1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

These renders are from the official PC2018 website (the Paralympic section, most specifically), alongside sections of the Website dedicated for both the Olympic and Paralympics ceremonies.

https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/culture/olympic-ceremony

https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/culture/paralympics-ceremony

Funny. The website is kind of implying the cultural performances will begin after all the Protocol segments are done. So i'm not sure if this is true or they want to do a repeat of Seoul '88 (dividing the cultural performances before and after the protocol segments)

Tantalisingly, the Korean version, at least for the Olympic Opening Ceremony, is less specific than the English: seemingly lacking an equivalent for the terms, "Pre-show" and "Post-show".

They say the ceremony will only last 120 minutes, but I think this only includes the protocol and the welcome ceremony. Not mentioning the parade of nations and speeches almost always take longer than expected (specially now with Thomas Bore-i mean, Bach) 

New pic from inside. Too bad it doesn't shows the stage, though it seems it snowed heavily today. Also lots of cables coming from above. 

By the way, I suggest you keep a look at that Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/stageoneltd/

He works for Stage One Creatives, an UK company which works for creative manufacture. It seems SOC is involved at the Opening Ceremony, and judging for some pics like this one, it seems they're involved with the props. They worked for the Athens 2011 Special Olympics Opening. 

Doing a more deep research seems they're a very known and experienced face at sport ceremonies. They've worked in most of the recent Olympics(sans Beijing and Rio) when it came to Props.

• Athens 2004: The Cyclaidic head during the "Allegory" segment, as well for the Cablenet system used to lift the props (This is funny because @baron-pierreIV did a comparison some posts ago between the hole of PC stage and Athens. Seems like you were right :P).
  • Vancouver 2010: Both the cable system and the Northern Light props.
  • London 2012: Worked on Pandemonium segment , doing both the cable system and the chimneys. They also helped with Heatherwick's Olympic Cauldron.
  • Sochi 2014 (they built the track system in the temporary roof used to lift those spectacular massive props we saw almost 4 years ago). 
  • Baku 2015: The flying Promeganate and the floor cracking/transformation into mountains scene. 

They also worked recently for the Ashgabat 2017 Asian Indoor Games. Guess we can rest more or less assured the level of the props on this ceremony won't dissapoint. 

On 11/24/2017 at 12:42 PM, Ikarus360 said:

These renders are from the official PC2018 website (the Paralympic section, most specifically), alongside sections of the Website dedicated for both the Olympic and Paralympics ceremonies.

https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/culture/olympic-ceremony

https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/culture/paralympics-ceremony

img-ceremony-para01.png

img-ceremony-para03.png

Funny. The website is kind of implying the cultural performances will begin after all the Protocol segments are done. So i'm not sure if this is true or they want to do a repeat of Seoul '88 (dividing the cultural performances before and after the protocol segments)

120 minutes only? That seems... short, even by WOG standards. Unless the teams are really small, it’s still going to take at least an hour for the Parade of Nations alone.

As for comparisons to Seoul, I’m honestly not certain. I remember the Opening Ceremonies were only a small part of a much larger show that started in the Han and made its way to the stadium. It was really impressive, but not very well communicated what it all meant to US audiences, I’m sorry to say.

I really don’t think that will be encores for PC. For one, Korea has done this before. No need to go quite as big for the second Olympics, even if it is their first Winter Games. Second, it’s going to be at least cold. I don’t think they will want to do the big show for hours on end. I could be wrong, but keep in streamlined, you got two weeks to party.

6 hours ago, mattperiolat said:

120 minutes only? That seems... short, even by WOG standards. Unless the teams are really small, it’s still going to take at least an hour for the Parade of Nations alone.

As for comparisons to Seoul, I’m honestly not certain. I remember the Opening Ceremonies were only a small part of a much larger show that started in the Han and made its way to the stadium. It was really impressive, but not very well communicated what it all meant to US audiences, I’m sorry to say.

I really don’t think that will be encores for PC. For one, Korea has done this before. No need to go quite as big for the second Olympics, even if it is their first Winter Games. Second, it’s going to be at least cold. I don’t think they will want to do the big show for hours on end. I could be wrong, but keep in streamlined, you got two weeks to party.

I think the 120 minutes thing is only an estimate or just includes the protocol, to be honest I wouldn't trust much what's on that site since much of the info seems to be very old (they even have renders of the stage when it was planned to be pentagonal) The parade of nations and speeches always take much longer than expected. Lillehammer and Albertville ceremonies were also around 2 hours but that was because the nations which marched in were less than today. I think the actual ceremony will be more or less 3 hours. 

3 hours ago, Waldi said:

2nv6u85.png

Nice picture. For what I read yesterday, it snowed heavily at Pyeongchang. It's going to be tough for the ceremonies planners to constantly deal with snowstorms. If I were they I would jus't leave everything covered in snow (Vancouver had artificial snow on the stage at least) but it seems they're cleaning part of the stage, so it might not likely be the case. 

We have to pay attention with those three hangars around. Seems like they're assembling/building the props over there. 

