I'm looking at you, Eiffel Tower) genuinely was temporary.

Meanwhile- I just looked up the time of the PC18 Opening Ceremony. As usual, it's Friday 8pm- but Korea is on the eastern edge of the main world landmass, which means it gets 8pm before almost anybody else except Japan and thinly-populated Oceania. In India, people will just be finishing work; in Europe, they'll be looking forward to lunchtime; in New York they'll have to have an early breakfast; in LA they may as well stay awake all Thursday night.

Well, I live in Australia and there is a 2 hour time difference between AEDT (Australian Eastern Daylight Time) and KST (Korea Standard Time; the time zone Pyeongchang and Korea is in). So while the ceremony will start at 8pm KST, it will be 10pm AEDT. Nice :D

Here's a new pic of the Olympic Plaza from September 19. Apparently the venue was officially completed yesterday (though the Jumbotron screens and stage aren't finished yet)

Stuff being built over the pit and....is that a Cauldron i'm seeing? :o

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article176054581.html

South_Korea_Pyeongchang_Stadium_50598.jp

15 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Here's a new pic of the Olympic Plaza from September 19. Apparently the venue was officially completed yesterday (though the Jumbotron screens and stage aren't finished yet)

Stuff being built over the pit and....is that a Cauldron i'm seeing? :o

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article176054581.html

South_Korea_Pyeongchang_Stadium_50598.jp

if you go back to page 4, you'll see more.. ;) 

• Like 1

The stadium kind of reminds me of Nagano, especially after seeing the cauldron placement.

Image result for nagano olympic stadium

New pics courtesy of SSC

PYH2017092729360001300_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921640006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921650006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921710006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921720006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921740006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921750006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921690006200_P4.jpg

Cauldron is an external tower, pretty much like Torino.

I know right! 

17 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

New pics courtesy of SSC

PYH2017092729360001300_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921640006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921650006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921710006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921720006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921740006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921750006200_P4.jpg

PYH2017092921690006200_P4.jpg

Cauldron is an external tower, pretty much like Torino.

I know right! 

18 hours ago, phandrosis said:

The stadium kind of reminds me of Nagano, especially after seeing the cauldron placement.

Image result for nagano olympic stadium

I know right!

Doing a search in Google, it seems "임충일" (Im Chung Il) is one of the Artistic directors of the Opening and Closing ceremonies. It seems he's known for his works in robotics.

Apparently, he already worked in the Handover segment of Pyeongchang in Sochi, though he explains on this article he felt overwhelmed by the large size of the stage, probably hinting he preferred working in a smaller space, which seems to be the case this time for Pyeongchang. 

He was apparently also responsable for these small olympic automata exhibitions at the Seoul train station. Some pics and videos of the Automatas in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr6EN2Wzcs4

KakaoTalk_20170208_104646685.jpg?type=w8

IMG_5328.JPG?type=w966

I wonder if we're up for a large machinery-ish display for the Opening Ceremony, if that's the case. That would explain that large structure they're seemingly building under the pit, it might have to do something about it, I wonder....

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=hellopolicy&logNo=220957000088&categoryNo=94&proxyReferer=&proxyReferer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.ve%2F

This is the Article i found(apparently is from March 2017), but the translation is not very good .

The man Mr. Polly met!

<People preparing for Pyeongchang> ② Pyeongchang Olympic Opening / Closing Ceremony Art Director,

Policy blog
March 13, 2013
Add Neighbor
Body Other Functions
    • Text font size adjustment Text font size Smaller text Font size Larger view
    • Empathy
    • Copy URL
    • Translation

What scenes do you come up with at the Olympics? There will be various scenes such as athletes playing hard or throwing medals on their necks, but we can not miss the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics. Dogs and closure ceremonies that are considered successful are also praised by people for a long time. In the opening ceremony of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games last year, it was rated as having the greatest effect at minimal cost.

