Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I were Bach, I'd be sitting in Lausanne right now having my sixth dinner for tonight making sure my less-losers-agenda won't lose next week...

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

Heavy use of virtual reality so far. They're taking some notes from Pyeongchang.

You dont have to go to Minsk, just download the app and select a random number and/or letter and aim directly at the screen. Easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was kinda hoping for it to be more of a Eurovision fan’s dream tbh :ph34r: Maybe the closing will give that. Also, sounds like Bach couldn’t be arsed to go, which is a bit embarrassing for the games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Good job I’m not having a glass of wine. Also, don’t the Pan Ams get to fly the Olympic Flag at their ceremony? If so, how come we don’t?

Asian Games don't rise the Olympic Flag either. Also I think the Pan Ams stopped doing this after they properly adopted an anthem and will premiere a new flag/symbol this year. Seem things are changing a bit ever since Vazquez Raña died.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I was kinda hoping for it to be more of a Eurovision fan’s dream tbh :ph34r: Maybe the closing will give that. Also, sounds like Bach couldn’t be arsed to go, which is a bit embarrassing for the games. 

Nah, Moldova would have to host in that case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

An opera concert between the speeches is novel...

(In other news, my sig is spectacularly out of date - in my defence, I very rarely use this site on my laptop. Apologies)

Quite muted crowd response for Lukashenko there, which is rather embarrassing for him, & rather funny for everyone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is where I mute the stream. Screw Lukashenko and his self-masturbatory speech.

Good thing the next games will be held in a proper democracy. That is as long as Poland govt doesn't keeps leaning too much to the far right like they've been doing lately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The games are slowly going west - they'll reach Portugal by 2100 :p 

BT also don't seem to realise that a long speech in Belarussian without translation isn't much use...

Oh he's shut up. We have a flame &...sort-of jazz?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yoshi said:

The games are slowly going west - they'll reach Portugal by 2100 :p 

BT also don't seem to realise that a long speech in Belarussian without translation isn't much use...

Oh he's shut up. We have a flame &...sort-of jazz?!

He was speaking in russian. The whole ceremony was in russian. Reminder this guy literally eradicated belarussian language and replaced it with russian just to please Putin, to the point speaking in belarussian will make you be considered a dissident.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

He was speaking in russian. The whole ceremony was in russian. Reminder this guy literally eradicated belarussian language and replaced it with russian just to please Putin, to the point speaking in belarussian will make you be considered a dissident.

Oh. I thought the second language was Belarussian, but then I can't tell the difference tbh. Odd that a ceremony emphasising the host's identity be conducted in the language of the country that colonised it :wacko: Pretty cauldron though, & nice to see some understated fireworks that don't look like the stadium's blown up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

He was speaking in russian. The whole ceremony was in russian. Reminder this guy literally eradicated belarussian language and replaced it with russian just to please Putin, to the point speaking in belarussian will make you be considered a dissident.

Most speak Belarusian at home. It is actually goes back to the Soviet days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...