^^ Seven years, actually, not counting two failed bid campaigns. They wanted to host the games so badly only to now give up at NK tantrums. While I understand this was done for the sake of a brief moment of peace, I also understand the frustrations of many who want their flag to be leading their athletes. I mean, that flag always represented Korea as a whole for many decades, or at least while they were still during the Japanese colonial period.

They better at least raise the SK flag and play their anthem or people will be very mad. At least i'm glad South Korea is still going to perform at the games as an individual team, though. 

The South Korea flag will be raised only during the playing of the Korean National Anthem at the start of the Ceremony but the two nations will march as "Korea" during the Parade of Athletes and field a unified women's Hockey team 

• Like 1

Opinion about the Unification Flag is polarizing, with 49% of people are in favor of using separate flags for both North and South while 40% are in favor of the Unification flag. On the other hand, most South Koreans are annoyed at having a joing female hockey team, since it will mean both a lost oportunity for many SK athletes as well for putting their medal chances at risk.

It's official now. Thomas Bach has approved the request of both Koreas. We will see the Unification Flag at the opening ceremony.

Yes... very annoying, unwise... But let's see this Korea's marching as  a sign of a true  Olympic Truce in a very tense moment... anyway it will make history!!!

But it's not fair!!!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-2018-nors-tonga/olympics-tongas-bare-chested-flagbearer-qualifies-for-pyeongchang-idUSKBN1FA0VC?utm_source=34553&utm_medium=partner

Omg he actually did it :lol: . Though is he going to march in Pyeongchang barechested again, considering the harsh cold? :P 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-2018-nors-tonga/olympics-tongas-bare-chested-flagbearer-qualifies-for-pyeongchang-idUSKBN1FA0VC?utm_source=34553&utm_medium=partner

Omg he actually did it :lol: . Though is he going to march in Pyeongchang barechested again, considering the harsh cold? :P 

I hope he actually does it

38 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Medals Plaza so far.

Looking good!

On 1/20/2018 at 7:47 PM, Ikarus360 said:

It's official now. Thomas Bach has approved the request of both Koreas. We will see the Unification Flag at the opening ceremony.

It is a matter of perspective.

I do not see it as NK stealing, but SK generously extneding a hand of peace. It shows a nondefeative attitude. They have a shared history. This is the hope and dream of one day they will be united again.  I think they should march under the united fag with the NK and SK flag behind one on each side. We are two going forth as one.

Relationa between Japan and Korea seem to have also improved (after the recent drama due to the reevaluation of the 2015 treaty concerning the occupation era confort women) . It is reported Shinzo Abe will attend the Opening Ceremony.

https://www.word-booster.com/download/dfaed25e-57bd-4f9a-a667-aab31d16ed45

That would make three heads of state already confirmed to attend (alongside Emanuel Macron and Mike Pence)

They decided to take a comedic route to teach the correct/proper way of dressing for the Opening so you don't get frostbite/hypotermia.

Here is a list of the confirmed VIP for the Opening Ceremony so far (this also include those who confirmed their intention to attend) Btw, former president Lee Myung-bak (who was in power when Pyeongchang won the olympics back in 2011) was invited to assist. I hope the VIP seats have enough heating, then :lol: 

• - France: President Emmanuel Macron
  • -Germany: President Frank Walter Steinmeier
  • -Netherlands: King Willem Alexander and Prime Minister Mark Rutte (Willem was also in Rio 2016)
  • -Norway: Prime Minister Erna Solberg
  • -Sweden: King Carl XVI Gustaf
  • -Slovakia: President Andrej Kiska
  • -Slovenia: President Borut Pahor
  • -Canada: GG Julie Fayette and PM Justin Trudeau
  • -Malaysia: PM Najik Razak (Malaysia is debuting at the WOG)
  • -United States: Vice President Mike Pence and Ivanka Trump

It was reported the Baltic countries also wanted to send a representative each.

Well, we all know Shinzo Abe (PM of Japan) is attending.

There will be a dress rehearsal on 3rd Feb. Awesome. Hopefully, there will be lots of pictures so we can further analyse the OC like what happened at Rio 2016.

Thanks for the info! I guess this means secrecy is pretty much going to be over very soon :P 

I know this is the spoilers thread but maybe after the rehearsal I advise uploading pictures to Imgur and posting the links to the gallery instead of embedding them at the thread. 