The low-budget opening ceremony of the Rio Olympic Games was a great demonstration of Brazil. Ⓒ IOC Homepage
What will be the Olympics in Pyeongchang, one year from now? Today, the policy sympathy is the second main character of <Pyeongchang Olympics Preparers> series, and I have met the director of the artistic director of the Pyeongchang Olympic Games. Im has proved his talent as a producer of automata in Pyeongchang, which was promoted to Pyeongchang in Liu before the opening and closing ceremony of the PyeongChang Olympic Games. Before we talked with him in earnest, let's take a look at what 'Otomata' is and what the Pyeongchang Pyeongchang Promotion Hall has just opened.
Liu Olympic's famous automata announce Pyeongchang to the whole world!
Do you know about the '2016 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics' and the 'Otomata' which was the highlight of promoting the Winter Paralympic Games at the 2016 Rio Olympics? It was constantly moving, flowing and dynamic, and it became a topic to show at a glance what the PyeongChang Olympic Games would look like.

It is no exaggeration to say that the interest and support of the people is the biggest part of preparation for the PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games. So this time, the organizing committee announced that it will promote the PyeongChang Olympics by installing automata and mascot sculptures in Seoul station from the 9th until the end of the Olympics.

Would you like to see in advance what the automata installed in Seoul Station looks like? All rights reserved.
The automata installed at Seoul Station is an automatic doll with a length of 6m and a height of 2.2m. I am introducing the upcoming 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Stadiums and events. In addition, the mountains and the sea of Pyeongchang and Gangneung are installed together to help you see the Pyeongchang Olympic Games at a glance. If you have any Seoul stations, why do not you meet Pyeongchang in advance at the Olympic Opening Seoul Station?
The Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games were opened in Gangneung, the host city for ice rinks. The promotional hall was designed with 'snow crystals' and applied the design and colors of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic emblem.
Gangneung Permanent Public Relations Office Address: 131 Gangneung, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do

Emblem installed at PyeongChang Winter Olympic PyeongChang 2018 / ⓒ Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism
In the main exhibition room, the winter sports heroes pose real poses during each game, giving them realism and liveliness. Many of them wondered that equipment worn on the model was made with donations from ex-athletes and sports organizations. Between the pavilions, there are Olympic information panels such as the PyeongChang Winter Olympic bid process, introduction of the competition, and location of the stadium. For the purpose of promoting the experience-oriented public relations department, there is also a 4D experience center where you can experience skiing, bobsling and other winter sports.
What is Pyeongchang's art director who made 'Automata'?

He is an art director who is responsible for the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2018 PyeongChang Olympic Games and Paralympics as well as the production of Liu's famous automata. All rights reserved.
Q. Hello. I would like to briefly introduce myself to policy-minded readers.
Hello, it is called the feast day. I majored in cinography, which is a scene director. Synopsis is easy to explain, you can think of designing and planning all the arts in the field, such as the design of stage devices, visuals, and large and small tools.

Q. The 2014 Sochi Winter Paralympics Closing Ceremony, Seoul Station Automata, Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Permanent Public Relations Exhibition, and so on. How did you start the art work related to the Winter Olympics?
I came to Pyeongchang as a coincidental occasion in Sochi. I was in the middle of a large ground in Sochi, so I was overwhelmed by the big scale. I was very impressed personally with the stage size of the huge scale. This led to my longing and longing, and I also participated in the Pyeongchang Olympic art work, which I think might be the biggest size stage as a sino grapher.

SEOUL, South Korea - SEOUL, MALAYSIA -
Q. The automata installed at Seoul Station attract the attention of the coming and going people. I wonder how it was planned.
The automata are the device sculptures that I have made since I was a student. The reason why the automata installed at Seoul Station was first produced was to be displayed at the promotional hall of the Rio Olympic Games. Due to the geographical characteristics of South America, the locals felt that they would feel unfamiliar with the Winter Olympics and Korea. So what I think about the interesting and interesting elements is the automata. It seems to have a high level of satisfaction both boys and younger, because the various elements in the cute, funny and limited space are constantly moving and the Korean colors such as pine trees,

Q. Did you have any difficulties in creating an automata opportunity?
It all took a lot of time and effort than any other type of artwork. It took about a year to prepare, to design, and to production. It seemed that it took about three months to produce the actual automata. At that time, students of Korea National University of Arts helped me to produce automata part-time, and I remember that I spent every night even though I had 15 people hanging together.

