It's still not pretty good considering there is less than two months before the games, but lets hope the number increases in January. However it's almost certain this will end up being a Nagano 2.0 (having to give away a considerable part of the tickets to schoolkids and eldery people)

Yeah. CoSport doesn't have any Opening Ceremony tickets available. I think it's best to go to the ticket offices in South Korea and get some there. It's the only way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they are already activating Plan B to alleviate the letdown which was the tickets sale of these games. Seoul is going to give away 42.000 tickets for free to low income and multicultural families to encourage them to come to the games. I saw comments online and a lot of citizens from Seoul seem very pissed, though, saying that in the end they will have to pay for the games with tax money, and that the people wasn't even asked before making decisions. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1060120/pyeongchang-2018-tickets-to-be-distributed-to-low-income-families-in-seoul

Pyeongchang 2018 tickets to be distributed to low-income families in Seoul

A total of 42,000 tickets for next month's Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang will be distributed to low-income families in Seoul, Mayor Park Won-soon has announced.

The Seoul Metropolitan Government have purchased an additional 20,000 tickets after 22,000 were bought by 25 district offices.

The move comes as part of a series of measures from the Metropolitan Government to support the Games, due to take place from February 9 to 25.

Free shuttle buses from the South Korean capital, located around 126 kilometres from Pyeongchang, to Olympic venues will be provided to those given tickets.

Park said low-income and multi-racial families would also be offered free food and drink.

The free tickets will be for events which are not expected to be well attended, such as cross-country skiing and biathlon.

"This Olympics aims for social integration and is a means to enhance inter-Korean ties, Seoul will fully mobilise personnel and supplies to help the event," Park said, according to the Korea Times.

"This is more than a national competition; the event provides an opportunity to enhance societal friendships with citizens from all over the globe." 

"We will work as if the Pyeongchang Olympics is jointly hosted by Gangwon Province and Seoul."

Other measures which will be put in place by the Metropolitan Government include the dispatch of around 6,950 volunteers to Pyeongchang.

Vehicles such as 44 low floor buses and 50 taxis for those with a disability will also be provided.

Ticketing has been one of the main concerns for Pyeongchang 2018 in the build-up to the Games amid low sales.

Seats for events have been bought by banks and even President Moon Jae-in in a bid to ensure there are not empty venues.

Winter sports officials have admitted they are not expecting full venues during the event.

Pyeongchang 2018 have always insisted, however, that the bulk of sales would come in the days and weeks leading up to the Opening Ceremony on February 9.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Thwarted.

Non-resident foreign in person ticket sales are not allowed until February 2nd.  Yep - one week in advance.  It appears the Opening is almost sold out so I don't think I'm going.

Why not try online? 

Btw how are the prices compared to previous winter games? I looked at some of the prices and said wow that is pricey!

CoSport has no Opening Ceremony tickets available (Australian shop) and as I posted a few posts above the online PC18 ticket shop directs me to CoSport and doesn't allow me to complete my order.

Plus the CoSport mark up is obscene and of course it is almost exclusively the premium seats only on offer.

1 hour ago, anthonyliberatori said:

Any update on the percentage of tickets sold? How are they looking with reaching their goal? I know they said many of the buyers would roll in at the last minute.

They are not giving any more information. At late December they seemingly sold between 60-65%. But given the fact they're starting to give away tickets for free, my guess is they didn't do very well and are trying to alleviate the whole mess. This is Nagano 98 all over again, pretty much. 

7 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

They are not giving any more information. At late December they seemingly sold between 60-65%. But given the fact they're starting to give away tickets for free, my guess is they didn't do very well and are trying to alleviate the whole mess. This is Nagano 98 all over again, pretty much. 

Ah, that's not good at all. I was thinking the same when I saw three different adds under the "News" section of my google search of "Pyeongchang 2018" that were related to planning a last minute trip to the Olympics. I think they're still trying to do their best, but you're right. It's looking rather similar to Nagano at this point, hopefully people either show up in droves over the next week and a half or they figure something out. 

Just now, intoronto said:

Any of the indoor sports (besides figure skating) and men's moguls. I plan on buying them at the box office. 

Men's hockey should be fun to watch, they are missing some of the big names but it's still supposed to be just as grand as usual. Plus the women's hockey games will be very fun, especially if you can make it to one of the ones with the Unified Korean time. You will have an amazing time! Did you find it hard to find accommodations? I know many are/were split on staying near Pyeongchang or commuting on the train from Seoul every day to their event.

• 2 weeks later...

http://aroundtherings.com/site/A__62711/Title__Ticket-Sales-Rate-Increasing-Says-PyeongChang-Head/292/Articles

Ticket sales have reportedly started to increase, currently a little over 77%. If I remember correctly, Russia went into February with around 79% or 80% meaning Pyeongchang is still a little behind. The article does say that they are selling between 7,000-10,000 tickets a day, which will hopefully bring that number between 80%-85% of the tickets sold by the end of the Games, if not more.

Given this trend, I hope this Opening Ceremony wows people in SK to come out. The article states how the ceremonies are among the hardest events to sell, but hopefully many watch from their homes and are motivated to attend another event, or maybe even the closing ceremony, and tickets spike up immediately after the opening ceremony to help fill in the empty stadiums.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/winter-olympics-2018/2018/02/16/winter-olympics-empty-seats/347647002/

Games organizers said Saturday that more than 92% of 1.06 million tickets available to the public have been sold. Friday’s Games marked the best single day yet for the Games with nearly 108,000 tickets sold, said Sung Baik You, spokesman for the Pyeongchang Organizing Committee (POCOG).

According to the organizers, Pyeongchang has sold 92% of their tickets. We can expect this number to rise a little bit more as well to fill in this week's events, however it will likely not be a large increase, as many of this week's events are expensive medal matches. What was Sochi's final ticket sale percentage? Hopefully this influx of ticket sales helps leave Pyeongchang with as low of a deficit as possible. 

2 hours ago, hektor said:

where Is the French guy who was saying that the PC games would end in abject failure? 

They look quite ok from what I saw during my first two days there

Tulsa will come around sooner or later, likely with pictures of Annecy at the moment or some picture of a French athlete who could've won Gold had Annecy won. I'm glad you're enjoying your time in Pyeongchang though!