Intel just posted this vid regarding the Drone segment and....

This just adds salt to the wound. :( They actually formed the rings over the stadium at a point but during the actual ceremony? Nothing, nada. What a big wasted opportunity.

23 hours ago, kevzz said:

Geez is there no other song in the world? They always have to truck out this old cliche song at every ceremony like this...... bored of it!

Heck, even if Havana, Cuba were to host one day they would still have someone sing "Imagine". But of course, they have the excuse of having a statue of John Lennon (sitting on a bench) in one of their parks.

3 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Those pixel paddles are 4x4 rather than the 3x3 used in London 2012. To the best of my knowledge, the paddles which Tait hired to London never got used anywhere else- and now PC has had a completely new set supplied !

Loved the use of the pixel paddles in both Games, I think it made the look much cleaner

6 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Those pixel paddles are 4x4 rather than the 3x3 used in London 2012. To the best of my knowledge, the paddles which Tait hired to London never got used anywhere else- and now PC has had a completely new set supplied !

Well, PC only has only like 30,000 of them; whereas your London had what? est 75,000?  One really wonders what will become of them?  (I guess sell/lend them to Tokyo 2020 and/or Beijing 2022?)  Just more junk for the planet.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 minutes ago, anthonyliberatori said:

Loved the use of the pixel paddles in both Games, I think it made the look much cleaner

As others have pointed out, one slight disadvantage is that it can make the stadium spectators "disappear"- the extra brightness of the new pixels, combined with the quietness of the PC audience as presented on TV, created a rather sterile atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

How could it have made the look much cleaner?  I think PC used it well, but it was just more visual clutter -- like more BLADE RUNNER billboards surrounding you.  

I think it was probably necessary to add scale though. I couldn't believe how small the performance area looked when it was in use !

Just now, JMarkSnow2012 said:

As others have pointed out, one slight disadvantage is that it can make the stadium spectators "disappear"- the extra brightness of the new pixels, combined with the quietness of the PC audience as presented on TV, created a rather sterile atmosphere.

I also pointed this out in a previous statement, not sure if it was in this thread or in my ceremony review, but I did note that it made the stadium spectators disappear. Combined with minimal crowd noise, it was not good in that regard, but it also helped distract from the empty seat sections scattered throughout the stadium. 

1 minute ago, baron-pierreIV said:

How could it have made the look much cleaner?  I think PC used it well, but it was just more visual clutter -- like more BLADE RUNNER billboards surrounding you.  

I am mostly referencing the Parade of Nations, having the country name and flags go through the stadium as the countries entered made it seem much more advanced to me. I thought it was a good touch overall, particularly with the parade though. It could've been visual clutter at times, but I did find myself enjoying it for the most part. 

10 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

I think it was probably necessary to add scale though. I couldn't believe how small the performance area looked when it was in use !

I thought the stage was perfect size.  (I wonder how big it was compared to SLC 2002's round ice rink?  -- God, I can't type this A.M. for the life of me.)  It was easy enough to get everyone in and out quickly.  Did your BBC version show the interloper?  (Our NBC version pointed it out purposely.)  The small stage only required them to use 1,200 performers supposedly + remember that is what Rio resorted to in their closing when they laid out like 8,500 seats on the Maracana field floor to seat the SOG athletes, thereby shrinking the performance area by probably more than 50%.   

Edited by baron-pierreIV

9 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I thought the stage was perfect size.  It was easy enough to get everyone in and out quickly.  Did your BBC version show the interloper?  (Our NBC version pointed it out purposely.)  The small stage only required them to use 1,200 performers supposedly + remember that is what Rio resorted to in their closing when they laid out like 85,00 seats on the Maracana floor to seat the SOG athletes, thereby shrinking the performance area.  

Any stage is "perfect size" in a sense: the advantage of a custom-built stadium is that you can make it that bit smaller, and reduce cast size, props etc. accordingly. When the athletes were parading, though, you got a real sense of smallness (and I wonder if that was another factor encouraging a fast parade pace- teams which straggle and dawdle would look a lot more obvious in this stadium than they did in full-sized athletic stadiums).

I didn't notice the interloper incident, so possibly the main feed avoided it.

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Did your BBC version show the interloper?  (Our NBC version pointed it out purposely.)

Revisiting the video, I can confirm that you'd hardly know the intruder was (twice!) there unless you knew exactly where to look. Not only did the BBC commentators not mention him, they scarcely mentioned anything not absolutely essential to understanding the performance, and tried to keep completely quiet except at the changes from one scene to another. At last they seem to be getting the message that less really is more on these occasions.

the nbc coverage was stupid, catie couric looks like Hillary Clinton now......and she and her guy partner just yammered on and on sounding like annoying robots reading boring fact after fact as though they never read it before. ...and many of the prepared comments were quite lame ....