Automata work done by manually coloring each part individually ⓒ supervised by Lee Hyeong-il
Recommended by Pyeongchang Olympic Promotion Hall

Pyeongchang Pyeongchang Constitution of the public relations building and detailed explanation of it Director Chung Il Chung ⓒ policy sympathy
Q. I heard that all of the items worn on the hands and feet of the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games promotional materials were directly used by former and current national delegates. How did you plan to organize the PyeongChang Winter Olympics permanent public relations building?
The biggest problem was how to decorate the interior space of the permanent public relations center. I found the content that I deserved to introduce the peculiarity of the PyeongChang Winter Olympics. Pyeongchang is a really beautiful city, but I thought that the subject related to the environment was somewhat tiring. I am interested in heroic water personally. Then I thought about expressing winter sports stars as superhero. The heroes in the movie are virtual people, but the winter stars are the real heroes.

PyeongChang Winter Olympic Promotion Museum, which has been trying to make the most of the dynamic appearance of the athletes. Ice hockey player (right) model resembles bishop and is most affectionate. Ⓒ Provided by Director Lee Young-il
Q. When you visit the PyeongChang Winter Olympics Permanent Publicity Center, is there any work you should not miss?
I would like you to have a good look at all the exhibits. When I look at the zone displayed in the lobby, I have arranged that the heroes seem to come out. You'll definitely get a dynamic feel like a flying ski jump, a luge running to the side, and a short track running from underneath.

If you look at the sculptures in the lobby of the PyeongChang Winter Olympics promotional hall, you can feel as if the players are running forward. It is the best photo zone recommended by the bishop. Ⓒ Provided by Director Lee Young-il

Q. I need national attention for the successful hosting of the PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games. In that sense, I think that your work is raising the public's interest in the PyeongChang Winter Olympics. Do you have any feelings about your work?
When the Winter Olympic Games are held, the interest and support of the people is urgent. I do not think the whole process is meaningful. I would be grateful if you could pay attention and watch with loving eyes rather than comparing and contrasting with the other country's sergeants.
Q. Do you have any work in progress regarding the PyeongChang Winter Olympics?
I am negotiating, but I will produce the same automata as Seoul Station and plan to exhibit at IOC Switzerland Lausanne. Whether it will be permanently on display at the IOC Olympic Publicity Hall or whether it will be on display temporarily during the Winter Olympics is yet to be determined.

It was the interview of director Liu Chongil, producer of the automata, which was the promotional exhibit of the PyeongChang Olympics and Paralympics. During the interview, I was so excited about the 2018 opening and closing ceremonies in his detailed explanation of the automata and the permanent public relations. As the Olympic Games are festivals around the world, I felt more responsive and careful about small parts. We will support policy sympathy for everyone who is working for the upcoming festival!

The man Mr. Polly met!

<People preparing for Pyeongchang> ② Pyeongchang Olympic Opening / Closing Ceremony Art Director,

Policy blog
March 13, 2013
Add Neighbor
Body Other Functions
    • Text font size adjustment Text font size Smaller text Font size Larger view
    • Empathy
    • Copy URL
    • Translation

What scenes do you come up with at the Olympics? There will be various scenes such as athletes playing hard or throwing medals on their necks, but we can not miss the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics. Dogs and closure ceremonies that are considered successful are also praised by people for a long time. At the opening ceremony of the 2016 Rio Olympics last year,

• Thanks 1

360° Degree view of the Olympic Plaza. You can see the stage construction on a much better detail here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

360° Degree view of the Olympic Plaza. You can see the stage construction on a much better detail here

Wow- that's going to be both sturdy and potentially very very complicated !

