5 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Well...it seems extreme right conservative groups who are still pissed about North Korea participation at the games are planning to call rallies the Opening day nearby the stadium to denounce Kim Jong Un's regime, as reported by the police. I hope this doesn't becomes a Taipei Universiade 2.0 (the parade of nations being sabotaged by protests due to domestic issues).

http://v.sports.media.daum.net/v/20180203060301481?f=m&rcmd=re

I think these groups should just suck it up and live with it. 

54 minutes ago, BTHarner said:

Maybe the morons will read that article and actually believe the games don't actually start until September 9th. They get there and start asking each other "Hey, where is the stadium???" (assuming it is dismantled by then)

LOL :lol:

Ok..... Some days left for the Opening Ceremony, time to recapitulate some props which are classical in every Opening ceremony,..

I want to remember the Nation plaques bearers of the WG...

Sapporo 1972

02448286-e1442340159972.jpg?quality=100&

Lake Placid 1980. A little more stylized 

Imagen relacionada

Sarajevo 1984 --- USA... "SAD" paritcipation? Not at all! 

Imagen relacionada

Albertville 1992.... The walking snow crystal balls.... My favorite ones by far! (so far)

Imagen relacionada

Imagen relacionada

Nagano 1998... The "Children nation plaques" ... Original!

Resultado de imagen para nagano 1998 opening ceremony parade

Salt Lake 2002.. The Nations plaques taken absolutely from the look of the games... My second favorite...

Resultado de imagen para salt lake 2002 opening ceremony parade

In Torino 2006 the attention were not put on he Nations plaques themselves, but on the dresses of the plaque bearers which were representations of the Alpine Mountains with houses, cows even lights on them... So amazing dresses!!!

Resultado de imagen para Torino 2006 opening ceremony parade

In Vancouver 2010 they were written piece of ice...

Imagen relacionada

Sochi 2014.. Don't know the meaning of those walking nations plaques... 

Resultado de imagen para sochi 2014 opening ceremony parade

BONUS TRACK

My favorites plaque bearers ever....

Rio 2007 Panamerican Games. The rolling worlds...

Resultado de imagen para rio 2007 opening ceremony

Glasgow 2014, Commonwealth Games. The Terriers pupies plaque bearers... Creative and cutest ever!!!

Imagen relacionada

Imagen relacionada

Rio 2016. The ecological bikes... I loved them!!!

Resultado de imagen para rio 2016 opening ceremony bikes

^^ Albertville and Rio have to be probably some of the most original placards. Glasgow was also very cute, though hard to notice the nation names at first sight. 

Incheon 2014, despite the actual ceremony being superboring, had some nice nation placards actually, each one based in the national flower of the countries they represented.

w3-asian-games-a-20140920-e1411136824494

0610-sports-sri_lanka-incheon.jpg

I also liked the placards of Melbourne 2006 CWG with those umbrellas. An idea which was later improved for the London paralympics

Isle%20of%20Man%20Melbourne%202006.jpg

_62565469_hi015808664.jpg

The jigsaw placards in the Rio 2016 paralympics which were used to form a canvas with pictures of the volunteers was also a great idea.

380A2E5300000578-3778562-image-a-65_1473

I just realised that the tiger and bear shown at the rehearsal of the Opening Ceremony was a reference to Soohorang and Bandabi (the PyeongChang 2018 Mascots)

47 minutes ago, SkiFreak said:

30 years later, will they provide BBQ dove again at these opening ceremonies?

HAHAHAH :P I hope not. They are planning to do a "Doves of Peace" performance by getting performers to form a giant dove on the stage floor. They will probably wear white light glowing outfits (a la Sochi 2014)

3 hours ago, PikyoK said:

HAHAHAH :P I hope not. They are planning to do a "Doves of Peace" performance by getting performers to form a giant dove on the stage floor. They will probably wear white light glowing outfits (a la Sochi 2014)

5 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

^^ PikyoK, that should go to the Spoilers thread. <_<

• Like 1

Now I will recapitulate the Rings Formations segments on the Opening Ceremonies of the WG.

