Saw Zhang Yimou's latest, THE GREAT WALL.  NO, it's not about Donald Frump's moronic Mexican folly; but about China's Great Wall!  Has all the Yimou trademarks of spectacle.  Like 900 soldiers wouldn't do; there would have to be 900,000.  And of course, I agree.  The story is based on legend that the Great Wall was built to keep away a particularly voracious kind of beast (no; not the Republicans -- more like the Aliens without the acid blood) and protect the capital.  Anyway, the battle scenes and armaments were great.  If King Priam and his Trojans had them, there would have been no Trojan Horse and Menelaus and his Greeks would have been sent home packing in the first high tide!!   This film bodes well for the Beijing 2022 ceremonies.  One can never have too much SPECTACLE!!  ;)

• Like 1

I really want to see what Zhang Yimou has prepared for the handover in the closing ceremony. He'll most likely have more liberties than when he did the handover in Athens 2004. Considering his ceremonies in 2008 were and still are the most spectacular to date, imagine what he'll be capable off with the new technologies which have came out since then. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/03/2017 at 5:04 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

They will be.  Remember, only like 2800 athletes bother to come to a Winter Opening.  

- and as the total capacity is around 50,000, they could probably all fit in that lower-left area without ticketed seats. On the other hand, that assigns them "C & D seat" status ...

... but on the gripping hand, doing something significant to the show in that area would be awkward, because it would be directly behind a sizeable percentage of the audience ...

9 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

- and as the total capacity is around 50,000,

Correction. The capacity is now 35.000. They reduced it because of budget. To be fair, 50.000 was too much for a temporary venue. 

Also i forgot to read the note which says "Seat image might differ from actual venue" which heavily implies stuff might change depending of the stage setting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Same picture I posted before, but showing more of the Plaza. Looks like they're starting to dig down to make the tunnels for the ceremony. Also it seems they are indeed going for a circular stage.

17493559_442410516100471_845597116042366

So who gets the indoor accommodation in the tall structure at right? That presumably matches the blank area on the ticketing diagram Ikarus posted earlier, but maybe the message "Seat image might differ from actual venue" relates to this indoor viewing area, though I suppose if one floor is reserved for control rooms etc., the rest could all be for reporters and commentators.

5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

So who gets the indoor accommodation in the tall structure at right? That presumably matches the blank area on the ticketing diagram Ikarus posted earlier, but maybe the message "Seat image might differ from actual venue" relates to this indoor viewing area, though I suppose if one floor is reserved for control rooms etc., the rest could all be for reporters and commentators.

From what I gather that is the athlete seating, box of honour etc. Just to the left of it you can see the ground a lighter shade. That's is where the athlete's will come true (sort of like Lillehammer 1994 and SLC 2002).

4 hours ago, intoronto said:

From what I gather that is the athlete seating, box of honour etc. Just to the left of it you can see the ground a lighter shade. That's is where the athlete's will come true (sort of like Lillehammer 1994 and SLC 2002).

Hmmm. The problem I have with that is that it means the athletes will parade in, then immediately go and hide behind the windows of the tall stand. That's probably better for their health, but not brilliant for the ceremony.

2 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Hmmm. The problem I have with that is that it means the athletes will parade in, then immediately go and hide behind the windows of the tall stand. That's probably better for their health, but not brilliant for the ceremony.

The athletes are going to be sitting in the stands...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 0:31 AM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Aha. Your previous comment wasn't in answer to my question "So who gets the indoor accommodation in the tall structure at right?"

My guess is that it will be the IOC family (the officials, the VIPs) the press boxes, the sponsors, the Ceremony's producers, and special guests.  It will be easier to secure.  (Heck, dumb Trump might even go; altho I think he will send Ivanka and Jared.)  Ground floor for that structure could also be dressing room and staging areas for the performers. 

No, the athletes (about 3,800) will sit outside with the rest of paying public.  

Next big question: where will the cauldron be??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Next big question: where will the cauldron be??

Supplementary Next Big Question: will they be installing various pylons around the periphery of the arena to support a cable system (and one of them possibly also to house the cauldron)?

Some renders show there will be indeed Pylons on each corner of the Plaza, so I wouldn't worry much about it. As for the cauldron, seems possible it will be on the front corner of the "pentagon" which is looking to the main tribune (kind of like Nagano) but that could change. 

• 1 month later...