Also, the flags were finally hoisted at the stadium.

Only 1 week to go until the Opening Ceremony!!!:D

• Like 1

Massive spoilers in 12 hours. They say cameras are restricted and stuff but we all know someone will find their way to spoil :P . Also we can get to know the comments/opinions of some people regarding the show.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/pyeongchang2018/2018/02/02/7201000000AEN20180202005200320.html

(Olympics) Rehearsal of PyeongChang opening ceremony set for Saturday

SEOUL, Feb. 2 (Yonhap) -- A rehearsal for the opening ceremony of the PyeongChang Winter Olympics will be held Saturday, its organizing committee said.

The event will be held at PyeongChang Olympic Stadium at 8 p.m. before 20,000 people, including volunteers, residents and officials, the organizer said.

The participants will be asked to keep details of the event secret. Organizers said unauthorized filming of the rehearsal or leaking details of the ceremony will be strictly banned, and violators can be held legally responsible.

Last month, an international news agency has been denied access to the opening ceremony of the competition after it filed several photos of the rehearsal without permission.

The 2018 Winter Games will kick off in PyeongChang, located 180 kilometers east of Seoul, for a 17-day run next Friday. The competition is expected to become the largest of its kind, with nearly 3,000 athletes from 92 nations visiting South Korea.

For the opening ceremony, visitors are banned from bringing explosives, sharp metal products, such as knives or scissors, and other objects that can make noise. Cameras will be restricted for the rehearsal.

Organizers said visitors should also be prepared for freezing weather as the temperature may fall to minus 12 C on Saturday.

Next Friday, the day of the official opening ceremony, the temperature is expected to drop as low as minus 7 C, while the wind chill may be minus 14 C.

23 minutes ago, anthonyliberatori said:

Has the actual OC sold out yet? Does anyone know a rough estimate of the number of people to expect there?

The stadium has a capacity of 35.000 people. As for the Opening, I heard it has almost sold out one week ago. But i don't have an exact number. 

Well...it seems extreme right conservative groups who are still pissed about North Korea participation at the games are planning to call rallies the Opening day nearby the stadium to denounce Kim Jong Un's regime, as reported by the police. I hope this doesn't becomes a Taipei Universiade 2.0 (the parade of nations being sabotaged by protests due to domestic issues).

http://v.sports.media.daum.net/v/20180203060301481?f=m&rcmd=re

The opening ceremony of the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games is scheduled to be held on September 9, and the extreme right conservative groups are expected to confound the day of the event by announcing a rally condemning Kim Jong-un, chairman of the North Korean Labor Party, on the opening day.
Recently, conservative groups are continuing to perform photographs of Kim Jong Eun and artificial airplanes in Seoul and other places in connection with the participation of North Korean athletes.

According to the Gangwon Pyeongchang Police Station, 450 right-wing conservative groups such as the National Committee for National Emergency Measures, the National Movement for New Korea, and the Patriotic Taekwanggi Movement Headquarters will hold a rally for one day at the transit venue near the Olympic Plaza near the opening ceremony to be.

These groups have already declared a meeting a week ago and claim to "mobilize more than 1,000 people," and the number of the rallies and groups can continue to increase.

The rightwing groups are planning to cry out against North Korea's participation in the PyeongChang Olympics and overthrowing the North Korean regime at the opening ceremony. Also, it will not prevent the impulsive behavior of some participants such as Kim Jong Eun,

"I decided to hold a rally in Pyeongchang to overthrow the North Korean regime," said Seo Kyung-suk, a member of the group's executive committee.

In addition, conservative Taegukgi Movement Headquarters is planning to hold a "opposition against the use of the Korean Peninsula" at the opposite side of Gangneung Station during the Olympic Games.

Some conservative groups such as the patriotic party of the previous month on 22nd of last month unveiled the performance of the burning ceremony which burned the photograph of the chairperson of the labor leader of the Kim Jong Eun and received the restraint of the police. The Seoul Namdaemun Police Department is investigating the alleged violation of the law on assembly and reporting.

As a result, the police, who are in charge of guarding the venue near the venue, are making every effort to protect the police. If there are elements of illegal gathering such as performances of burning ceremony of participants of gathering, it is the position to respond actively in the field.

A police official said, "When conservative groups perform burning ceremony performances, they will actively take action, for example, by igniting the fire."