Couric: "the field is white which is a color often seen in Korea in winter as snow becomes a regular occurrence during this historically cold time of year.......it typically can blanket the ground and create a "white" affect similar to the one created tonight on this amazing stage floor!"

giphy.gif

On this shot one can clearly see there were indeed many empty seats during the Opening. An embarrassment if you ask me. If the harsh weather was the main reason, I hope future winter hosts (at least those from places with high cold temperatures ) take note from this to never, ever do a ceremony completely outdoors. 

0xrB7oY.jpg

Forget about the drones forming the Olympic Rings. For most netizens this was the most memorable (or scary) moment of the Opening Ceremony :P 

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2018/2/9/16996994/pyeongchang-2018-winter-olympics-inmyeonjo-human-faced-bird-puppet

The internet can’t decide whether it loves or fears the Pyeongchang Olympics’ human-faced sacred bird

The opening ceremony featured a puppet that’s already inspired an international wave of fascination and fan art

916106446.jpg.1518212075.jpg

NBC isn’t even streaming the Winter Olympics opening ceremony until 8pm ET tonight, but in the time since the event happened live yesterday in Pyeongchang, Korean netizens have made enough fan art and memes out of the ceremony’s man-faced bird that it’s trending nationally on Twitter, and hitting #1 on Yahoo! Japan trending search results.

“인면조,” or Inmyeonjo, literally translates to “human-faced bird.” The trending tag “인면조 너무” translates to “Inmyeonjo is so,” which is a partial sentence people have completed in different ways, including “Inmyeonjo is so scary,” and “Inmyeonjo is so handsome.” People feel very strongly about this animal one way or another, but are divided on whether it’s terrifying:

Or actually kind of dreamy:

Translation: “The more I look at it, the better-looking it seems.”

Translation: “I love the Inmyeonjo”

So just what is this thing? The Inmyeonjo is a legendary animal that appears in East Asian mythology and Buddhist scripture as a fantastical creature with a human head and a bird’s torso. It dates back to the Goguryeo period of Korean history, even appearing in cave drawings:

Translation: This bird from Pyeongchang Opening ceremony is called Goguryeo Inmyeonjo. They can be found in ancient tombs and several cultural properties from the Goguryeo era, including the famous old tomb in Deokheung-ri. From the left, it’s called Ha-jo, Cheon-ju, and Man-se. The right one is the human-faced bird from a particular ancient tomb, but there is no name for it.

The Inmyeonjo is supposed to appear when there’s peace on earth, connecting the heavens and the earth for a thousand years — which explains why the Olympics would consider it a potent symbol of international union. True to its duty as a supposed symbol of unity, it’s certainly unifying the internet in terror and confusion.

Translation: “I searched Inmyeonjo in Chinese and the related searches are ‘Inmyeonjo scary’ lolol”

Here’s an extreme close-up to haunt/bless your dreams tonight, depending on how you feel about it.

Translation: Anyone want to see the Inmyeonjo look hideous? Lololol

It’s been less than 24 hours since the world has been introduced to Inmyeonjo, and already there’s enough gorgeous and haunting fan art for a parody twitter account posing as the birdto keep track of it all. It promises to protect you and reminds you to love yourself, so I’m guessing its persona is firmly on Team “Handsome Guardian.”

Additional translation provided by James Park.

NBC ratings just came out. The ceremony was behind Sochi but surprisingly , it was above Rio 2016 (I didn't knew Rio opening ratings were one of the lowest) . It also surpassed those of Torino 2006 and Barcelona 92

http://deadline.com/2018/02/olympics-opening-ceremony-ratings-down-pyeongchang-nbc-1202284486/

The actual white tiger and K-Pop filled Opening Ceremony of the XXIII Winter Olympics occurred early on Friday morning in PyeongChang and was widely streamed and disseminated by the time NBC put on its primetime show last night.

But with geopolitical tensions, VIP seating plans, 1,200 pre-recorded morphing drones, VR and the newly minted team of Katie Couric and Mike Tirico, the Comcast-owned net made the event seem almost as brand new and sparkling as the ice beneath 2010 figure skating Olympic champion Yuna Kim when she lit the cauldron at the end of the live across all time zones extravaganza.

Still, despite thousands of performances, a distinct injection of imagination and that always trivia filled Parade of Nations, and coming off a less than gold initial and unofficial first day, NBC came up short in the ratings, again

In metered market results and with very little competition from the rest of the Big 4, the more than three and a half hour Opening Ceremony coverage of the South Korea-set Games snared a 16.9/5 rating.

