This guy in the left is one of the soldiers that will raise the Belarusian flag in the opening ceremony.

I cannot leak the stage because of rehearsals for the ceremony.

Is there an official livestream of the ceremony being streamed today on YouTube?

58 minutes ago, Shiruba98 said:

Is there an official livestream of the ceremony being streamed today on YouTube?

They do livestream events on the Olympic channel. Right now, they are doing basketball and cycling.

Heavy use of virtual reality so far. They're taking some notes from Pyeongchang.

I feel like I’ve had much too much cheese...even for an opening ceremony, some of this is seriously weird :blink:

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

Heavy use of virtual reality so far. They're taking some notes from Pyeongchang.

You dont have to go to Minsk, just download the app and select a random number and/or letter and aim directly at the screen. Easy.

That has to be the least inspiring flag ever made - it’s literally just the EOC logo on a white cloth :lol:

How many tones can that singer do, holy crap :blink:

Also, suddenly, Vangelis.

Good job I’m not having a glass of wine. Also, don’t the Pan Ams get to fly the Olympic Flag at their ceremony? If so, how come we don’t?

Just tuning in for some snippets from time to time. This seems to be as cheesy and weird as basically any of their Eurovision entries. Let's celebrate the REPUBLIC OF BELARUUUS!

I was kinda hoping for it to be more of a Eurovision fan’s dream tbh :ph34r: Maybe the closing will give that. Also, sounds like Bach couldn’t be arsed to go, which is a bit embarrassing for the games. 

11 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Good job I’m not having a glass of wine. Also, don’t the Pan Ams get to fly the Olympic Flag at their ceremony? If so, how come we don’t?

Asian Games don't rise the Olympic Flag either. Also I think the Pan Ams stopped doing this after they properly adopted an anthem and will premiere a new flag/symbol this year. Seem things are changing a bit ever since Vazquez Raña died.

If I were Bach, I'd be sitting in Lausanne right now having my sixth dinner for tonight making sure my less-losers-agenda won't lose next week...

10 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I was kinda hoping for it to be more of a Eurovision fan’s dream tbh :ph34r: Maybe the closing will give that. Also, sounds like Bach couldn’t be arsed to go, which is a bit embarrassing for the games. 

Nah, Moldova would have to host in that case.

An opera concert between the speeches is novel...

(In other news, my sig is spectacularly out of date - in my defence, I very rarely use this site on my laptop. Apologies)

Quite muted crowd response for Lukashenko there, which is rather embarrassing for him, & rather funny for everyone else.

And this is where I mute the stream. Screw Lukashenko and his self-masturbatory speech.

Good thing the next games will be held in a proper democracy. That is as long as Poland govt doesn't keeps leaning too much to the far right like they've been doing lately.

The games are slowly going west - they'll reach Portugal by 2100 :p 

BT also don't seem to realise that a long speech in Belarussian without translation isn't much use...

Oh he's shut up. We have a flame &...sort-of jazz?!

Blimey, Max Mirnyi! That's a blast from the past for tennis fans.

Just now, yoshi said:

The games are slowly going west - they'll reach Portugal by 2100 :p 

BT also don't seem to realise that a long speech in Belarussian without translation isn't much use...

Oh he's shut up. We have a flame &...sort-of jazz?!

He was speaking in russian. The whole ceremony was in russian. Reminder this guy literally eradicated belarussian language and replaced it with russian just to please Putin, to the point speaking in belarussian will make you be considered a dissident.

2 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

He was speaking in russian. The whole ceremony was in russian. Reminder this guy literally eradicated belarussian language and replaced it with russian just to please Putin, to the point speaking in belarussian will make you be considered a dissident.

Oh. I thought the second language was Belarussian, but then I can't tell the difference tbh. Odd that a ceremony emphasising the host's identity be conducted in the language of the country that colonised it :wacko: Pretty cauldron though, & nice to see some understated fireworks that don't look like the stadium's blown up.

3 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Most speak Belarusian at home. It is actually goes back to the Soviet days. 

4 hours ago, yoshi said:

That has to be the least inspiring flag ever made - it’s literally just the EOC logo on a white cloth :lol:

I liked the Belarusian flag better. It's a really beautiful design.