Sarajevo 1984. It seems to be the very first ring formation segment for the WG. 

Resultado de imagen para sarajevo 1984 opening ceremony

Calgary 1988. There were not a ring formation segment itself, but ther were made up by the attending audience by wearing those ponchos creating the olympic flag as a human mosaic.

Also they made up the year "88" from the Look of the Games.

Resultado de imagen para calgary 1988 opening ceremony

Albertville 1992. There were not a ring formation segment either, but they were projected on the floor. I think, the very first rings projections in an Opening Ceremony.

Resultado de imagen para albertville 1992 opening ceremony

Lillehammer 1994. Despite it was not a segment itself, the rings formation was made up by the children choir forming a human mosaic wich was present at the beggining and during the parade of nations.

Resultado de imagen para lillehammer 1994 opening ceremony

Salt Lake 2002. One of the most original and innovative rings formation ever: rings of fire on ice.

It was replied two years after in Athens by forming fire rings on water.

Resultado de imagen para salt lake 2002 opening ceremony

Torino 2006. A high tech rings formation. After a choreography of the "sparks of passion" where (yet not) rings got up and down, finally they were unified along a fireworks display. It was a splendid background for the Nations Parade.

One of the most memorable ring formation ever!

Resultado de imagen para torino 2006 opening ceremony rings

Resultado de imagen para torino 2006 opening ceremony rings

Vancouver 2010. With not a ring formation segment, the beggining of the ceremony was starred by the snowboardist jumping through the snow exploding rings which gave us a stunning footage of that Opening Ceremony.

v01_22120339.jpg

Sochi 2014. Probably the comented  most rings formation ever by the media due to the big fail: One of the rings did not open!

It was supossed to set them in a fireworks display after their formation but they didn't. Russian TV aired images of the dress rehearsal to "heal" that moment....

For the closing ceremony they made a parody of that fail!

Resultado de imagen para sochi 2014 opening ceremony rings

Like it was supposed to be

Resultado de imagen para sochi 2014 opening ceremony rings

The parody at the Closing Ceremony making fun of themselves...

Resultado de imagen para sochi 2014 closing ceremony rings

BONUS TRACK

My favorite rings formation ever

One of the most iconic footages of all Olympic Ceremonies. Los Angeles 1984 rings with those golden balloons still is one of the most amazing shoots ever!

Resultado de imagen para los angeles 1984 opening ceremony

Beijing 2008. Due to its huge originality and the wow factor... The rings seemed to be coming out from the screen on the floor... Amazing!

Imagen relacionada

On the other hand it's the simplicity but not out of originality. The Rio 2016 rings formation by the trees and the expliding confettis is one of the most memorable ones.

Imagen relacionada

• Like 3

The Beijing Olympic Rings were awesome. Hopefully, the drones that will be used in Pyeongchang 2018 OC will be formed by drones.

4 hours ago, olympiaki-agones said:

The rings formation from Tokyo'64 by those planes flying around the stadium and Mexico'68 balloon rings flying away with the snowy volcanoes as a scenery were also memorable as well as the gymnastic ring formation in Mowcow'80. Barcelona and Sydney were dull. Was there any ring formation in Nagano? I don't remember.

No, there weren't...

4 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

No, there weren't...

Well, actually they kinda did formed the rings. if you remember the world chorus singing the Ode to Joy, the people at Sydney were forming the Olympic Rings (probably as a nod to the fact they were hosting the games after). 

Just some minutes away from another Olympic Opening Ceremony, this time I will recapitulate some Winter Games cauldrons and the way how they were lit....

Inssbruck 1976. The distinctive feature of this lit, was the second cauldron. Since the caudron in Innsbruck was lit for a second time just with 12 years apart.

In 2012 a third cauldron was added due to the Winter YOG.

Image result for Innsbruck 1976

Image result for Innsbruck 2012 cauldron

Lake Placid 1980. The first mechanical winter Cauldron. After it was lit, it went up to the top pf the structure.