Awesome news for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Yang Bang Ean aka Ryo Kunihiko will be in charge of the music direction . This interview with him from the Korea JoongAng Daily from late 2016 confirms his participation. 

http://mengnews.joins.com/view.aspx?aId=3026259

This article also confirms Yang role

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/modern-artists-adding-new-energy-to-‘arirang’/ar-AArLMqY?li=AA9RERZ

For those who don't know him he's a very famous korean composer. He recently composed the main theme for the documental "Who I Am" about the Paralympics. He also served as the musical director of the 2014 handover. 

Some of his works so we can know what style of music to expect in four months. 

Reading some recent articles regarding the ceremonies, it seems controversies have re-emerged once again about holding the opening outdoors, as concerns for the expected low weathers are now on the talks

http://www.kado.net/?mod=news&act=articleView&idxno=876831

Apparently, minus 7°C are expected for the first 10 days of February, while the lowest temperature after sunset (the time for the Opening Ceremony) is expected to be -17°C. Truly a nightmare for those who are sensitive to cold weather. 

Good point is we might have lots of snow a la Lillehammer, bad point might be everything else since strong winds and very low weather could meddle with the general planning of the show...this seems like the typical scenario when the organizers are being shortsighted about these kind of situations, but I would like to hear what you guys thin. 

For that exact reason I was kinda thinking/hoping this might be a daylight ceremony. Still, these are the winter Olympics...better too cold than not cold enough *Beijing*

I think it's a little bit too late and silly to realize and complain about this, now. :lol: They should use the cold/snow in favor for a good winter setting. 

If we had an outdoors opening with snow and massive under zero grades in 1994, I think they can pull this out. Also, the countryside scenario around the stadium could help out for some nice shoots. Surounding areas are filled with wind power plants. 

OH9yZkg.jpg

FvZCubo.jpg

Apparently, the stadium is going to be used November 4th for a K-Pop/J-Pop concert event, for the 100 Days to Go countdown

https://www.soompi.com/2017/09/27/lineup-announced-2017-dream-concert-pyeongchang/

These are the seats picked for the show.

DL1e5YXW4AA-C1U.jpg

I wonder now if the massive stuff being built under is for that concert or for the ceremonies. I hope its the later. 

4 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Apparently, the stadium is going to be used November 4th for a K-Pop/J-Pop concert event, for the 100 Days to Go countdown

https://www.soompi.com/2017/09/27/lineup-announced-2017-dream-concert-pyeongchang/

I wonder now if the massive stuff being built under is for that concert or for the ceremonies. I hope its the later. 

I do hope there will be some footage, or at least stills, from that event- it could give us a lot of clues about the capabilities of the venue.

12 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

A cool TV-esque angle of the Stadium i found from a russian site

36_main_new.1507122783.jpg

Amazing! :lol: This makes me even more excited for the Pyeongchang 2018 Ceremonies and Games!

The hole is being covered now, it seems. Dunno if they finished installing everything underground or they are covering the works temporally for that concert in early November.

719195_203776_2811.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

The hole is being covered now, it seems. Dunno if they finished installing everything underground or they are covering the works temporally for that concert in early November.

719195_203776_2811.jpg

That looks like a pretty long-term covering- unless the November event is going to feature something like elephants or monster trucks. And it looks as if it's leaving the central circle clear so far.

1 minute ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

That looks like a pretty long-term covering- unless the November event is going to feature something like elephants or monster trucks. And it looks as if it's leaving the central circle clear so far.

Perhaps, though I imagine they do need to build a temporary stage for the concert to be held, unless they make it over the main tribune. Here are some pics of the concert event (seems to be a tour they've been doing through the year)

30000535705_700.jpg

2017061409504251362.jpg

Also, another slighty more detailed closeup of the Hole being covered.

2017101601000284200017791.jpg

It seems to be clear this time there will be not projections on the floor a la Sochi-Rio. 

I am still wondering how spectacular can be a show in a clear smaller space than all of their predecessors ...