Phew! Made it back to Kathmandu. Barely...

Okay over to you Bob.

Sigh. I didn't really wanna touch Bob Seger. But have you actually heard any real Nepali pop? :blink:  Not to mention I ended up scrambling to get this all ready when I thought I'd have another day or two... or three. The sherpas had to carry me running the last stretch of the way. Oh well...

Namaste! Mesdames et Monsieurs, Ladies and Gentlemen, Your Holiness, Welcome to Kathmandu city's Durbar Square for the announcement of the winner of the logo for the Kathmandu 2030 Winter Olympic Games.

And a red letter day it is. For the very first time in GamesBids comp history we have a winner in a single round of voting!!!

I'd been lulled into a false sense of security. When I look in this morning we had 16 votes (17 soon after) with none having a majority. I was set to be eliminated with a single vote (thanks Gotosy - no thanks to the rest of you... how rude!) and round 2 was set to proceed. But then, on closer examination (after prompting) it was revealed two of the votes couldn't be counted. Both of them (Daliaroze and Kfir for logo A) failed to meet elbility requirements - Dalia joined up just today, and Kfir on Monday, both well outside the december 1 2016 eligibilty cut-off. Which left us with 15 votes valid, and one entry with eight of them - over the 50 per cent mark.

To make the announcement of who that is, I'll hand over to His Holiness the Dalai Lama - 1976 Olympic gold medalist in fencing Thomas Bach has been demoted to Envelope Girl. Over to you Dalai, err, lama, err, Your Holiness...

Dalai Lama: Namaste. Om Mani Padme Hum. Thank you Sir Lols. I am very very much joyed by the karma of this event. May Peace and Dharma rain upon the winner of this competition, and all of the participants. For those who not winners, may Karma reward and bless you in your next reincarnation. For the winner, bask in the glow of the Buddha. And that winner is......

Paul!

43BeDB.jpg

u7qYQz.jpg

Sir Rols: Thank You Your Holiness. And Congratulations Paul! Another notch on the belt. Well done. And thanks for your support of my efforts, in public and behind the scenes. A class act. So that's two from two from this logo season - can you make it the clean sweep? We'll see.

Okay, so official results from our first and only round of voting.  Logo A (Glacib) on 2; Logo B (JO2024) on 2; Logo C (Paul) on 8; Logo D (Thatsnotmypuppy) 2; and Logo E (me) on 1. Sigh! I expected to be eliminated, but on just one........??????

Okay, so that wraps this round up. Far quicker than I expected. The next stage, Hamburg-Havana, will start in a day or two (I may take a rest day tomorrow). Stay tuned. For those making the trip to Hamburg for the launch, Martin (member Citius Altius Fortius) has some beds and sofas free at his place. See you there.

Namaste and Peace be with you!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Crikey - I dare to go on a break for 4 days and not only is the competition clsed but voting is completed.

So congrats Paul - honestly I did not see you winning with this - it is way too generic and doesn't have a single 'Nepalese' element bar arguing the colours are seen in Buddhism.

Thanks for my two votes! For what it is worth - Rols you would have had my vote.

• Like 1

Pups - I learned from you the value of not dragging polls out for too long. It's rare to see rankings change much, or even many new votes, after the first 24 hours. I didn't see the single round victory coming though. I was still thinking I had time to book someone other than Bob Seeger.

To be honest, I thought mine was too busy. I liked my mandalas when used separately, but had to find a way to bring them together, where I think they came over as just too complex. I really did it to try and drum up a bit of interest anyway, and i wanted to try and get something a bit more Nepali in there. Anyway, that's how the comps go.

With Paul's, I was won over with his poster showing it transposed across a Stupa - that fixed it as a Nepali element to me. I thought your Tokyo redux had a real chance of getting support as well.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Thank you guys who voted! Believe it or not I did put a good amount of thought into this logo but I really didn't think it would win. I was going to post some inspiration and meaning in the next round. There is meaning in the color, shape and organization of the elements etc., I kinda got into it but I didn't want to post too much cuz I always post a lot of stuff.

Congrats to everyone who entered and made cool stuff to look at (especially Rols! who had a cool logo). -paul

Edited by paul
  • Like 1

Congrats Paul, definitely the logo that stood out to me - and very rare the logo I vote for wins!

The multi-coloured snowflake was too simple (especially in monochrome where it'd just be a snowflake!), the flowery snowflake too complex, the Tokyo one reminded me of Mo Rush submitting London 2012's logo with the last digit changed as his Rio entry some years ago, and the rings one wasn't really an Olympic host city logo (it'd could've made a good Olympic poster though).

I like the colours and the confidence in yours. It just works.

• Like 1