Image result for lake placid 1980 cauldron

Image result for lake placid 1980 opening ceremony

Sarajevo 1984. Lit by Sadra Dubravcic, the torch entered the stadium by a skier and then it gets the cauldron after a colorfull display while she was ascending....

Image result for sarajevo 1984 opening ceremony

Calgary 1988. Another mechanical Cauldron lit by, then 12 years old skier, Robbyn Perry who was announced as a "future Olympian" (was she?) at McMahon Stadium.

Image result for calgary 1988 opening ceremony

Image result for calgary 1988 opening ceremony cauldron

Albertville 1992. The soccer player Michel Platini lit the caudron with a, then 5 years old, boy at the "Theatres des ceremonies"

Image result for albertville 1992 opening ceremony

Image result for albertville 1992 opening ceremony cauldron

Lilllehammer 1994. The conical cauldron was lit by the Prince Haakon Magnus after the toch entered the natural snow stage by an unforgetable sky jump executed by Stein Gruben.

In 2016, 22 years after, his daughter the Princess Ingrid Alexandra lit the same cauldron for the 2016 WInter YOG

Image result for lillehammer 1994 opening ceremony jump

Related image

Related image

Nagano 1998 The world champion figure skater Midori Ito lit the multicolor Japanese cauldron.

Image result for nagano 1998 opening ceremony cauldron

Salt Lake 2002. The Ice hockey golden medalist team of Lake Placid 1980, lit the cauldron led by the captain Mike Eruzione.

Personally speaking, my favorite Winter Cauldron.

Related image

Torino 2006. Stefania Belmondo lit the tallest Winter cauldron so far by a spectacular fireworks display.

Image result for torino 2006 opening ceremony cauldron

Image result for torino 2006 opening ceremony cauldron

Related image

Vancouver 2010. The innovative factor was a second cauldron was lit downtown by Wayne Gretzky , being this second one, the cauldron that people could visit.

It's remembered the fail at the moment of the lit since one of the four poles that were part of the cauldron, did not lift.

At the closing ceremony they made fun of this fail prior to the ceremony. 

Image result for vancouver 2010 cauldron opening ceremony

Image result for vancouver 2010 cauldron

Sochi 2014. The second cauldron outside the stadium is located at the center of the Olympic Park. Lit by hockey player Vladislav Tretiak and the figure skater Irina Rodnina.

Image result for sochi 2014 cauldron

Image result for sochi 2014 cauldron

PyeongChang 2018. This cauldron is inspired by the Korean pottery. At the moment of this post we still don't know who is going to lit it and how... (despite some spoiler pics gave us an idea)

Related image

NOW IT'S THE TIME!!!

LET'S ENJOY ANOTHER OLYMPIC CEREMONY!!!

• Like 2

Torino and London. But its not just ceremonies but the fact that song is overall overrated and overused as hell. Plus, with a country like SK which should have many national talents, they should had used a song of their own. The formation of the Doves was nice, though.

We're gettiing official pictures now. No Reuters though because of trying to spoil the show a week ago.

http://time.com/5141249/olympics-opening-ceremony-photos/?utm_campaign=time&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=time_socialflow_twitter

10winter8_1518181752.jpg

pyeongchang-winter-olympics-2018-opening

https://www.nst.com.my/world/2018/02/333911/fireworks-opening-ceremony-starts-pyeongchang-olympics

10winter4_1518181535.jpg

10winter7_1518181547.jpg

10winter5_1518181539.jpg

10winter6_1518181543.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/02/sport/winter-olympics-cnnphotos/index.html

12-olympics-0209.jpg

14-olympics-0209.jpg

09-olympics-0209.jpg

07-olympics-0209.jpg

03-olympics-0209.jpg

15-olympics-0209.jpg

16-olympics-0209.jpg

02-olympics-0209.jpg

10-olympics-0209.jpg

01-olympics-0209.jpg

11-olympics-0209.jpg

04-olympics-0209.jpg