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

I think the 120 minutes thing is only an estimate or just includes the protocol, to be honest I wouldn't trust much what's on that site since much of the info seems to be very old (they even have renders of the stage when it was planned to be pentagonal) The parade of nations and speeches always take much longer than expected. Lillehammer and Albertville ceremonies were also around 2 hours but that was because the nations which marched in were less than today. I think the actual ceremony will be more or less 3 hours. 

65 countries in Albertville, I think 69 or 70 in Lillehammer. Was even smaller before the Jamaican wave in Calgary. Seems almost quaint now and it was only twenty years ago!

Upshot is it will be a minimum of three hours. I have yet to see an Opening or Closing Ceremony go less than three in all the years I’ve been watching. Bigger concern now is, for the first time in a while, it will feel like a Winter Games being outdoors in the snow. Haven’t seen that since Lillehammer. The organizers had better be ready for the true enemy of any Winter Games - the weather.

Inded

43 minutes ago, mattperiolat said:

65 countries in Albertville, I think 69 or 70 in Lillehammer. Was even smaller before the Jamaican wave in Calgary. Seems almost quaint now and it was only twenty years ago!

Upshot is it will be a minimum of three hours. I have yet to see an Opening or Closing Ceremony go less than three in all the years I’ve been watching. Bigger concern now is, for the first time in a while, it will feel like a Winter Games being outdoors in the snow. Haven’t seen that since Lillehammer. The organizers had better be ready for the true enemy of any Winter Games - the weather.

Indeed. I see a lot of people complaining about it these days, but no one did in either SLC, Lillehammer or Albertville (specially Lillehammer). Probably these last 3 games of doing ceremonies on either roofed or completly covered stadiums made them lose the habit. :P . However I'm sure the organizers must have reinforced that Cablenet system a lot so it can resist the unmerciful Pyeongchang's weather. Not sure how they will be able to make that rumored drone segment with strong winds, though. 

I would calm down, really. Remember last year when they also said Rio ceremony would be less than 3 hours and it ended up having more or less the regular lenght of your average Olympic ceremony? In all honesty the info on those segments seems very old/innaccurate. Doubt they want to give out too much details of the ceremonies. The producer also has never said anything about the lenght so far. In fact, he said the budget of the ceremonies might increase even more. 

3 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Inded

Indeed. I see a lot of people complaining about it these days, but no one did in either SLC, Lillehammer or Albertville (specially Lillehammer). Probably these last 3 games of doing ceremonies on either roofed or completly covered stadiums made them lose the habit. :P . However I'm sure the organizers must have reinforced that Cablenet system a lot so it can resist the unmerciful Pyeongchang's weather. Not sure how they will be able to make that rumored drone segment with strong winds, though. 

I would calm down, really. Remember last year when they also said Rio ceremony would be less than 3 hours and it ended up having more or less the regular lenght of your average Olympic ceremony? In all honesty the info on those segments seems very old/innaccurate. Doubt they want to give out too much details of the ceremonies. The producer also has never said anything about the lenght so far. In fact, he said the budget of the ceremonies might increase even more. 

Length isn’t a concern to me, it always evens out at three hours plus. But the conditions are another matter. You can not compare Albertville where it was in the 40s and no snow and SLC with similar conditions to PC where we already have snow on the ground and colder temps. I do think the organizers will work it out, but voicing worry at least proves it’s on our mind.

As with all past hosts, they have time, but if this is not addressed by the beginning of January, I will start being a bit more forceful with the concern.

I still think we should guide ourselves for the render. Stage is looking way too assymetrical to be the real thing at this moment. They probably havent installed everything yet in order to make it easier to workers.However I agree either the corner you pointed or the interrogation marks one are the most believable spots for the flags. 

I also noticed they installed metal bars above the gate where the Athletes are supossed to march in. My guess is they might install something over there (maybe that traditional korean roof from the prop posted earlier?)

DJI took a new vid of the stadium and its suroundings with a Drone camera

New pic from yesterday after an IOC officials inspection. They already cleaned the snow so we can see more details

Indeed, they have built new stairs at the sides of the front slope leading to the cauldron. And given the curved shape the bridge leading to said ramp has I guess it's pretty much confirmed they will leave those spaces empty. I wonder with what purpose, though (Orchestra, the flags, something else about the stage we still don't know yet?)

As for the right side of the pic, nothing much revealing yet. My guess is it will be another slope but they haven't done so yet to allow the crane to keep working in the Cablenet system. 

One thing is sure. It's going to be a very intimate show given the closeness of the seats to the main stage.

9YCHrH6.jpg

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

6ekpyp.jpg

I think there won't be another slope on that side - why would they have covered up the sides 

if they would intend to build a second slope - - - we'll find out soon, as rehearsals start in december :) 

The crane was working right over that segment. They couldnt install anything or else it would had destroyed the wood. And I think, for Symmetry/aesthetics, they should cover that side on the exact way like the other one or else this is going to look like a very strange quilt of random things. 

Nice shot, one can see Alpensia from the distance. This might help for some nice shots (it would be a bit nice if the Alpensia Tower is involved in the opening in some form, at least for nice camera shots). Also seems like they're covering the wood.

Too bad the picture doesn't shows what's going on at the right. I'm still convinced there will be another ramp at the right, though. I think the cablenet system is still not finished yet, though.