Nowhere near even a bronze medal, that’s down 9% from what the February 7, 2014Opening Ceremony of the XXII Winter Olympics from Sochi delivered in the early numbers. In fact last night’s coverage of the opener of the 2018 Winter Olympics currently stands as the 11th high rated non-U.S. Olympic opening ever.

Fronted by Olympics first timer Tirico and now four-time Opening Ceremony vet Couric, last night’s coverage hit its high in the 9 – 915 PM ET slot with a 18.6/31 as Team USA entered the stadium in South Korea.

In the final numbers, the Sochi Opening Ceremony pulled in drew 31.7 million viewers and an 8.7 rating among adults 18-49. A result that was a slip of 3% in viewership and 7% in 18-49 from the Opening Ceremony of Vancouver 2010,

Having said that, while its not quite winter apples to winter apples, the Opening Ceremony of the PyeongChang Olympics actually made it just across the finish line ahead of the Rio Summer Olympics of 2016. Last night’s shindig was up just over 2% in MM ratings over the tape-delayed opener from Brazil just under two years ago.

Elsewhere on broadcast Friday night, the CW’s Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (0.2 in adults 18-49; 620,000 viewers) and Jane the Virgin (0.3; 790,000) both held steady, with the latter actually increasing its audience to hit a season-high Live+same day viewership.

CBS’ Olympics counter-programming, Big Brother: Celebrity Edition, drew the biggest non-Olympics numbers of the night, 1.0 in adults 18-49, 4.3 million viewers while dropping -29% from Thursday in the demo. (1.8, 1.4, 1.0 for its three editions to date).

Following a Charlie Brown Valentine Day special (0.6, 2.8 million), Child Support (0.4, 2.2 million) hit a season lows in its finale. Fox reran the Who Shot Biggie and Tupac? special.

We’ll update with more Opening Ceremony numbers and more from the actual events and medalling of the 2018 Winter Olympics later. While you wait, here is the list of top non-U.S. Olympics Opening Ceremonies, and we warn you, there are a couple of ties:

NON-U.S. OPENING CEREMONY OVERNIGHT RATINGS

1. London – 2012 23.0/40 NBC
2. Beijing – 2008 21.5/37 NBC
3. Lillehammer – 1994 21.0/34 CBS
4. Vancouver – 2010 20.0/33 NBC
5. Nagano – 1998 18.6/30 CBS
6. Sydney – 2000 18.5/32 NBC (tied with Sochi 2014 – NBC)
7. Seoul – 1988 18.3/33 NBC
8. Athens – 2004 18.0/30 NBC
9. Sarajevo – 1984 17.2/27 ABC
10. Calgary – 1988 17.0/40 ABC
11. PyeongChang – 2018 16.9/29 NBC
12. Barcelona – 1992 16.5/32 NBC (tied with Rio 2016 – NBC)
13. Albertville – 1992 16.0/26 CBS
14. Torino – 2006 14.7/23 NBC

Someone may have mentioned this somewhere else, but has anyone from the ceremonies team come out to comment on anything that was in the show that they were not able to pull off on the night for whatever reason. I noticed a  few of the props in the lead up leaks  were not featured (I guess potentially they could be for the closing).

20 minutes ago, mattygs said:

Someone may have mentioned this somewhere else, but has anyone from the ceremonies team come out to comment on anything that was in the show that they were not able to pull off on the night for whatever reason. I noticed a  few of the props in the lead up leaks  were not featured (I guess potentially they could be for the closing).

In the leaks, there was a Pagoda which was supposed to be used for the ceremonies, but we didn't saw it on the Opening, so I guess it's probably something for the closing ceremony instead. I haven't read much but it seems the producers were very relieved the weather didn't gave them any headaches (though it seems it was the main cause some seats were empty)

11 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

On this shot one can clearly see there were indeed many empty seats during the Opening. An embarrassment if you ask me. If the harsh weather was the main reason, I hope future winter hosts (at least those from places with high cold temperatures ) take note from this to never, ever do a ceremony completely outdoors. 

0xrB7oY.jpg

It was kinda hard to tell with those LED light things.

In this photo, if people were standing up, they block the lights. If they remain seated, the seat may appear empty in contrast.

On the second tier to the left of the ramp I am pretty sure there was a DPRK cheering section but it appears as blue lights in the pic.

The Opening Ceremony was amazing, breathtaking, stunning and awesome. The one thing that I disliked about the OC was that it was too calm. I hope the Closing Ceremony will feature more of a wow factor and that it ends Pyeongchang 2018 with bang

• Like 1