• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Very recent video of the Olympic Plaza. looks like they're starting to rise some steel columns on the pit. Probably to hold a structure which would be above everything?

- or to hold a floor through which stuff would emerge. I wonder if those sets of 3 pillars above the middle of each side are supports for jumbotron screens.

On 31/03/2017 at 6:31 PM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Aha. Your previous comment wasn't in answer to my question "So who gets the indoor accommodation in the tall structure at right?"

OK

The commentators I think

On 24/8/2017 at 2:44 AM, Ikarus360 said:

^^ According to the renders i've seen, they seem to be for Jumbotron screens. Also they still havent build anything for the north corner of the pentagon (where many hypotetize there will be a cauldron stair)

Where can we see those renders???

I posted them around this same thread some pages ago. Though the model you posted shows there will be indeed jumbotron screens.

As for your question about the size of the performance, I think it is decent enough for something cool. The pit already confirms there will be props emerging from below (or maybe something cool and innovating we still dont know) and the fireworks pic you posted already seems kind of promising. Stage is not as big as Sochi but it still works for cool stuff. Sometimes having a too huge field leads to make the show feel somewhat empty. Case in point, the opening ceremony of the Universiade didnt have such a huge stage yet the projections still did their work nicely.

18 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

... the opening ceremony of the Universiade didnt have such a huge stage yet the projections still did their work nicely.

Reading that, it occurs to me that unless they have some really tall external towers, PyeongChang probably won't be making as much use of floor projection as most recent Olympic ceremonies. Apart from anything else, with an equilateral five-sided arena there isn't an obvious direction for the sort of "only works for the TV cameras and VIPs" trompe-l'oeil gimmickry we saw in Sochi and Rio, so with luck they'll try something different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm loving the cauldron; it's more or less a large Pyeongchang Olympic Torch. They could decorate it with coloured lights. Overall, I think the Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium and Cauldron is one of the best stadiums I have ever seen and I think Pyeongchang broke barriers in stadium design. This could be an inspiration for future stadium too.

GO PYEONGCHANG!!! :D:lol:

21 minutes ago, PikyoK said:

I'm loving the cauldron; it's more or less a large Pyeongchang Olympic Torch. They could decorate it with coloured lights. Overall, I think the Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium and Cauldron is one of the best stadiums I have ever seen and I think Pyeongchang broke barriers in stadium design. This could be an inspiration for future stadium too.

GO PYEONGCHANG!!! :D:lol:

I also think that they should keep the stadium. That's what I would do if I was head of POCOG.